Let's talk Guns!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marinea":1zspu51v said:
We don't have children around much either. When we do, it's the children of friends, and they all know about the guns (and generally have some themselves).

Why do we have them, and so many types? First of all, average police response time to our neck of the woods is over 30 minutes. Second, we have bears, snakes (the government released rattlesnakes out here a few years ago), and coyotes. We have livestock and pets to protect. Third, hubby hunts (for meat). Fourth, we both enjoy target shooting.

And yes, I like my Colts. Glocks are too chunky for my hands. Colts just seem to have the best balance to me.

I take my personal safety, and the safety of my family, as a responsibility that I do not trust to others that may take 15-30 min to respond. I was in the military, but before that, my father taught me to safely handle and shoot weapons. My husband is a former Marine and we have many guns in our home. Some locked up, some not. Our children are taught at an early age NOT to touch a gun that we have not expressly put in their hands and to come directly to get us if they see an unattended gun anywhere. We wear our carry weapons everywhere that we can, especially in our home. It does no good having it if you cannot get to it when you need it.

AnnClaire":3igmo2gz said:
I carry my Kimber UCII in .45 when I go to the metro (OKC, Lawton, Tulsa, etc.) otherwise, I carry my Springfield EMP 9mm ... with my Beretta Bobcat .22 in my purse/bag.

We also own wheel guns, semi autos, bolt actions in calibers ranging from .22 to .308 and my state just went to OPEN CARRY!!! WooHoo!!!

As for posting on a forum such as this, well, lets just say that after being a bailbondsman and a private investigator, the bad guys in this town DO NOT mess with me or my property!!!! And, since we generally don't have small children in the house, there is anywhere from one to any number of guns within reach at any time :p

Besides, shooting as a sport is fun and you meet the nicest people at a gun range!

Woohoo! I love me some open carry! And it's true, you do meet the nicest people at the gun range.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am __________<br /><br />
OneAcreFarm":3igmo2gz said:
Marinea":3igmo2gz said:
We don't have children around much either. When we do, it's the children of friends, and they all know about the guns (and generally have some themselves).

Why do we have them, and so many types? First of all, average police response time to our neck of the woods is over 30 minutes. Second, we have bears, snakes (the government released rattlesnakes out here a few years ago), and coyotes. We have livestock and pets to protect. Third, hubby hunts (for meat). Fourth, we both enjoy target shooting.

And yes, I like my Colts. Glocks are too chunky for my hands. Colts just seem to have the best balance to me.

I take my personal safety, and the safety of my family, as a responsibility that I do not trust to others that may take 15-30 min to respond. I was in the military, but before that, my father taught me to safely handle and shoot weapons. My husband is a former Marine and we have many guns in our home. Some locked up, some not. Our children are taught at an early age NOT to touch a gun that we have not expressly put in their hands and to come directly to get us if they see an unattended gun anywhere. We wear our carry weapons everywhere that we can, especially in our home. It does no good having it if you cannot get to it when you need it.

+1 to that. DH and I carry everywhere we go, and all the time around the house. The safest place is with you, and when 100% of home invasions happen at home, it's awfully dang rude to ask the invader to wait just a tick while you go arm up. And I'm all about being polite :lol:

i think the shotgun is the best all around hunting/defense weapon

i think a side load thirty thirty is the best assault rifle...no mag to reload...load on fly...just load yer pockets with a few hundred rounds before the zombies cross the kill line...

my drill instructor in the jar head corps pumped "one shot one kill" into all our grapes 24x7...i think there is truth here.

I tend to disagree. The shotguns I've handled were a lot less smooth and easy than my 30-30. Much harder kick, tougher to aim, heavy and hard to balance.

Plus for protection...have fun carrying that thing around all day, LOL. A handgun in a holster is a better choice for daily use.

Fun video about that idiot Biden and his statements about shotguns versus the AR-15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl0_KitMQ0

hillbottom":cer94rqz said:

I think that the best hunting/defense weapon is one you can use comfortably and accurately. No such thing as one size fits all. I can shoot a shotgun, but it hurts my shoulder after a few shots. I can hit you in the shoulder with a .40, but in the heart with a 9mm.

Then there's the fact that a scoped rifle is excellent for taking a deer, but works poorly around corners in a house.

It's all about what works for each individual and their situation.<br /><br />__________ Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm __________<br /><br />
Kyle@theHeathertoft":cer94rqz said:
Fun video about that idiot Biden and his statements about shotguns versus the AR-15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLl0_KitMQ0

While I see the point the video was trying to make, and agree with it; it still bothers me because those women likely could handle a shotgun just fine if they'd get in the proper stance!

"Take a double-barreled shotgun and fire two rounds into the air..."

I don't take gun advice from people whose first instinct is to empty the magazine into the air.

My brother owns 20 guns. I shoot his for target practice and whatever but have never gone hunting. Now that the new bill was passed in Colorado though we have to lock 4 of them in a safe and never take them out or my brother will be arrested -_- freaking government. What ever happiened to "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". I'm sorry government but that doesn't mean "so long as they have the weakest powered slowest to shoot gun then they are okay..... If we went by a well regulated militia we should still have the right to own tanks, machean guns, heck even safely contained bombs!

cowgirl9768":2x241j0x said:
If we went by a well regulated militia we should still have the right to own tanks, machean guns, heck even safely contained bombs!

I really don't want my neighbor to own a tank. It would rip the hell out of our dirt road :D

I and Hubs carry Glock23s in 40cal, and the youngest two shoot Glock 19s in 9mm. Our eldest shoots a 23 as well.

We also have tactical rifles- those nasty "scary black guns" (AR-15s), precision rifles, shotguns, .22 rifles, pellet rifles, and BB guns.

But having them does nothing for you unless you have trained with them. We have been in training for the past three years or so, mostly with the handguns, but also have taken courses in Shotgun, Tactical, and Precision Rifle.

Hubs and I have put over thirteen thousand rounds through our Glocks.

PistolPackingMomma":2uovoo40 said:
hillbottom":2uovoo40 said:

I can shoot a shotgun, but it hurts my shoulder after a few shots.

Try the "Limb Saver":

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php

That and snugging the bottom half of the butt of the shotgun properly in the pocket of your shoulder will help immensely.

Shotguns are the preferred home defense weapon because the bullet velocity is less and wont be as likely to penetrate walls and wound innocents. Plus if loaded with buckshot, accuracy is not as crucial.

Don't fall for the line to "rack the shotgun and they will run away". Not only do you lose the element of surprise, but now the bad guy knows where you are. Tactically very unwise.

coffeenutdesigns":2uovoo40 said:
I would like to point out the handiness of a "pocket" gun, like a little .25 or .22. They don't pack much of a wallop, but when you are being attacked, if you reach for a small pistol in your pocket instead of having to grab an attacker's arm around your throat, you can certainly make a point.

Carrying a pistol in your pocket is not a very safe way to carry, and a small caliber like that has no stopping power. An assailant can put you in a world of hurt in the time it takes to bleed out from a couple little holes.

Your carry weapon should be properly secured in a holster, preferably Kydex. We have ours custom made- the one below is an inside the belt holster. There is a tensioning screw on it. I can invert the holster and shake it without the handgun falling out, yet present quickly and smoothly.

IMG_7176.JPGIMG_7177.JPG

PistolPackingMomma":2uovoo40 said:
Woohoo! I love me some open carry!

Open carry is tactically unwise. Who do you suppose will get shot first by the guy burgling a convenience store- the person with a visible gun, or the kid with a bag of Fritos?

If you do carry openly, and ideally even if you carry concealed, hopefully you have taken courses in handgun retention so you can prevent someone from grabbing your gun in the first place, and reacquire it safely if they do happen to get it.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2uovoo40 said:

Plus for protection...have fun carrying that thing around all day, LOL. A handgun in a holster is a better choice for daily use.

You use a handgun to fight your way to your shotgun to fight your way to your rifle. :mrgreen:

Handguns are not the best choice of defensive weapon because they don't have the stopping power of a shotgun or rifle, nor do they have the range. But carrying a long gun around all day is not legal in most areas, so a handgun is the only option available to us.

phillinley":2ecavj6g said:
cowgirl9768":2ecavj6g said:
If we went by a well regulated militia we should still have the right to own tanks, machean guns, heck even safely contained bombs!

I really don't want my neighbor to own a tank. It would rip the hell out of our dirt road :D

hahaha :laugh: :yes: this is true but you get my point :tease: now I just feel like I need to add this :2guns:

Happy":qo19g6j8 said:
"Take a double-barreled shotgun and fire two rounds into the air..."

I don't take gun advice from people whose first instinct is to empty the magazine into the air.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Crap I hadn't thought about that!!! Oh jeez!!!

MaSheepdog I think personally really like pocket carrying and feel its very safe as long as you use a pocket holster. I tend to wear cargo style pants and drawing from a pocket holster vs IWB holster is equally quick and safe in my opinion.

DonnerSurvivor":31q02xma said:
MaSheepdog I think personally really like pocket carrying and feel its very safe as long as you use a pocket holster.

Holstered, yes. :) Loose in your pocket- no.

I apologize if the OP was referring to carrying a holstered pistol in their pocket.

MamaSheepdog":14p1c3x5 said:
Open carry is tactically unwise. Who do you suppose will get shot first by the guy burgling a convenience store- the person with a visible gun, or the kid with a bag of Fritos?

If you do carry openly, and ideally even if you carry concealed, hopefully you have taken courses in handgun retention so you can prevent someone from grabbing your gun in the first place, and reacquire it safely if they do happen to get it.

I don't really want to start the OC/CC debate, as I personally believe everyone should carry however they are most comfortable with, and to me, the most important thing is that they carry at all.

Now, that said, the "you'll be targeted first" discussion point has been repeated countless times, and yet, there are no reported instances of an OC'er being targeted for their visible weapon. I believe there are three or less confirmed instances of an OC'er having their weapon taken, and I don't believe they were using retention holsters, which my husband and I always use when we travel to an OC friendly state.

When my husband and I do travel to OC friendly states (several states, multiple times a year for the past three years) we practice situational awareness, watch each other's backs, "weapon check" our guns with our elbows frequently, and always use retention holsters. We also carry back up guns, so even if we were initially disarmed, we would not be rendered unable to fight back.

Who do I think will get shot first? Honestly, first of all, so few people notice, that it's almost a moot point, but those that do generally do not freak out. A criminal intent upon a crime is generally going to have tunnel vision, and there are confirmed reports of criminals who went somewhere else because they happened to notice armed citizens around. (http://www.examiner.com/article/open-ca ... y-kennesaw, for one example.)

I liken it to having two identical houses side by side, with the only difference being one house has a very large dog on the porch. The other doesn't.

Which do you think a criminal (by nature, a coward interested only easy scores and his self preservation) will choose?

PistolPackingMomma":295mg12a said:
to me, the most important thing is that they carry at all.

Absolutely. I think personal safety is the responsibility of the individual. If you don't carry a handgun, you should be proficient in hand to hand combat, knife skills, or at the very least carry a taser or mace.

MamaSheepdog":3iyehbl2 said:
I and Hubs carry Glock23s in 40cal, and the youngest two shoot Glock 19s in 9mm. Our eldest shoots a 23 as well.

We also have tactical rifles- those nasty "scary black guns" (AR-15s), precision rifles, shotguns, .22 rifles, pellet rifles, and BB guns.

But having them does nothing for you unless you have trained with them. We have been in training for the past three years or so, mostly with the handguns, but also have taken courses in Shotgun, Tactical, and Precision Rifle.

Hubs and I have put over thirteen thousand rounds through our Glocks.

PistolPackingMomma":3iyehbl2 said:
hillbottom":3iyehbl2 said:

I can shoot a shotgun, but it hurts my shoulder after a few shots.

Try the "Limb Saver":

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php

That and snugging the bottom half of the butt of the shotgun properly in the pocket of your shoulder will help immensely.

Shotguns are the preferred home defense weapon because the bullet velocity is less and wont be as likely to penetrate walls and wound innocents. Plus if loaded with buckshot, accuracy is not as crucial.

Don't fall for the line to "rack the shotgun and they will run away". Not only do you lose the element of surprise, but now the bad guy knows where you are. Tactically very unwise.

coffeenutdesigns":3iyehbl2 said:
I would like to point out the handiness of a "pocket" gun, like a little .25 or .22. They don't pack much of a wallop, but when you are being attacked, if you reach for a small pistol in your pocket instead of having to grab an attacker's arm around your throat, you can certainly make a point.

Carrying a pistol in your pocket is not a very safe way to carry, and a small caliber like that has no stopping power. An assailant can put you in a world of hurt in the time it takes to bleed out from a couple little holes.

Your carry weapon should be properly secured in a holster, preferably Kydex. We have ours custom made- the one below is an inside the belt holster. There is a tensioning screw on it. I can invert the holster and shake it without the handgun falling out, yet present quickly and smoothly.

View attachment 1

PistolPackingMomma":3iyehbl2 said:
Woohoo! I love me some open carry!

Kyle@theHeathertoft":3iyehbl2 said:

You use a handgun to fight your way to your shotgun to fight your way to your rifle. :mrgreen:

Handguns are not the best choice of defensive weapon because they don't have the stopping power of a shotgun or rifle, nor do they have the range. But carrying a long gun around all day is not legal in most areas, so a handgun is the only option available to us.

yep two things come to mind:

1) the little gun is to get to the big gun

2) if you don't have it on you it does not matter

i carry a taurus PT-22 - like the 3030 - you can load a single at a time. no mag to screw with just pack a few doz 22 rounds in yer pocket and blast yer way to the shot gun.

If I'm shooting, I am shooting more than one round. A 22 correctly positioned will stop someone. Again that is training and then training. And going out and training. It's not an aim down the barrel and shoot..it's a triangular stance with the point of the triangle aimed at someones chest and pulling the trigger. 10% of shooting should be aiming down the barrel, the other 90% should be triangulation. If being attacked you won't have time to carefully aim down that barrel.

I'm a newbie at concealed carry and have a SW 380 bodyguard. I was fortunate to take a hand gun class from an x-state patrol officer and he was a trainer for them for 14 years. It was a great class and he taught tactical not aim down the barrel and shoot. We did just a little of that. But by that time my target was already "dead" from triangulation shooting. Hoping to take the advanced class next month<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 am __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":1r6cdbnt said:
Nor do I, and I am not against it, I just don't have any. The time it would take me to get it out, if the need would arise, one of 4 German shepherds could react faster, and with more accuracy than I can, if it is a matter of person protection.

I can't take my german shepherd with me everywhere :)

LOL - this thread is fun to read!!! Nothing like being "amongst friends" :p

I have taken a lot of tactical gun classes and, yes, when it comes down to it, shot placement over caliber can be quite effective in many situations. But, when it comes to the junkie stoned on ice/crack/etc, stopping power can be the best option. That is why I carry the two different calibers, and my second mag is loaded with solid lead shot, the JHP loaded in the pistol.

For home defense, I actually prefer my .30 cal carbine which was specifically designed to cross both pistol and rifle in one, easily manageable platform. It is one of the original CQB rifles that was not "spray and pray" :D But, my AR-15 is a close second with the collapsable stock :p Of course, in a home situation, some #4 shot out of my 20ga doesn't hurt, but I am still wanting the pistol grip for my 12ga.

And, as for a pump shotgun, I believe it is the UNIVERSAL "Leave and live, stay and die" that cannot be mistaken for any other sound!

And that Kennesaw story is just the icing on the cake for Open Carry! :laugh2: However, I do accept the compromise Oklahoma came up with for Open Carry ... yes, we still have to buy the Concealed Carry License, but that allows us the choice to carry openly or concealed. And, honestly, I like to know that people carrying have had to pass at least a low level of proficiency with a weapon. I know when I was taking the pistol portion of the Private Investigator licensing, there was 15 out of a class of 20 that came to the pistol shoot with NIB guns and had never shot a gun before! OMG!!! Now, that was scary! Since the pistol shoot was run in relays of 5 shooters, all of us that were experienced shooters made one relay :laugh2:

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 ... and I hope to never have to shoot to stop a threat or protect someone, but I am guaranteed the right to do so.

The "doped up" argument really only has merit where PCP is popular, which is almost nowhere. Drugs will make you do stupid thing,s but only PCP is a waking anesthetic, meaning that other druggies can still feel the pain of taking a bullet.

Back