Kits want a drink of water

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craneman54

Reaction score
Some of my 3 week old kits are trying to drink from the water nipples I have on my cages. I put a waterier like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-12pcs-W...409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485f11b969 . I didn't see if any of them tried using it as they all went back in the nesting box while I was putting the waterier on the side of the cage. I put it about 2" off the floor. Will they learn to use this? If not what type should I get for them?

Those are quite obvious to use but even with more complicated setups, like lever valves, they just copy the adults. If you sell any rabbits you should tell people they did not have a normal water bottle with a valve. Care will have to be taken to make sure they are getting enough water and learning how to use a different type of water system.

Yep, they'll get the hang of it. :)

Akane's got a good point... you'll want to tell anyone who buys from you that they are used to something similar to a crock. If they want to switch them to valves, they'll probably need to put a crock in there with the valve at first.

Thanks,I had not thought of letting people know about the water fixtures. The ones with the bottle are cheap. I can give them one with the sale of any rabbit. I can show them the nipples I use if they want to go that route.

Man these little guys grow fast. They have been sharing some of Moms food already and have learned when I come to the door it means food. :lol:

Thanks for the advice. :)

Most people have their own water system they prefer. It became an issue sometimes when I sold rabbits I raised in colony with poultry water fountains or dog bowls. Some of mine never saw a water bottle.

I bought the water bottle waterier as a back-up in case my auto system freezes in the winter,So I thought I would use them for the kits till they learn to use the nipples. There is very little room in my 24" X 24" cages with a doe,6 kits and a nest box turned on it's side, so I didn't want to put anything else that takes up room. I plan on making larger cages this week to give them more room.

akane":1mn0o0rs said:
If you sell any rabbits you should tell people they did not have a normal water bottle with a valve. Care will have to be taken to make sure they are getting enough water and learning how to use a different type of water system.

This is VERY important!!!

My kits are born and raised in the BunnyBarn, which has an automatic system with valves. When they move to the growout area, they are on crocks, which they figure out immediately. Problems arise when a "keeper" moves into the BunnyBarn again because they seem to forget all about the valves.

Back