Let's see if this puppy ad gets flagged...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
My last puppy ad on CL got flagged, and I'm not sure why. It was in Farm and Garden, where livestock sales are acceptable, but despite that I did not list a price.

I'd appreciate your input on why it may have been flagged... I've seen some pretty sad ads with pups "behind bars" in their puppy pens, being fed out of trash can lids, etc. So why flag my ad, with well cared for and socialized pups, when there are others that obviously don't give their pups the same standard of care?

This is my current ad, text and pics changed from the prior listing:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grd/4121510752.html

The original ad had these pictures and text:

IMG_4082.JPG
IMG_3866 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4044 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3985 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG

8 week old well socialized pups available Saturday October 5th. DOB August 10th.

***Please include a brief description of your home environment listing dogs and other animals, children, and the role you will expect the puppy to fill.***

Dam is on premises. Sire is a blue eyed red tri Australian Shepherd out of conformation and performance lines (agility and herding), dam is half Aussie and 1/4 each Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog out of local working ranch dogs.

Six of the eight pups will have short hair similar to the coat of a Queensland Heeler. Two will have the long coat of an Australian Shepherd.

Very intelligent, loyal, and easily trained.

These pups were born in the house and spent the first few weeks indoors. They are currently living outside so they may interact with us and our other animals, and are confined only at night for their safety. They have been treated as part of our family.

Raised with other dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, horses, and children.

We feed Costco's Kirkland brand "Nature's Domain" Turkey and Sweet Potato formula, which is a grain free dog food.

Tails docked, dewclaws removed, wormed twice. No fleas or ticks. Regular nail trims have been given, and they have been bathed once already.

Puppies will be bathed and have nails trimmed prior to going home.

Thank you for looking!

MamaSheepdog":qeii0y4m said:
My last puppy ad on CL got flagged, and I'm not sure why. It was in Farm and Garden, where livestock sales are acceptable, but despite that I did not list a price.

Honestly it will be a crapshoot as to if your new ad will survive. It really depends on who's looking.

I copied this from somewhere else but it's what I've found true as well.
The difference between livestock and a pet is usually obvious. But there are some gray areas. Rabbits, some potbellied pigs, miniature horses, possibly pigeons and so on may be considered livestock or may be considered pets. Working dogs (farm, herding, sled) are generally considered pets, not livestock. It's completely up to the readers. If the readers consider the animal you are selling to be a pet they will likely flag off your ad.

If they flagged it before there's a higher chance that it will be flagged again - flaggers tend to gun for you and wait for you to post the ad again.

There's nothing wrong with your ad, MSD. It's just that there are a bunch of people on CL who are against any sales of companion animals (except "adoptions", of course, for a fee). They think they own the place, and will flag any animal sale ad they find. You could try emphasizing the livestock/working nature of these dogs, since that's what the CL rules allow, but I don't know if those types will care.

SB

My experience in that rabbit ads and dog ads get flagged on CL indiscriminately, some places more than others, but it's better to expect it. I only post my rabbits on ebay in the livestock section. Even though I live in the center of the AR capitol of the country, the ebay ads have not been treated the way ALL CL ads for rabbits [and dogs] are around here. Ive had a standing ad for rabbits on ebay for over a year.
http://bayarea.ebayclassifieds.com/live ... d=12947970
They remind me revery two months to repost it and I do, with some picture changes as my stock changes. You might give it a try.

Dang those are so cute dogs, they are very impressive. My guess is someone against breeders flagged you. Cl may take everything flagged down in some sections or areas. I just don't get AR peoples stance on things. People that are going to buy a pet are going to get what they want. The market will control the breeding. The more good breeders there are out there the less market share shotty breeders will get. My rabbits are all pet rabbits. I know almost nothing about show rabbit, although I do hope to start showing someday. That being sad I think my rabbits are some of the best that are available in my area on CL. My hope is that other breeders like me will drive the breeders that have lower standards out of business. To me that would be a win in the rabbit world. I think what you are doing is a win in the dog world.

Wheels":2to0jmn8 said:
If they flagged it before there's a higher chance that it will be flagged again - flaggers tend to gun for you and wait for you to post the ad again.

So far, so good! It has been a couple of days since the other ad was flagged, but if they bother to look they will know it is the same pups... hopefully I will get enough responses prior to getting flagged again.

SBSF":2to0jmn8 said:
There's nothing wrong with your ad, MSD.

Thanks! :)

SBSF":2to0jmn8 said:
It's just that there are a bunch of people on CL who are against any sales of companion animals (except "adoptions", of course, for a fee).

Yes, I know. But why single mine out when others are clearly selling pups in Pets AND F&G? :?

caroline":2to0jmn8 said:
My experience in that rabbit ads and dog ads get flagged on CL indiscriminately, some places more than others, but it's better to expect it.

My rabbit ads (clearly stating they are for meat) haven't been flagged. I like the ebay option though, especially since it notifies you to renew. :)

ckcs":2to0jmn8 said:
Dang those are so cute dogs, they are very impressive.

Thank you. We think they are beautiful. :)

I just don't get AR peoples stance on things. People that are going to buy a pet are going to get what they want. The market will control the breeding. The more good breeders there are out there the less market share shotty breeders will get.

That's my opinion as well. Let the free market work!

My hope is that other breeders like me will drive the breeders that have lower standards out of business.

I hope so too!

I think what you are doing is a win in the dog world.

Thank you. My goal is to provide people with a good quality puppy that has been well started. Not only for their sake, but most importantly for the puppy. I think that a pup with a good foundation will be much less likely to be "rehomed" since they are well adjusted and so easily trained.

They are a farm breed, so should be fine.
But if you spy on those pet sites, they encroach on farm, too. Even if you follow rules....
Or someone doesn't like you.

MamaSheepdog":z1px1mng said:
dayna":z1px1mng said:
Likely the other puppy sellers flagging your ad.

Well, that's not playing fair! :angry:
Precisely my first thought. If other puppy ads are staying up, somebody doesn't like your competition.

Your ad is perfect. You could emphasize the livestock side of things, but since other puppy ads are staying up, I don't think it's ARA this time.

Locally working dog adds are advertised as livestock help and the word puppy is usually left out of the longer lasting adds.

I think your ad is fine. Hopefully it doesn't get flagged, but I think other people were right who said that it may be other dog breeders flagging you. I wouldn't be surprised.

And your dogs are gorgeous!!

Ditto ontheother breeders, they are obviously jelous and recognize that your puppies would prob be looked at first over theirs, Good luck MSD and keep up thegood work, your puppies and the adults look exceptionaly well cared for :)

ALDO

MSD? One of the reasons I want to get a pup from you even with the distance being so great is that attitude: you want to raise up and start a good dog with the right early experience...and that is something you can't buy after the fact. :) You are filling a MUCH needed gap in the dog world...good quality working dogs who can double as pets, who are raised in the best way possible, on excellent food and are well-exposed to normal stuff on a homestead.

Add in the quality of the dogs themselves, and your dogs are amazing. :)

NO idea why your add got flagged and the others didn't...unless it was other dog breeders who are NOT good breeders worried you are "competition" since your dogs are better, housed better, raised better, and fed better. :roll: They can't beat you in any real way, so they want to sweep ya under a rug so only THEIR sad, sorry little puppies are in the spotlight.

It's so frustrating that it got flagged but maybe it's a compliment in disguise.

Miss M":iqqye3cn said:
If other puppy ads are staying up, somebody doesn't like your competition.

Could be... it did stay up after I reposted it, but I have just bumped it again, so we shall see what happens now.

Sirius is the only pup left, although we have another pup "Houlihan" here who will be picked up Sunday by a family that has one of our first pups named "Hawkeye". :)
DogCatMom":iqqye3cn said:
It's an excellent ad, one of the best I've ever seen on CL.

Thanks, DCMom! That means a lot to me. :)

DonnerSurvivor":iqqye3cn said:
Locally working dog adds are advertised as livestock help and the word puppy is usually left out of the longer lasting adds.

Interesting. That may be a better approach.

SarahMelisse":iqqye3cn said:
And your dogs are gorgeous!!

Thank you!

Flemishstar":iqqye3cn said:
Ditto ontheother breeders, they are obviously jelous and recognize that your puppies would prob be looked at first over theirs, Good luck MSD and keep up thegood work, your puppies and the adults look exceptionaly well cared for :)

ALDO

Thanks, Aldo! I do pride myself on taking the best care of our animals as I possibly can. :)

AmysMacdog":iqqye3cn said:
:yeahthat: What Flemishstar said! Your pups are beautiful MSD! :)

Thank you, Amy! :D

Kyle@theHeathertoft":iqqye3cn said:
MSD? One of the reasons I want to get a pup from you even with the distance being so great is that attitude: you want to raise up and start a good dog with the right early experience...and that is something you can't buy after the fact. :)

I can't wait for the day that one of my dogs goes to Heathertoft! :p

My first dog was from a pet store, shipped in from the Midwest, but despite that, she was the best dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

That said, I think a good early start is the most important aspect of ensuring that a dog has a good future. It is my hope that my pups will be that "once in a lifetime dog" for people. From the feedback that I have gotten from our puppy buyers, I think that my dream of that has come true in quite a few cases already! :p

Kyle@theHeathertoft":iqqye3cn said:
unless it was other dog breeders who are NOT good breeders worried you are "competition" since your dogs are better, housed better, raised better, and fed better. :roll:

There is that! *Smug grin, rapidly swelling head* :cool:

I've never had a rabbit ad flagged but I generally mention their use as a meat rabbit somewhere. Dog ads are down by the next day unless it's a single dog/pup being homed. Breeders selling litters of even working dogs do not survive.

I can't wait for the day that one of my dogs goes to Heathertoft! :p

I've just gotta get the permanent Heathertoft first, LOL!!!! ;)

That said, I think a good early start is the most important aspect of ensuring that a dog has a good future. It is my hope that my pups will be that "once in a lifetime dog" for people. From the feedback that I have gotten from our puppy buyers, I think that my dream of that has come true in quite a few cases already! :p

That's the attitude a good breeder should have...and if they don't, they need to SERIOUSLY question why they are breeding dogs. ;) I mean yes, show lines are bred to make more show dogs, but not every dog is cut out for the show ring and there must be a place for the pet-quality ones, too. They are not inconsequential!

A friend of mine called them the "heart dog," the one dog that is that extra special dog that no other can compare to. :)

Latest posts

Back