Leaky bottles to Leaky rabbit...possible teeth issues??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beach Bunny

Reaction score
So first I thought the leaky water bottle is to blame for Floyd getting all soaked now i don't know.He has lost the fur on his neck and a bit on his chest.I changed the bottle I've dried him up and he still is a mess.He is loosing weight and doesn't seem interested in his pellets.His front teeth are ok so i'm thinking maybe molars? I won't be able to get him to the vet till Thursday .He has been eating apples and pumpkin with a few strands of hay...he's always been persnickety about the hay. As far as behavior goes he has been his normal self hopping around giving kisses nothing out of the ordinary for him I know rabbits can hide pain but he must be really good at it then. Is there anything else I can do for him till Thursday ?? If he does have issues with his molars what should we expect as far as keeping him around?? :cry:

Without hay a lot of rabbits develop overgrown molars. It's quite common but usually not extreme enough to cause major issues. Trimming them can be expensive and needs to be done by a competent vet not a dog/cat vet. It requires at least light sedation and special tools to get to the molars and trim them up. Quite commonly done on pet rabbit and guinea pigs where teeth issues are watched for more and they are fed a wider variety. Pellets aren't too hard to chew up which is part of why molars get overgrown but it also causes the overgrown molars not to cause problems. Pop a pellet in your mouth and it will mostly turn to dust by moisture. Only the ones really heavy in hay and added fancy stuff like fresh herbs will break down in to pieces.

For now until you figure out the problem and if the teeth do need trimmed, it could also be mouth sores from something or digestive disturbance, you can moisten pellets to make eating easier and encourage more rounded diet with fiber instead of fruit. I absolutely would not feed apple. Anything and I mean anything is better than apple. Fruit juice (watch for too many added sugars or being nearly all apple juice) or pureed bananas works great if the rabbit is being very picky. I've also shaken alfalfa leaves in to the mix and turned it all in to a gooey banana or blueberry pile. Greens would be better though. Dandelions, grasses from a fence line that doesn't get mowed so it's older, daylillies are completely edible from flower to bulb if you know what they are (they run wild most of Iowa), plantains, clovers, safe tree branches... Make sure it's all safe though. Nothing from the roadside and if you question whether your neighbors spray it's best to skip it and buy some stemmy herbs like cilantro and parsley in the store instead. If it is a digestive tract problem the greens will help keep things moving with less contribution to the problem than fruit and especially apples by a lot.

Thanks for responding. Floyd is by far the pickiest rabbit i ever dealt with. I know apples are a treat but at the moment it was the only thing he would eat :( He has a never ending supply of hay but he doesn't eat nearly as much as the other rabbits do and mention greens and he's heading for the hills ( but if they are room temperature he will sometimes eat them wen you don't look )

However he has dried up more and i caught him eating pellets again. I'm still giving him pumpkin and i got bananas i could maybe hide some greens in.He is pooping it's a bit softer than usual and he is peeing. All good signs but i still want to get him looked at just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back