Knife recommendation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOrabeets

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I have limited rabbit dressing skills (new to meat rabbits), but have dressed out many animals and use knives daily at work and home. While reading one of the dispatch threads I noticed a couple of posts displaying knife envy. Try a Rada Cutlery knife and sharpener. They are aluminum handle, good blade, sharpen great, made in USA and amazingly inexpensive. The stubby butchers knife (my favorite meat knife) and Rada sharpener (made for their knives) will set you back exactly $14.02 on Amazon right now. I own Henckels, Cutco and Victorinox knives...and like all three of these brands, but Rada is by far the best bang for you buck IMO. I'm not associated with Rada in any way, just a huge fan.

I'm looking to find one that doesn't cut into the bone so easily as this seams to dull them faster.

I have three knives that i love, that each have a function whenever I'm butchering anything.
I have a Buck Strider which is my everyday working knife, used for initial gut and skin operations. Holds a razor edge like a champ, strong enough to split pelvis bones on hogs, and perfect finesse to break down Amy critter into quarters.
My trimming knife is my F Dick boning knife. I ground a 25 degree edge on it, which is a little steeper than commonly used, but which lends itself very ideal for separating out the cuts and cutting steaks.
My third knife is a Wusthof paring knife i use forffine and other detail work, especially on smaller critters like rabbit, chicken, dove, and quail.
I use a tri stone with a hard Arkansas finishing stone, and a separate ceramic stone for sharpening, and i have a good sharpening steel for touching up the edge while working.
Finding good knives can be a trick, but i find that high carbon steel blades are among the best I've ever used.
Learning how to properly care for them is also very important.
Consistent edge angle, avoiding beveling the cutting edge faces, and keeping a true straight cutting edge are the crucial aspects.
That's how i keep my knives razor sharp, and they float through most things like a hot knife through warm butter.
If you suck at knife sharpening, Lansky makes a heat sharpening system that's about idiot proof, as it clamps to the back of the blade, and holds the stone at a constant angle to the edge.
Using your steel often is also important while working.
A sharp blade is less tiring, makes a cleaner cut faster, and helps make short work of the cutting tasks at hand.

I, too, am a big fan of Rada! For home kitchen knife work, the sharpener all by itself is absolutely unparalleled, on Rada and other brand knives (Rada knives are awesome, by the way). And all it is is two steel disks.

I used to have another sharpener which ground the edge way too acute. It was frightfully sharp, but it dulled extremely quickly, and the edge even chipped easily it was so thin. That sharpener removed a lot of metal!

The Rada sharpener produces an edge that is very sharp, yet also strong. It does not remove a lot of metal in its grinding. The edge lasts pretty well, too, before needing resharpening.

I bought a nice big old kitchen knife at a thrift store, and my Rada sharpener put an absolutely delicious edge on the thing! I proceeded to cube an entire roast, and the last cut was just as easy as the first.

Skinning older rabbits is one activity that is hard on a knife. We used our Rada knives, sharpened with the Rada sharpener, our first time. Those bunnies were 22 weeks old when we were finally able to butcher, and the knives had a relatively difficult time getting through the pelt. By the end of the day, it felt like pulling the skin off with our teeth might be faster. So they do have their limits.

After that, we went and bought Outdoor Edge Fish & Bone knives at Bass Pro, for $20 each. They made easy work of skinning, and our rabbits tend to be butchered at 14 - 16 weeks, rather than 8 - 12, so the skin is thicker and stuck.

They did two years of processing rabbits without a single sharpening.

Recently, we processed a litter, and realized that it wasn't as easy to get through the pelts as it used to be. So I took the knives to Bass Pro, where they sharpen knives they sell free for the life of the knife. The man felt it and said, "These feel pretty sharp." I replied, "They aren't as sharp as they used to be; I can tell the difference." So he sharpened them. And I bought a third one (they've gone up to $25), so that my husband could have one to gut and clean with, and my daughter and I could each have one to skin with. :)

I never use them for regular kitchen work, only for processing. While I can use my Radas for processing, it is easier and faster for me with the Outdoor Edge fish & bone knives. :)

I've worn out my rada knife and they haven't been back at the fair I bought it at.

Really most any knife will work as long as it is SHARP! great if the knife is of high quality to keep a good edge, but even a less expensive knife that is sharpened while being used will work. when I'm processing I don't want 5 different knives for each purpose. I have a neck knife (dollar store special) and a knife for skinning and gutting. A cheap knife will usually last me a few years. $6. But I do a lot of rabbits each week.

I saw a vid. on you tube,the guy used a pair of sissors.
did a real nice job.
he said he did not like using a knife.

Rada knives are awesome and the sharpener is a must have. The sharpener won't work on some of the harder steels, (Buck). Personally, I like a knife that is easy to bring back to razor sharp, rather than a hard to sharpen knife that stays somewhat sharp for a long time. I have a buck that, once you get it sharp, will work for a long time, but in the time it takes to get an edge on it, I could have sharpened a whole drawer full of other knives.

I love the RADA knives...I love the flexibility of the blade when skinning. Didn't know they had a sharpener. I'll need to go find one.

Quality steel,
KNOWING (and it's a skill) HOW to sharpen a knife, to quote a former meat cutter I know, dull knives are too much work and dangerous to boot.

What angle do you all sharpen your butcher knives at. I was doing 20 degrees but that seemed to get dull too fast so I went to 30 but if there is better I'd like to hear about it.

The lower the angle, the sharper your blade
30 is pretty much 'utility'
and yeah, the sharper the knife, the faster it gets dull, that's why you learn to use a steel or a carbide 'sharpener' to tune the edge, it won't be as good as fresh edge, but gets it back in just a few swipes.

GOOD metal is where it pays off, holds a edge MUCH better.

I use the Lanske sharpener that has the Arkansas stone sharpener (think that's what it's called, I know it was named after a state,) with it to hone the blade but my biggest problem is probably the quality of the metal I'm using. I think I'm going to go with 30 and see how it goes next time around.

I just purchased a Smith's 6" Medium Arkansas Stone Knife Sharpener. I have several good pocket knives and plan to just sharpen them. Since I'm just starting out I don't want to make too big of an investment just yet. If I enjoy rabbit raising and butchering, which I think I will, I'll make the investment.
My question is: What should I use on the stone? The store said water or oil. Oil being preferred. So which is better? And if oil is better, what type? Can olive oil be used? :? I keep a gal of olive oil around the house for home use. Seems like over kill I know but it has soooom many uses, from bathroom to kitchen.

I'm a silly person and use scaples and razors. I also have a Forever Sharp knife that I use.

to me the sharper the knife the better...

Back