Lilac New Zealand

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink

Reaction score
I was told one of my "Blue" New Zealand sisters was, essentially, Blue. However, if you put her and her littermate side-by-side you can distinct quite a difference in their colors.

According to Evans Rabbit Software, their sire and dam would produce:

- 28.76% (unlinked) 32.05% (linked) Black
- 17.46% (unlinked) 19.34% (linked) Blue
- etc. etc. etc. etc.
- 6.15% (unlinked) 5.28% (linked) Lilac

And in that specific litter, there were just that! Several 6 Blacks and 4 "Blues"

I personally think they produced 6 Blacks, 3 Blues and 1 Lilac

I read somewhere blue with poor color can often be mistaken for a lilac... But, she has a pink/purple tone to her silver-blue fur... Where as her sister has a darker blue coat, which I've seen with "regular" New Zealand Blues.

Binti, the rabbit I think is "Lilac"
522958_2608696916615_1830727901_1615894_2008270643_n.jpg

Aviva (Binti's littermate on the right) and an other doe (NOT Binti)
292589_2608695796587_1830727901_1615890_612248800_n.jpg

Also, her eyes are blue-grey with a pink/purple cast... Her sister's eyes are very dark compared to hers.

She is very pretty! Her head appears darker in the photo- maybe she is just going through a coat transition?

MamaSheepdog":1mlbypzp said:
She is very pretty! Her head appears darker in the photo- maybe she is just going through a coat transition?

It's the lighting; the bright and sunny window is to her rear. She's all one color.

You could be right though...

She does look lilac to me, but usually you can go by the color on her nose and ears, because that doesn't change much through molt or coat change.

There is different shades of blue, Just like in the reds. THey are the same. I seen some reds that are more of a brown tone then red.
Buy the next color after the blue is liliac. So it is possible. I know in siamese cats there is blue point then i the lighter color there is liliac. Along with seal point and chocolate point. Which are close but not. If that makes any sense..

OneAcreFarm":170l288q said:
Here is a pic of my Lilac Rex, for comparison...

Thanks. I put my Lilac English Spot side-by-side for comparison, and they're [my NZ doe and ES buck] the exact same color.

Hope you get a lilac!!

I have one doe that delivers the most beautiful "lilac" kits you ever saw. Latter, when they shed their juvenile fur, they become what I would call "gray agouti". Since I have purposefully mixed up all kinds of breeds, I don't have any idea of the genes involved. Now that I know it is going to happen, it's OK, but with the first one, I was extremely disappointed it didn't stay the original color. I had a blue buck, that would get red guard(?) hairs every summer, then, by December, they would all shed out, Have no idea what was going on with that one.

avdpas77":1vctjpvn said:
I had a blue buck, that would get red guard(?) hairs every summer, then, by December, they would all shed out, Have no idea what was going on with that one.

That is "sunburn"...blacks, blues, chocolates and lilacs will get that from exposure to sunlight.

Back