Kits running

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowJudy56210

Reaction score
So I moved them. I didnt like how cramped they looked (though they had no problems for now lol) so I moved them. At first Judy refused to feed them but then she made her own nest out of the left over nest (I tried rebuilding it and making it look spacious but only the kits liked it. She destroyed it 😐) she ended up feeding them in her nest lol. They are now 14 days old now. They already started eating the hay and some of them kept eating some of Judy's food (shes not a year old yet. Shes 7 months old so she still eats juvenile food) is that ok? I keep moving it and even taking the bowl out so she can eat it outside but she brings some inside. Is that concerning? Also I pick them up alot 🤣🤣 they love it. The doe hates it but then she just let's it happen. She knows I babysit them while she takes a nap😂😂

Attachments

• Snapchat-1437194878.mp4
    29.3 MB
Unless there is a hazard to the kits, it's typically best to leave the nest undisturbed until they're about 4ish weeks old. As you found, the doe can stop feeding them because of the change. Sometimes, she'll continue to refuse and stop feeding altogether. I would avoid moving the nest anymore and let the doe nest where she wants-- again, unless there is no hazard (e.g. drenched in urine, on wire, etc.).

It's okay that they are beginning to nibble the pellets. I usually notice this at 3 weeks old rather than 2 weeks old, but if it was a small litter and they're growing a lot faster, then it's not unheard of to have them begin nibbling at 2 weeks. Do not move the bowl and let them continue nibbling. If you notice any diahorrea, which can happen during the transition from milk to pellets, begin offering them plain oats (it's okay if the doe eats it, too).

It's also okay to pick them up as long as you are mindful of your doe. If she gets really upset, it's best to leave them alone until she's done giving them her attention. You don't want her feeling anxious by your presence; sometimes, the doe will become more possessive and territorial with subsequent litters.

Back