Lethargy in nursing does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyralisdawn

Reaction score
I have a doe with 8 kits almost 4 weeks old. She's eating and drinking normally (she gets hay, pellets, fodder, and fresh grass), good appetite, checked ears, teats, mouth, feet, stomach, all look normal, just a couple of soft pellets/stools but mostly normal. Acting noticeably lethargic and tired the past 2 days. Do they ever just get weary from kit-rearing? I've given her some plantain and comfrey today, going to give pineapple tonight. She's not herself, but nothing is obviously wrong with her that I can tell aside from maybe a digestive issue, doesn't appear to be bloat though. Any other suggestions/possibilities?

Does she have a space where she can get away from the kits? We have a bucket hung in each cage or some people put in a shelf. If she is trying to wean them she might just need to be able to get away from them. Do you know if the kits are still nursing? Ours are usually done at 4 or 5 weeks and we move the doe out then. Others say their kits nurse for 6 weeks or more. And is this her first litter? If not, is this lethargy different from what you've observed when her previous litters were this age?

My kids always said that when they asked me a question, the answer was a whole string of questions. :oops:

Rainey":2oap1qc4 said:
Does she have a space where she can get away from the kits? We have a bucket hung in each cage or some people put in a shelf. If she is trying to wean them she might just need to be able to get away from them. Do you know if the kits are still nursing? Ours are usually done at 4 or 5 weeks and we move the doe out then. Others say their kits nurse for 6 weeks or more. And is this her first litter? If not, is this lethargy different from what you've observed when her previous litters were this age?

My kids always said that when they asked me a question, the answer was a whole string of questions. :oops:

I use drop next boxes made of cage wire, so there are two levels in the cage, but the kits are very mobile at this point, so there isn't really anywhere for her to get away from them. It's 24" x 36". They are definitely still nursing. This is not her first litter, but it's her first litter with me as her owner, so I can't speak to her previous behavior as a mother, only her behavior during this pregnancy and up until now (about 2 months).

I just finished saying that lol.....I'd try adding some calcium risk food, dandelions or something. Even though they are older, she may still be calcium taxed.

Latest posts

Back