Kits turned cannibalistic

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny.

A bit more then 1 month ago three of my parents' does kindeled and all the bebies were doing great. Up until this evening. We did the feeding, and as one of my does is about to kindle this night or tomorrow, I went to check on the rabbits. I noticed one of the kits from our Cali doe, Rubi, was bloody all around it's nose/mouth. I was like, what the hell? After checking on all of them (6), I concluded most had bloody mouths. So, all out of nowhere, I flipped their mum over and was shocked. Few of her teats are really bloody and nipped. We are about to wean the babies by taking the mum out (I guess it's more safe to leave them in the environment they are used to since we usually wean with 6-8 weeks). Is there anything we can do to easy the situation for either mum or kits? Can we treat her wounds with anything? Do these things happpen? Thanks in advance.

-Marko

PICS TOMORROW.

:shock:

wow, that's a new one for me too. it could be that she just really tender there and the skin is thin. I would take her out asap

Whoa! I've never heard of this, either! Like Celice suggested, perhaps the doe's skin isn't tough enough now that they're four weeks? :shrug:

My son suggests that perhaps she has stopped producing much milk, and they weren't getting fed enough... trying a little too hard to get more?

No clue, but yes, they should be able to handle weaning at this point.

For the doe, you can apply Blu-Kote, Wound-Kote (similar), Nu-Stock, Vetericyn, Betadyne, even Neosporin (last resort).

The doe is on her own now, but my parents decided to actually take the kits away.

Celice":2x7i5xd4 said:

wow, that's a new one for me too. it could be that she just really tender there and the skin is thin. I would take her out asap

That's what puzzles me. She had raised 4 litters so far and was our best mama rabbit without any problems. I really have no clue what was the trigger with these.

Miss M":2x7i5xd4 said:
For the doe, you can apply Blu-Kote, Wound-Kote (similar), Nu-Stock, Vetericyn, Betadyne, even Neosporin (last resort).

I hardly believe we have any of these in Croatia. The only thing we have around the house is Octenisept, which is a human antiseptic spray for mucosas and genital areas so I hope it's safe for her.

Croatia, I'm sorry, I forgot!

I would go ahead and use the Octenisept. Sometimes, you have to use what you can, and hope for the best. :clover:

Just a thought, but could it possibly be mastitis? If kits don't get milk but can get a hold of mom, they can become quite violent in trying to get milk. Especially wondering since she's done well before. One reason why I have some early wean does (kits get nippy, they get finished).

Maybe try taking the babies out sooner. Our first litter was separated from mum at 4 weeks because they were eating hard food and drinking water out of a plate. I hope your doe gets better

Did you check the doe for mastitis? If she suddenly dried up and the kits were very hungry? That is a new one, hope they all do fine.

RustyPocket":2gkuv00d said:
The doe is on her own now, but my parents decided to actually take the kits away.

Celice":2gkuv00d said:

That's what puzzles me. She had raised 4 litters so far and was our best mama rabbit without any problems. I really have no clue what was the trigger with these.

Miss M":2gkuv00d said:

I hardly believe we have any of these in Croatia. The only thing we have around the house is Octenisept, which is a human antiseptic spray for mucosas and genital areas so I hope it's safe for her.

also grease [from rendered animal fat, or "bacon grease"] can be used if need be for a wound dressing

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":1zvydi0l said:
Just a thought, but could it possibly be mastitis? If kits don't get milk but can get a hold of mom, they can become quite violent in trying to get milk. Especially wondering since she's done well before. One reason why I have some early wean does (kits get nippy, they get finished).

This was my first thought as well. Poor thing.

*fingers crossed she heals well*

Back