leg bitten off 5 week old! update; 7 weeks and doing great!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLittleBunny10

Reaction score
I thibk Oreo has broken one of her bones, she is limping, anything I can do to help her. Also she isn't full (with milk) either :(

and she is grinding her teeth now

Sorry I don't know what to suggest to help. If these are pet bunnies and important to you... you could take them the vet. Otherwise you might have to consider culling so she doesn't suffer?

I would separate her from her siblings (so they don't knock it) and put her in a dark quiet place. Maybe an animal carrier on a towel? offer food and water. Maybe a treat like water melon to help keep her hydrated. And look into what forms of pain killer you have available to you and are safe.

ok, well it turns out she was dehydrated, we are keeping her inside for now and feeding her kitten milk replacer. anything else i need?

If you can I would bring her to mom and flip the doe over and see if the kit will latch and get a few good drinks from her. Other then that, just keep a close watch on the kit and keep her warm and comfortable until she's strong enough to keep up with the other kits, or until she is ready to eat solids and drink water.

I hope the kit will be ok. She's a cutie from the pics I did see.

Out of curiosity how does one check to see if a baby rabbit is dehydrated? Just wondering if there is a simple way to tell or not for future reference. I know when I have been dehydrated the tested my blood pressure when I was sitting down and then standing up.

I wasn't there, but she was dehydrated, as when we got home I put her near the bottle and she drank a lot.

oh and I just fed her, she drank 6 ml. it that good?
she is still having trouble hopping around, but is doing much better

__________ Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:38 am __________

she is very wobbly (what made us think broken something) and can't hop, more scooting, uses her head like as another leg, and she can't go more than 3 scoots. Is that from the dehydration?

she had 3 ml. electro-lighted water and 5 ml. KMR

__________ Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 am __________

she also has made a LOT (5 clumps) of tiny (look like cecotropes) pellets, here are some pictures<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 pm __________<br /><br />I moved her into a bigger box with water, hay, a heating pad, and food. She is moving around more now. But seems tired.

Attachments

• oreo2.jpg
    oreo2.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • oreo3.jpg
    oreo3.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,660
If you can find her some willow twigs, the bark will help with the pain. Willow is perfectly safe... I feed it to my rabbits regularly. If she won't eat the willow twigs, you can make a tea with them and give her that.

In the meantime, keep her in a small cage/carrier where she can reach the food and water easily. The less she has to hop around, the better her chances of healing.

ok :)

__________ Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 pm __________

do you have any ideas what she could have?

her hind legs seem really weak, but not dragging, and she cant eat the pellets because they are hard (I put a bit of water on them to soften) do you want me to look for anything?

oh and she is lifting her ears and opening her eyes (which she could not do yesterday because she was weak) anyway, dinnertime!<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm __________<br /><br />for dinner she had 9 ml. of KMR!
and has gained 1 ounce!

ckcs":5xtkj2sf said:
Out of curiosity how does one check to see if a baby rabbit is dehydrated? Just wondering if there is a simple way to tell or not for future reference. I know when I have been dehydrated the tested my blood pressure when I was sitting down and then standing up.
I found this site: http://www.infovets.com/books/smrm/F/F145.htm

I think the capillary refill method might be most useful in rabbits, though the skin tenting method might be helpful as well.

TheLittleBunny10":5xtkj2sf said:
do you have any ideas what she could have?
I'm glad she seems to have improved a little! I don't know if all of her symptoms could be caused by dehydration, but it's possible. I think you're probably just going to have to get her rehydrated, and maybe give her some willow for pain, and watch her. :( Sure wish I could be more helpful.

The skin tent method is the easiest to use to determine dehydration. It is also the least traumatic for a little animal. if i could find my old rehab info-- I could give you the amount of water a rabbit/an animal needs, on a daily basis, based on weight...
I also second the willow tea/branches for pain-- it will also help the kit re-hydrate. The *aspirin* chemical helps the body hold on to water, especially around the brain-- which is where some of the movement issues may be coming from.

ok thanks Terry!

I will try the willow tea/branches,<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm __________<br /><br />well, she is doing binkies, and got a nice meal (from Marshmellow) last night, so she is doing a LOT better!

yeah, but I have to pay 63 dollars from my chicken savings, thats the bad part :(

but I am glad she is better :)

*edited typo*<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm __________<br /><br />well, now Licorice has the "floppy disease" so I gave him some pedialyte, and some water, and hope he gets better just like Oreo :)

That's very odd that you've had 2 cases of dehydration in your kits. Are you using a water dish or water bottle? I know that once my babies are out of the nest, I often see them drinking from the dish, so maybe if you only offer a bottle, you might want to start offering a dish as well :)

Latest posts

Back