Lime

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddsaysgimmie

Reaction score
Someone once told me that "lime" sprinkled in the cage trays can cut down on odors. Is this true? If so, what kind of lime would that be and where do I buy it? I'm assuming it's not the fruit. :lol:

Lime powder (hydrated lime or agricultural lime) is fairly caustic to animals, and irritates the respiratory tract and mucous membranes.

There are granules called "Stall Dry" that have lime and other neutralizing minerals in a form that does not become airborne

But I have found the best way to deal with ammonia odors is to use wood pellets - either bedding pellets or stove pellets, they all work the same (I get whatever is on sale)

The pellets absorb moisture and the wood has natural enzymes that break down ammonia.

Sawdust will also work well, shavings help but do not absorb as much and have less molecular surface area for the chemistry between the ammonia and wood to take place, so ammonia and odor builds up faster.

I use Lyme from TSC, never had a problem dusting my coop, around the coop, under rabbit cages and other wet areas. Really cut down on flies!
You can also add water to some Lyme powder and paint walls to brighten and clean it up.

I use a sifter to dust Ag Lime and Diatomaceous Earth underneath my rabbit cages. The ones in my BunnyBarn are about 2' above ground level, and the growout cages are quite a bit higher.

I have no worries about dusting the ground with the ag lyme, but would not use it in rabbit tryas - too close to the buns' sensitive noses and eyes.

Will get some pics up of the pellets I use in trays. Have gone up to a week between cleanings (try to do them twice a week) with good results. Often, you can scoop out the wet/ soiled parts and stir the dry pellets back into the potty corners, takes a couple minutes during feeding time.

All right, I will try to find something with lime in it like Stall Dry.

I do use wood pellets and sometimes shavings, depending on what is available. The wood pellets are definitely useful and make cleaning much easier. :) Since I have the bunnies in the basement, I would like to keep odors to a minimum.

I have been using that as well. Not sure if it's working.. since the boxes are so small, it's hard to use what looks to be enough to really help.

Also, what is Diatomaceous Earth used for when putting it under cages?

siddsaysgimmie":1eibwlfu said:
since the boxes are so small, it's hard to use what looks to be enough to really help.

Well, that's your problem right there! :eek:

I buy 13-1/2lb bags of it at Costco. :mrgreen:

You want it for trays and i am assumming it is the trays that slide under the cages wire floor. If it is, and the rabbits cannot get to it, you can use clumping kitty litter and scoop it out daily.

Make sure the bunnies feet cannot pick up any of the clumping litter, if they eat to much of it they can get an intestinal blockage when it expands inside them.

You can also use clay kitty litter but you will loose some of the litter when sifting out the 'berries'.

Thanks everyone. :) I'll try the clumping litter in some of them and try to see if I can find baking soda in a bigger box than 500 grams. Also going to look for Stall Dry.

Someone also told me that putting some ACV into the water can help with odor as well.. anyone else hear this? I know it's good for other things, but only heard for cutting down on odors once or twice.

I have used acv for odor, but got better results with vanilla flavoring.

Stall Dry is DE and clay

Baking soda will lose its effectiveness the minute it gets wet--

Hmm.. so would DE be a better plan?? I don't even know what that is to be honest.

Can they safely drink the vanilla? If so, how much do you use?

DE is diatomaceos Earth, the skeletons of marine coral from prehistoric times. It keeps insects out but I doubt it will do much for odor. It's also used as an insecticide in organic gardening.

There is a such thing as barn lime, a sweet lime. I have not had a problem with it. But neither lime , DE or ACV has been any help. The only thing that really help me was emptying the trays more frequently.

Anything that will absorb and hold onto a liquid will help reduce ammonia odors--Once the absorbing material gets saturated- it is no longer effective.

I found the vanilla worked well enough to reduce the fly population under the open ended tarp (garage in a box and a patio tarp) the rabbits were kept under.

VAnilla and ACV dosage is about 1 Tbl per gallon of drinking water.

Now, something I have also done, a cup of white vinegar in a gallon of water, and mist the trays daily between cleanings

Latest posts

Back