Labels and shrink bags

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's neat, Sharon, thanks for posting the link. I use a Food Savor, and vacuum seal the rabbit. I have problem with the leg tips poking through though, so I don't seal it too tight. I mark the bags with a sharpie, and mark name and address, phone, package contents, weight of product, and it has to be marked "NOT INSPECTED" if you are not USDA inspected. These are the guidelines for WI anyway, you'll have to check with your local extension office for exact rules for your area.

Has anyone used these bags for bagging rabbits? We're trying it for the first time tonight and not really pleased with the results yet. Looking for any tips.

It seems like someone posted how they packaged 2 rabbits in a chicken shrink wrap bag a while back. I was trying to find it again a couple of weeks ago, but never did find it again. :(

There appear to be several pages of tips on different ways of accomplishing things. One testimonial in the sidebar says he used it for rabbits. Maybe you could contact the webmaster, who could put you in touch with the writer of that testimonial?

I may try this, as I'm not interested in the expensive FoodSaver and expensive bags to keep feeding it. I'll try my Pump-n-Seal first, though, which is supposed to vacuum-pack in freezer Ziplocs.

So Miss M how did it go with the Pump n seal? I've seen a lot of people partially cooking their buns when they use the boil a bag method. I was wondering if the pump n seal may be a good choice. I'm starting out REALLY small so I can't imagine putting out for the vacuum sealer till I have a proper freezer.

I use a food saver too but I joint the rabbits up and only package front legs, back legs and saddle for my customers. And I cut and pop the joints so no sharp bits of bones.

If you work the cost of bags into the price of the meat it isn't too bad, price wise.

Right now I only put the weight on the bags but will graduate to proper labels soon. Dry labels stick best to dry bags so if you bag, weigh, label and THEN seal, the label will stay on, if you go with labels, that is.

Looks to be a very nice way to market your rabbits.
IF, you do a large number every time.

The set-up requirement is what would halt me. I only do 6-10 when I process.
Looks to be a lot of work, "before" you get to the packaging of the product.

In Missouri, I'm allowed to process and sell 2000 fryers per year
to end consumers.....without inspection required.
I do have to keep a list of customers and phone numbers that bought rabbits.

I processed 6 yesterday evening w/the heaviest weighing 4pounds 4ounces.
Two weighed 3pound 14ounces. Those are very young, very tender fryers.
Which is what "I" feel most people wish to purchase for fried rabbit.
If they specifically ask for a larger product, I can oblige them.
The lightest 'finished' weight was 2pounds 2ounces.
The heaviest 'finished' weight was 2pounds 6ounces.

This size of processed rabbit fits neatly and snugly into a quart-size
Zip-lock freezer bag. I then wrap the rabbit in freezer paper and place
a custom-made 2"X3" adhesive sticker on the paper. My wife prints sheets
of these off of a computer program.

Each sticker has the rabbitry name, address, and phone number on it.
Along with the weight of the rabbit and the price. I've got a freezer
down in the workshop where I keep them until sold.

grumpy.

In order to avoid having the bones poking holes in the bags, fold the hind legs into the chest cavity, then the front legs will lay flat against the bottom of the bag. This will give you a neater package as well as no leaks.

This is the way my rabbits came back when I sent the one batch to the butcher.

3mina":yflva4ux said:
In order to avoid having the bones poking holes in the bags, fold the hind legs into the chest cavity, then the front legs will lay flat against the bottom of the bag. This will give you a neater package as well as no leaks.

Cut the joint right in the middle with pruning shears.
You'll eliminate those sharp leg bones. Less chance for
a young person to poke themselves as well.

grumpy.

I invested in the FoodSaver GameSaver Deluxe Vacuum Sealing Kit for $120 and it does the trick reliably. I buy freezer rolls on ebay for about $20 for a 50foot roll which will last me for a few dozen rabbits or chickens. You cut pieces from that roll to the size you need.

The thing works fast, handles moisture well and gets a good vacuum seal almost every time. Occasionally I see a bag in the freezer that wasn't sealed correctly and I just use it first to avoid freezer burn on the meat. I bag and vacuum seal a rabbit within a minute. Minimal set up time and easy cleaning.

Before that I used a smaller hand vacuum sealer, but it just didn't prove to be practical for the amount of bags I go through. Plus buying individual bags is very expensive.

AAAAAAAAARGH WHY didn't I THINK of ordering my bags online??? 21 rabbits are waiting on my buying bags this week!

Shall order them online from now on though, THANKS! :D

grumpy":bmanog8i said:
3mina":bmanog8i said:

Cut the joint right in the middle with pruning shears.

I break the joints by hand. The front feet are super easy. Prior to skinning, I slice the skin at the joint, and then simply twist the front feet and pull. Sometimes I have to cut the tendon, but usually they come right off.

The back feet are a little harder, but still pretty simple. Once the rabbit is skinned, I take it down and then bend the feet toward the center of the body. The joint will snap easily, then you simply cut the tendon and you're done.

Until you get the hang of it, you may break the bone instead of the joint. That still happens occasionally with me, but 99% of the time I don't need to worry about sharp bones piercing the bags.

I'm beginning to think I should take all the extra food savers around my house and available at local thrift stores, test them, and then sell them to RT members for $20, lol.

Teafaery":iu3pgzfk said:
So Miss M how did it go with the Pump n seal? I've seen a lot of people partially cooking their buns when they use the boil a bag method. I was wondering if the pump n seal may be a good choice. I'm starting out REALLY small so I can't imagine putting out for the vacuum sealer till I have a proper freezer.
I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, as our herd buck got wry neck shortly after my post above, and I hadn't bothered to try with the few butchers we had after that.

New buck now, new growouts! :p I'll be trying soon.

Bad Habit":iu3pgzfk said:
I'm beginning to think I should take all the extra food savers around my house and available at local thrift stores, test them, and then sell them to RT members for $20, lol.
Yeah, I've thought about buying a thrift store FoodSaver... I'd feel a lot better about the price! :D

Latest posts

Back