Large gall bladder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike17l

Reaction score
I butchered some 11 week olds today. As well as what had been intended as a breeder doe, however her litter mates are on their second litter and outweighed her by a couple pounds. She had very little meat on her compared to 'normal' and her gall bladder was 5x the size of the 11 week olds. She was not more than 6 months. She ate normal, unless I gave greens, which she would devour. I keep manna pro in front of them and supplement with various greens. Any ideas?

The amount of fluid in the gall bladder varies according to where the rabbit is in the process of digesting its feed.

When there is a lot of fluid, it also appears darker, but I suspect that if you were to drain it onto a surface it would actually be the same hue.

If she wasn't "skinny", the amount of meat on her could be due to her body type.

A lot of people that keep rabbits for meat use fast growth or greatest weight when deciding which rabbits to keep as breeders. I made the same mistake myself when first starting out, as a matter of fact.

But what you should actually select for is body type. The standards for meat rabbit breeds are written not with the goal of having a pretty live rabbit, but so that the butchered animal will be a prime piece of meat.

You want to see good depth, a deep loin, nice wide shoulders, and well rounded hindquarters.

She was beyond skinny and was from great meat lines (lukefahr specials), not sure what the deal was, but that's why she's dog food now.

mike17l":32jgv51e said:
She was beyond skinny and was from great meat lines (lukefahr specials), not sure what the deal was, but that's why she's dog food now.

Next time you have a problem like this, post pictures of the internal organs so we can see if something looks "off".

Latest posts

Back