Late kindling questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekaelliott

Reaction score
I have two does who share an enclosure. They are sisters from the same litter and are about a year old. I bred them both on the same day to different bucks. These will be their first litters. One of the does kindled on Tuesday morning (day 30 1/2). She had five kits and has been taking good care of them. I was starting to think that the other didn't take to the pregnancy (she looked huge but hadn't started to nest or anything). Then, last night (Thursday night day; day 33) she started to nest. This morning she had pulled an incredible amount of hair, I mean, I have never seen a doe pull this much hair, and she has it in a nestbox but she still hadn't had any kits. I had to leave for work and will be able to go check on her at lunch. Any ideas of what might be going on? I have never had a doe kindle past day 32 before.

Hopefully the kits will be fine. I've read of late kindling, on here, several times. The kits might be larger and fewer. If she pulled that much fur the kindling should be imminent. She is probably waiting to have them until she's all alone, but they USUALLY kindle in the wee hours of the morning.

ekaelliott":2hfn255y said:
Any ideas of what might be going on? I have never had a doe kindle past day 32 before.

The gestation period is anywhere from 28 to 35 days with 31 being the average...Some have gone as long as 40 days with varying results. I would guess that you will be seeing kits today, Just my opinion.
You may want to give her a fruit flavor Tums, the calcium helps with contractions..some swear by parsley also.

Thank you! I will try the tums when I go home. My husband was just home and said that she is still just hanging out in the next box. I'm worried that she has stuck kit. I'll be going home too and see if there is anything I can do. <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:19 pm -- <br /><br /> Well, she had the babies when I got home at lunch. Several looked like they had been big enough to deliver but had been dead in utero for a day or so, several looked like they weren't fully developed in the first place. One was alive!!! I took the live one and placed it in the nest of the other doe who kindled on Tuesday. It was about the same size as them and I am hoping that the other doe fosters it in. I know it would have a hard time surviving alone in the nest. I thought about splitting the babies into the two nests, three and three, but didn't want to take the risk. I wish they had shared a nest like I have had does do in the past, they both end up feeding the kits and you end up with very big healthy kits. I think the doe pulled so much hair because she was stressed about the delivery not being quite right. She checked where her nest had been after I took the kit out, felt kind of bad for her but I would rather the kit survive. Overall, I'm relieved that it is over. This was her first litter and I know the first can be rough so it's good to have it out of the way. I'm also relieved that she had conceived because I was starting to question that particular buck because the last doe I bred him to had a false pregnancy. So again, overall, relieved, he is fertile, she is fertile, she has the first litter over and as long as the new kit is still in the nest with the other kits when I get home from work then we will have some baby rabbits again (finally!; it's been a difficult winter...).

Thank you for you advice with the tums, I wish I had known this morning before I left for work!

If you want to you can breed her back right away...she will be more receptive and you should get a nice size litter from her. I believe it is better for them mentally as well...Just my opinion, but I have seen does seem confused when the hormones are all over the chart.You can give her a few sprigs of mint to dry up any milk that comes in as well. Best wishes for the litter, I don't believe there will be a problem with the fostering. :)

Latest posts

Back