Large droppings...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So one of my Silver Fox does that has a litter that is almost two weeks old now, has been passing very large bunny berries that don't fall through the 1/2 x 1 inch bottom cage wire. I noticed a small amount before she had her litter and I thought that maybe it was just some of her cecotropes that she couldn't reach, but it has continued and it is now just large normal droppings, not the grape clump looking cecotropes. When I look under her cage the few that do fall through are normal looking just very large. She is on a diet of grass hay, 18% protein pellets, and seems to be drinking a normal amount of water. Has anyone else had this happen? Is she just a large rabbit with large droppings? My other Silver Fox doe has not been having this issue but she hasn't had a litter yet either.

I nearly always have the same issue with my does that are carrying or still nursing. Not sure why, I just brush the droppings out of the cage and get on with the rest of chores. I just figure there's more going in to care for the litter and thus more coming out.

Yes other members have seen this happen, myself included. We haven't yet been able to figure out the cause.

I have had it happen with almost all of my litters. I don't worry about it any more as long as nothing else changes.

I've only had that happen with one rabbit , a jr doe .... She ended up dying on me a couple months later with the issue persisting. There were times that she would have poo on her backside & I'd have to clean her up.

She appeared healthy otherwise. I didn't open her up post mortem.

Ramjet":17j09lik said:
I've only had that happen with one rabbit , a jr doe .... She ended up dying on me a couple months later with the issue persisting. There were times that she would have poo on her backside & I'd have to clean her up.

She appeared healthy otherwise. I didn't open her up post mortem.
OH... Well, I hope this doe ends up ok. I have never noticed it stuck to her just the bottom of the cage :|

Ramjet":2qb1kpx3 said:
I've only had that happen with one rabbit , a jr doe .... She ended up dying on me a couple months later with the issue persisting.

Hmm. I've never seen it in a rabbit that isn't pregnant or nursing. Now you've gone and gotten me frustrated- we need to determine what makes the droppings larger!

Were the stuck ones moist? I've never seen them stuck to the rabbits, either.

MamaSheepdog":39tstkxz said:
Ramjet":39tstkxz said:
I've only had that happen with one rabbit , a jr doe .... She ended up dying on me a couple months later with the issue persisting.

Hmm. I've never seen it in a rabbit that isn't pregnant or nursing. Now you've gone and gotten me frustrated- we need to determine what makes the droppings larger!

Were the stuck ones moist? I've never seen them stuck to the rabbits, either.

The droppings that would stay in the cage were not moist just oversized , probably 2-3x normal.

What was on her behind was a bit moist but not runny .... I got this one from OAF (so you know it was well cared for). It couldn't be a diet change as we both feed Lone Star tho I did try putting her on a diet of hay for a while to see if it would regulate her , that didn't work.
She was very young when I brought her home & may not have developed her digestive system properly (bacteria) & the stress of moving to a new environment was enough to cause problems.

This was constant over a period of several months. I got her in late Feb. & she passed in mid June.

I probably should have cut her open to see what the problem was but at that time I had a whole lot going on that I couldn't control and just didn't have it in me to deal with it. Glad the last 3 months are behind me & life is back to normal.

ek.blair":tvdkaxxz said:
So one of my Silver Fox does that has a litter that is almost two weeks old now, has been passing very large bunny berries that don't fall through the 1/2 x 1 inch bottom cage wire. I noticed a small amount before she had her litter and I thought that maybe it was just some of her cecotropes that she couldn't reach, but it has continued and it is now just large normal droppings, not the grape clump looking cecotropes. When I look under her cage the few that do fall through are normal looking just very large. She is on a diet of grass hay, 18% protein pellets, and seems to be drinking a normal amount of water. Has anyone else had this happen? Is she just a large rabbit with large droppings? My other Silver Fox doe has not been having this issue but she hasn't had a litter yet either.

Take her out immediately for walks and if possible a run. Daily walks will make her droppings normal. If the grape clump looking droppings happen, daily walks and fresh air and freedom and good balanced diet and a lot of love and cuddling is necessary. Because yours just had a litter maybe a run is not ok right now but later on, but walks are a must and take care that she doesn't get too tired. You can find a four way strap leash in stores that also goes around the body to secure the bunny nicely. Take the bunny out for a walk on a leash but protect her from dogs, cats and some birds and other animals.

So, large poops?

Might be TMI, but when I eat a lot, I poop more too.

I believe it is an in-out type issue. more going in, more coming out. Nothing more, nothing less. **please note that this applies ONLY to pregnant/nursing does**

As for the Jr doe who had this issue without being pregnant or nursing, and subsequently died... What colour was she? She wasn't, by chance, from a broken x broken breeding? Genetic charlies(EnEn, 2 copies of broken) are often affected by a condition that I believe is called megacolon - this is why many people have issues with charlies not thriving, or dying early on. It is characterized by oversized poops. I am unsure if it affects other rabbits, or is a result of the 2 copies of the broken gene, but it could be a possibility.

Bad Habit":1zegk9z9 said:
So, large poops?

Might be TMI, but when I eat a lot, I poop more too.

I believe it is an in-out type issue. more going in, more coming out. Nothing more, nothing less. **please note that this applies ONLY to pregnant/nursing does**

As for the Jr doe who had this issue without being pregnant or nursing, and subsequently died... What colour was she? She wasn't, by chance, from a broken x broken breeding? Genetic charlies(EnEn, 2 copies of broken) are often affected by a condition that I believe is called megacolon - this is why many people have issues with charlies not thriving, or dying early on. It is characterized by oversized poops. I am unsure if it affects other rabbits, or is a result of the 2 copies of the broken gene, but it could be a possibility.

Yes , the Jr doe was a broken x broken pairing .... Never heard that before. :popcorn:

There are hormones released by a doe near to kindling to get her body ready to stretch out for birth - these hormones can also effect the intestinal muscles that constrict waste into rabbit poop pellets, hence they tend to be larger around this time.

In some does the muscles take longer , or never do, bounce back to their original size before giving birth so they continue to have larger poops.

I am actually breeding for smaller does as cleaning out these "poop pancakes" is a PITA

Unicorn":3fe3ndwv said:
If the grape clump looking droppings happen, daily walks and fresh air and freedom and good balanced diet and a lot of love and cuddling is necessary.
these "grape clump" droppings are perfectly normal for rabbits and do not require treatment. If a rabbit does not produce these then you should be VERY worried.

I meant to say loose poop and one that develops into a clump that sticks to the rabbits' bottom.

ek.blair":1s4j8co7 said:
OH... Well, I hope this doe ends up ok. I have never noticed it stuck to her just the bottom of the cage :|
She'll be fine. Sometimes it lasts a few weeks. The last litter of French Lops the doe was firing canon balls till the litter was 4 weeks old. Then just as fast as it started she was back to normal.

Homer":84zxth3w said:
The last litter of French Lops the doe was firing canon balls till the litter was 4 weeks old.

BA-HA-HA!!! :coffee-screen:

Ramjet":84zxth3w said:
Bad Habit":84zxth3w said:
As for the Jr doe who had this issue without being pregnant or nursing, and subsequently died... What colour was she? She wasn't, by chance, from a broken x broken breeding?

Yes , the Jr doe was a broken x broken pairing .... Never heard that before. :popcorn:

Excellent detective work, Bad Habit! :detective:

Ten points to you!

:judges:

To be honest, I'm surprised I'm the only person who thought of it... Mind you, the majority of my rabbit related interactions lately has been on FB groups, and oh my gosh are the people there super rude and quick to jump to conclusions. I did learn a lot, but there was a lot of talk that I did not approve of, and a ton of name calling, insults and rudeness.

Latest posts

Back