Kits foot sticking out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
So today I was looking at my other does kit, and one of his back legs is sticking straight out. He appears to be able to move it , but it's not as developed as his other leg. It seems pretty smaller, and has much less fur.

I know there's there legged rabbits, but do you think this will pose harm for him? Should I be concerned? I'll try and get a photo.

I'd just watch it right now. If it actually dies, it'll probably take the kit with it, without amputation.

But maybe it'll just stay his underdeveloped leg.

Someone else mentioned it could just be splayed legs. I got some photos.
tx3mlyu.jpg

1CNGjNU.jpg

eV2mHYw.jpg

Sorry, bad pictures, but you can tell how it sticks out and how it looks. It'll bend, but to keep it in a normal position takes a bit of force (not a lot, but it resists). I noticed when I picked him up sometimes he'll freak out and spazz out. Could he be in pain?

I've never seen a splayed leg, but I'd figure that's what it would look like.

The leg doesn't look in danger of dying, now that I see it.

He could be in pain... but I know some kits just spazz when they're picked up. :shrug:

Well others seem to agree that it's splayed leg. One has a disabled splayed leg bunny, so I'll trust her, lol.

Thank you though. It won't hurt at least. Glad to know it at least doesn't look too bad.

Splay leg usually affects both legs as it is a malformation of the pelvic bones, to me this looks more like a broken femur, dislocated hip or broken pelvis

It might be the broken pelvis. I noticed in all of the pictures that both legs are in the same position. There is no movement of the left leg that I can see in these pictures. Both legs go towards the right side, the left leg going under the body while the right leg sticks out away from the body.

I had one with a dislocated hip. Not sure what happened. It mostly dragged the leg but it competed with siblings for food and water so I let it grow up. I sent it on to a pet home that understood the leg must be kept clean and may need amputation. They have a 3 legged dog so they understood and thought a 3 legged rabbit would fit in well.

So, if it's a slipped hip, can't fix it?

He can his legs. He doesn't, like, move the angle their resting at, but neither did the other kit really. Didn't think rabbits really moved their back legs much other than to kick - not exactly wriggling them around or anything.

Is slipped hip genetic

With xrays and possibly surgery a vet might be able to fix the hip. That's someone else's choice. Anything that costs more than $20 is usually dog food around here. Just to examine an animal a vet often charges $40+.

So, it's a single kit, Whaddya think? Kill it now? Try to find a pet home?

I'd be more than willing to have her/him neutered if able to find a pet home, but not sure if I should keep him alive. He seems otherwise fine,

If they aren't showing pain I always leave the rabbits alone for awhile and then make a decision. You never quite know which ones will improve and which ones will get worse. If they aren't going to be useful as breeding stock though you have to question what quality of pet home you can find for them. It's actually unfortunate people won't just put down an animal they can't care for properly and can't surrender anywhere. They may find the extra work no matter how small too much to deal with and since most think living in pain is better than dying or they feel guilty about it they may ignore it for as long as possible. Not good for the rabbit. You have to invest a lot more in finding a good home or if you want to spend the funds fix the complication as best as possible to reduce long term problems. Many don't want to deal with pet owners buying completely healthy rabbits.

If it were one of my Mini Lops I'd kill it now.

If it was one of my AmChins and I was certain it wasn't in pain and not developing urine burns or sore spots then I'd wait until it was 5 pounds then butcher it.

I think I'm just going to keep her, and probably take her to a friend whose a vet.

Keep her as a pet so long as she is doing well.

Back