Lambs!!! UPDATE: Twins on Page 2!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Homestead

Reaction score
We have out first lamb! It's a boy! :) I'll just keep this thread handy and post the rest of the pics here as the lambs come along!

I was so surprised when I found it this morning! I was not expecting anything until the end of this month!

I went out to take care of the rabbits and saw it in the sheep shed. It was laying next to our ram, Samuel. I was worried beacuse none of the ewes on that side (the sheep are in two different sections) were paying any attention to him. Top it off he is all white and none of our sheep are all white! I figured it was Abbie's since she was the only first time mom on that side. Well, when Mom got out there she noticed something that I had not. Liberty on the other side was going up and down the fence baaing like mad! Some detective I would make! :roll:
Dad got over there and sure enough found signs of the birth. Mama and baby were reunited and all is well! :D Still don't know where the white came from! Mama is all brown and dad was all black! Dad was our meat sheep (Daniel) that we just recently butchered.

Samuel was such a sweetheart. While we were trying to figure out who mama was he stuck by the little guy the whole time. I went to pick the lamb up and Samuel never moved. He never lets me get that close! He kept that little guy nice and warm while mama could not get to him.

Here are some pictures to back up my story!
SAM_1164.JPG

Here is Samuel watching over his charge still. That is Liberty behind him.
SAM_1165.JPG
SAM_1166.JPG
And you can see that we don't have white in the flock. :lol: Now we do!
SAM_1169.JPG

We checked the rest of the ewes and it looks like there are three more that are going to lamb soon! :p

Aww, our first was a boy, too! But we might not have any more this year...
He's cute, I like how he's blaring white and everyone else is black, brown and gray.

How adorable! You have a rainbow of sheep colors now!

What a good ram Samuel is. That is really amazing that he has those protective instincts for "his" lambs. :)

I think I need to go make some lamb toys now...

Yoo-hoo! Little lamby-kin! Look what MamaSheepdog has for you-oo!!! :twisted:

With many breeds, the lambs are born dark, and actually lighten up as they get older-- so, those dark sheep may be carrying white genetics...

Thanks everyone!

Well, all of our older sheep are Shetlands. But last year we got a Dorper/Katahdin cross ram. We put him in with some of our ewes so we would have a slightly more meaty sheep (since Shetlands are a wool breed and not meat). Most of the ewes were picked to go in with Daniel because they were too closely realated to Samuel. Liberty was one of the ewes, so this little guy is 1/2 Shetland, 1/4 Dorper, and 1/4 Katahdin.

MamaSheepdog":pkl30uf1 said:

MSD, don't even start! :eek: Those are my Mama's sheep! You don't want to mess with her! :2guns:
Tell me when it is over! :notsafe: :lol:
I always wanted to use that smilie!

Shetlands did cross my mind. They come out in so many colours they have their own language for it! Well he's a lovely little mixed up thing :D

Heritage Homestead":bo6ysgvk said:
Thanks everyone!

Well, all of our older sheep are Shetlands. But last year we got a Dorper/Katahdin cross ram. We put him in with some of our ewes so we would have a slightly more meaty sheep (since Shetlands are a wool breed and not meat).

That's why I asked. Wanna sell me some wool?

I got to pet some lambs today!!! Even got to help bottle feed one!!!! (the things that amuse a city kid, lol)

They weren't as cute as that little guy though!!

UK-backyardbunnies":3vdtn439 said:
Shetlands did cross my mind. They come out in so many colours they have their own language for it!
Tell me about it! I don't even pretend to know all the names! "What color is she? :shock: Ummm... She's gray and darker gray" :lol: Still have some learning to do!

skysthelimit":3vdtn439 said:
Wanna sell me some wool?
I'll check with Mom. I know my Mom wants to use some of the wool, but I am pretty sure we won't use all of it. We have to have them sheared here real soon, so once that is done I can PM you if you really want some and let you know what colors and stuff we have available.

Bad Habit":3vdtn439 said:
Even got to help bottle feed one!!!! (the things that amuse a city kid, lol)
Heah! I'm not a city girl and that would tickle me pink! We have not had one yet that we have had to bottle feed. Our mamas do too good of a job. :( Umm.. I mean that is a good thing! :oops: :lol:

Bad Habit":3vdtn439 said:
They weren't as cute as that little guy though!!
Course not! It was not a Heritage Homestead lamb! *insert smug smile* :lol:

The poor little lambie I got to bottle feed lost her momma all together :( I was sad for it, but it was sooooooo bloody friendly, came right up and started nudging at me. Of course, it was anxious to get some bottle into it, lol.

yes, please PM when you are ready. I am fiber hungry!!!! This wheel has turned me into a monster. I eye all fur/wool bearing animals with interest.

i was going to guess shetland. i have some nice shetland wool now i'm spinning up.

skysthelimit":2t30pbb2 said:
yes, please PM when you are ready. I am fiber hungry!!!! This wheel has turned me into a monster. I eye all fur/wool bearing animals with interest.

i'd love to hear too. if you guys had much to sell. i really love the brown/red :mrgreen:

mind if i ask what part of ohio you are in? i'm saving up for sheep :mrgreen: :popcorn:

Sure, I'll let you both know what we have.

We are in Walhonding. Zip is 43843.

Well, still waiting for Hannah, Abigail, and Wee Broon to lamb. Should be any day now. Panda, Tearza, and Jubilee haven't shown any signs yet. We are thinking they might not be bred. :( That means no lambs from Samuel. If they are bred there won't be any lambs from them until May. Panda looks bred, but that might be because she escaped one night and got in with Daniel, so he might have done the job.
Anyway, both Hannah and Wee Broon should have twins and Abbie will have one, so that makes six lambs at least! Whoo! :p
We'll just have to wait and see. :popcorn:

I hate waiting! :shock:

Heritage Homestead":1540tyxf said:
MamaSheepdog":1540tyxf said:

MSD, don't even start! :eek: Those are my Mama's sheep! You don't want to mess with her! :2guns:

But...

but...

I want a Heritage Homestead lamb! :(

*sigh*

Fine, you can keep the white one, since he is your first one... I'll take a colored one instead, especially if it is a "broken"! :p

Make sure to post pics of my lamb when it is born! :camera:

Latest posts

Back