Life Goals?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I don't really know what I am going to do after high school. I like genetics and animals and science. I don't really plan on going to college unless I can pay it off in 1-2 years. I really don't want to pay off debt the rest of my life when I could be enjoying it. I could start a business. Any Ideas?

Maybe start a farm? It's hard work for sure but it involves genetics, animals, and science. If you want to work directly with genetics you gonna have to have some type of college degree although, I believe you can get an associates to work in a lab? You'll have to do research on that one to find out for sure.

If you're good with your hands at all, you might look into things like auto repair, HVAC, or simply going to work in industry. I know a young man who didn't want to go to college but wasn't afraid to work and was fairly good with his hands. He went to work as the lowest hand at the local paper mill for $19/hr (after passing their mechanical aptitude test) at 19 years of age. He has been working there a couple of years now and has gotten a couple of raises for time worked. He still lives with mom and dad but he's working on buying some land and already has his own tractor and lots of equipment all paid for. Sure beats student loans for sure.

If you're unsure about college, don't go straight out of high school. That goes against everything I was taught, but choosing a degree which influences your career options is not something you should take lightly. Too many of my friends went to college and weren't prepared for the responsibility and either dropped out or failed out (still having to pay back those loans). Get some work experience and then decide if college is for you. It might not be and that's ok.

I love teaching and so had to go to college. My younger brother stayed in college 1 semester and decided it wasn't for him. He started his own business cutting trees and makes a good living, he farms too. My younger sister is working on her Ph.D at 23 and has had significant job offers from around the country. As you can see just from me and my siblings, college can offer some opportunities and it might be required for certain jobs, but it most certainly isn't a requirement to make money. You can always go back to school later if you decide to. Plenty of adults go back to college or go for the first time, there is nothing wrong with it.

Off the top of my head, some jobs you might look into: farming as mentioned by alforddm, pet grooming, my childhood dream was to run a pet shop, leaping off farming you could sell meat for raw fed pets, certain types of rare and humanely raised livestock are in high demand. Those shouldn't require college education. Courses in agriculture or business management might help you fine tune some of the skills needed, but that could come later. Other jobs could be working in a vet's office as an assistant or technician (there are online courses to become a registered vet tech), zoo keeper (I think a bachelor's degree in a science field is typically required), a laboratory (this is often repetitive work). Depending on the type of work you wish to do in genetics, you may need a PhD. Many colleges will offer stipends for doctoral candidates, so they are paying you to go to school. If you get your bachelor's degree from a small (cheap) school, you wouldn't have too much debt.

If you are good with hands and like interacting with people look into radiography you hav options of being paid over your holidays so you end out at the other end with not too big a debt and its a good paying job. Plus you have many different choices to specialize in if one of those lines interest you. Technology is always evolving so always something to keep you interested.

Genetics, animals and science.
Yeah, don't do collage unless or until you have a specific career in mind. I've seen too many friends graduate with TONS of debt, and a degree that isn't actually useful.
I hate to say it, but the most profitable jobs in those fields today are probably working for companies that spend a lot researching and developing GMOs.
Breeding animals on a small scale isn't likely to earn enough to buy most houses or properties, or to pay the bills..
I'm not sure about what part of PA you are in, but in my part, there are few pet shops left open. Hobby breeders like us seem to have taken over most of the pet trade, and I think you already know how that can be. Most of us are lucky to break even.
Competition for veterinary careers can be quite fierce. I do know one girl who successfully entered a small town practice in SW NY. She worked there part time during her last years of high school. She must have made a great impression, because they promised to hire her on as a vet tech if she went to school for it. She did well, and is a working vet tech now.

Consider researching state agricultural or forestry positions...

I guess the real question is "Where do you want to live after high school?" If you wish to stay in your area, you need to look around and see what is needed.

I have $10k debt for no degree due to my parents forcing me into college. I should have just gone off to work at horse stables and farms and I might have avoided many health issues by being that active as well as having a career now. I didn't walk away with nothing from college. I took the equine veterinary classes and then some computer stuff but definitely not $10k worth. I just kept trying and trying because I was told I had to get a degree and it was the only way to get a good job. It dragged on for 6 years at a community college. Unless you know the exact career you want, that it will require a degree, and have a program in mind it's better to pursue jobs you can learn from instead of going straight to college. So many people end up swapping degrees or if motivated getting 2 degrees because their first one isn't going to work out.

I agree, take your time. Both my parents and my ILs are very much "you have to have a college degree" for various reasons. I knew I wanted to get married, start a family, and raise my children so I got a degree in Child Development :lol: . It's kind of ridiculous b/c I don't agree with most of what I was taught :roll: , but it appeased my parents and I'm not technically wasting my degree. My BIL and sister both went into law school and he was PAYING someone to work for them, just to get experience in hopes that he could later get a job (in a high cost of living are, with student loans and childcare). There was a miscommunication about my student loans and when my parents said something about how much was owed, me being 20 years old and a bit caught off guard, was a bit rude about it because I didn't even want to go in the first place :oops: , and would have most definitely chose somewhere cheaper but they insisted on the one school. Now that I am older I feel horribly guilty about it and want to help, but they won't let me. They also wouldn't let me help with my car payments and insurance while complaining about money issues so what did I do? Sold the car... solved that "little" issue :whistle:

ANd now I am rambling, surprise surprise.

If nothing else, maybe take some business classes at a local community college. Or look into apprenticeship options if you have any in your area. What about welding? That seems like a pretty high demand trade with not a lot of people that do it (at least in our area). It could pay the bills and you could piddle with other interests on the side.

Certified welders make big bucks and are in high demand. You sometimes have to move from job to job as they are used in construction quite a bit but it's not always the case.

There is a welding school in Tulsa, Ok

Today, in my 40's and with 4 kids at home, I wish I could do a stint as a WWOOFer (WorldWide Opportunities in Organic Farming). You work the farm, get room and board, work with some cool people, and when you've learned all you can, you move on to the next farm. It's not glamorous. It's actually kind of hippie-Spartan, but the wealth of knowledge you could come away with about some things you already love is amazing. You might find your niche and get great advice on how to get an education (not always college or tech school) in that direction.

Or you might suddenly find you don't like animal genetics, etc. as much as you thought you did. :eek:

Either way, it's a great resume item and possibly a great experience, according to the people I've known who've done it.

https://wwoofusa.org/

SoDak Thriver":3g4ehgad said:
Today, in my 40's and with 4 kids at home, I wish I could do a stint as a WWOOFer (WorldWide Opportunities in Organic Farming). You work the farm, get room and board, work with some cool people, and when you've learned all you can, you move on to the next farm. It's not glamorous. It's actually kind of hippie-Spartan, but the wealth of knowledge you could come away with about some things you already love is amazing. You might find your niche and get great advice on how to get an education (not always college or tech school) in that direction.

Or you might suddenly find you don't like animal genetics, etc. as much as you thought you did. :eek:

Either way, it's a great resume item and possibly a great experience, according to the people I've known who've done it.

I would LOVE to intern at Polyface Farms with Joel Salatin...

SoDak Thriver":1cmemsuk said:

We're going to get set up with lodging for Wwoofers! lol

Definitely what everyone has said is good advice. When choosing a career it's important to pick something that will be able to fall in line with your other life goals, like eventually owning a home or having a family. Sometimes farming won't support that, so just be thinking about those things. Staying out of debt is huge. Don't do credit cards or student loans and save up for things that you want like vehicals or eventually a house. Don't go to college if you aren't ready. Consider going into the military, even for a 3 or 4 year stint. It will pay you decent, allow a free college education, plus give you something to do while you figure things out. And 3 or 4 years of anything is doable. Best decision my husband made right out of high school and not being ready for college:) Best of Luck!

So my daughter is going to college. UH Manoa on Oahu (Honolulu). She wants to be a doctor but is not 100% sure so she's working towards a degree in biology. She knows she wants to do something science related. There are some degrees that are good to get and then if you want to narrow it down to teaching, MD, DVM, etc etc you go on to take more classes in that field.

She's doing this totally on scholarship and student loans. She was lucky enough to get tuition paid by scholarship but still has to cover everything else like dorms, food, etc. So she is taking student loans and works hospice full time.

I don't think there is anything wrong with working towards a degree if you think you'll go down that road. The general education requirements for the first year are all pretty much the same. Math, science, english... history. Those classes go towards any degree program. I wish I had gotten a degree. I'm 37 and wish I had gotten a degree when I was younger, in anything... I see so many jobs now that I would love. Teaching, working at the national park, etc. But since I don't have a degree I can't do it. If I had a degree, most jobs would require either no additional education or a few classes to make me qualified.

I'm not pushing for a degree, I told my daughter to "do what makes you happy". I'd support any choice she made. Just don't rule out college because of money. Its like ruling out buying a house because you pay on it for 30 years. Its an investment in your future.

One more thought: Berea College in KY and College of the Ozarks are two colleges that are free. Students will have to work for the free education, but it's another option if you would like a college experience. And as Dayna pointed out, there are scholarships. You may actually find the small private schools with the higher price tags are better at offering these than state universities. Don't limit yourself because of perceived costs: asking about financial assistance is free, and the worst that can happen is someone tells you no. (And then you just pick yourself up, go to the next candidate, and look for apprenticeships and/or other opportunities along the way.) Best wishes!

A number of the gentleman in DH's family are barbers part time, and do farming the rest of the time. They seem to go hand in hand around here :cool: DH wishes he would have gone to barber school earlier in life. His grandpa really wanted him to, and he always thought he would eventually do it. Now that he has a family to support (there's no way I could bring in an equal income, even if I wanted to), he can't :(

Latest posts

Back