Late August litter?

Help Support RabbitTalk:

ButtonsPalace

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina
So, I've been debating when I want to start breeding for fall, I kinda wanna start as early as possible with how cool it's been lately... I decided to hit up the Farmer's Almanac and see what it said, according to it, we'll be having cool, sunny, scattered T-storms kinda weather when the does would be kindling if bred today/tomorrow "Aug 26-31: T-storms, then sunny, cool." Could just wait until towards the end of the first week of August and breed then, as that'd give me litters starting right at the beginning of September, the almanac says "September and October will be cooler than normal, with near-normal rainfall." which almost makes me feel like I'd be better off to wait a week or two into August and start breeding then.
 

Ramjet

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I'm going to bring a buck in out of the heat middle of next month because last year I didn't get my first litter until after the new year , it was just too hot for too long.

It'll take about a month for him to recover from heat sterility so middle of September is when I plan to start breeding , assuming we aren't still dealing with triple digit heat like last year.
 

ButtonsPalace

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina
I don't believe it's been over 90 outside here, most times 70-80 in their room, I need to look up at what temps heat sterility happens..
 

Ramjet

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 27, 2013
Messages
1,073
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
ButtonsPalace":3en27d1t said:
I don't believe it's been over 90 outside here, most times 70-80 in their room, I need to look up at what temps heat sterility happens..


Sustained temps over 85 can cause it ...

I had an accidental litter in late June of 6 kits , 5 of them didn't make it past the first day , they basically melted. The other was brought out to momma only at night for the first three weeks.

Does struggle enough with delivery , add in the heat and you really increase the risks.


Heat and rabbits just don't go together.
 

ButtonsPalace

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
1
Location
North Carolina
Sure don't I'm planning my first breeding to be 8/7/17 which is a full moon, so big litter, many male kits (less tempting to keep them this way) after that next doe will probably be 8/21 as I like about 2 weeks between litters. But this also all depends on the weather, and what the Almanac says and based on how to doe is feeling too, cause if she don't lift, what am I to do lol
 
Top