Lawn Clippings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReiLossefalme

Reaction score
My house is *surrounded* by grass, bermuda during the summer and I seed rye during the winter, and I just throw heavy bags of clippings away every few weeks when I mow. Is there any reason why these clippings can't be fed to rabbits? Would they be less nutritional or different from rye or bermuda hay? And I'm aware of the potential for mold from decaying green manure sitting in a bag, so is there a preferred way to dry or store this kind of thing?

ReiLossefalme":efxa90hx said:
My house is *surrounded* by grass, bermuda during the summer and I seed rye during the winter, and I just throw heavy bags of clippings away every few weeks when I mow. Is there any reason why these clippings can't be fed to rabbits? Would they be less nutritional or different from rye or bermuda hay? And I'm aware of the potential for mold from decaying green manure sitting in a bag, so is there a preferred way to dry or store this kind of thing?

There is quite a discussion going regarding this on the FB "Backyard Meat Rabbits" group....lots of good info there...

I think if it is NOT fertilized or sprayed with insecticide, you could feed it. Green or let it dry completely. Not sure of the best way, but many of the people in that discussion do it regularly.

If you toss in enough clippings that they can readily consume, it should be fine.
But you must also not spray the yard with any chemicals what so ever, no organic, no nothing.

Once the grass starts to ferment, it can become dangerous. Most commonly to horses, but still possible to other grass grazers.

So if they can eat a 5# pile of freshly chopped, scooped and dumped grass in about 2hrs, that's ok. Mine tend to abandon any grass that becomes dry or when they just get too full. Best to feed them, or better yet, to mow late in the day. That way, they will eat far more of it and at a faster pace. So aim for twilight.

You can also leave the mowed grass for 2 days of full Sun to dry. Then you have home made hay you can use for nests, bedding or feed! =D
Just don't try it if it's going to rain!<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:13 pm __________<br /><br />Also, fluff or 'wash' clippings in a bucket of cold water. This will get any 'mulled' grass off and allow better air circulation.

ChickiesnBunnies":1drz53wz said:
If you toss in enough clippings that they can readily consume, it should be fine.
But you must also not spray the yard with any chemicals what so ever, no organic, no nothing.

Once the grass starts to ferment, it can become dangerous. Most commonly to horses, but still possible to other grass grazers.

So if they can eat a 5# pile of freshly chopped, scooped and dumped grass in about 2hrs, that's ok. Mine tend to abandon any grass that becomes dry or when they just get too full. Best to feed them, or better yet, to mow late in the day. That way, they will eat far more of it and at a faster pace. So aim for twilight.

You can also leave the mowed grass for 2 days of full Sun to dry. Then you have home made hay you can use for nests, bedding or feed! =D
Just don't try it if it's going to rain!

__________ Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:13 pm __________

Also, fluff or 'wash' clippings in a bucket of cold water. This will get any 'mulled' grass off and allow better air circulation.

What is the best way to expose it to sun? Just...put out on boards or something?

And what do you mean "fluff or wash?" The clippings from my dad's lawn are usually pretty short....

"Mulled?"

We have St. Augustine grass here. It's a mediocre forage nutritionally, but as hay it's just fine!

We just let the grass clippings stay right where they landed, and let them dry in the sun for three days. Any thick bunches should be broken up so they get exposed to the sun and air.

My rabbits aren't nuts about St. Augustine hay, but they will eat it.

I hadn't heard about washing it. I would be afraid that would add too much water, and they might be more likely to go bad before drying out.

ReiLossefalme":xntqvmd8 said:
My house is *surrounded* by grass, bermuda during the summer and I seed rye during the winter,
Rye can have a fungus, too. Seems to only be able to attack during the flowering stage, but it then takes over the grain. You can make LSD from it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

Piper":28xm2lrh said:
ReiLossefalme":28xm2lrh said:
My house is *surrounded* by grass, bermuda during the summer and I seed rye during the winter,
Rye can have a fungus, too. Seems to only be able to attack during the flowering stage, but it then takes over the grain. You can make LSD from it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

Yup...remember reading about the Salem witch trials? Most of that brou-ha-ha was caused by widespread ergot poising from moldy grain.

Mulm*
Just bits that end up being cut too much and just turn into mush. You don't want a grass smoothy, you want actual blades of grass.

I just mow and leave it where it blows out. If some turn into clumps, I'll flip them on the 2nd morning to let the Sun dry the underside. You can rake it all up fresh and move it onto a board to dry. Just try to sprinkle it out evenly and avoid thick clumps of it.

We let the grass grow a bit taller than normal... then left it where it was for 2 days, and had buckets of dried weeds. We didn't get big clumps. Our yard is made of all weeds and weedy grass, so it's all good as long as it doesn't get moldy.

Latest posts

Back