Kits born today (my daughters 19th bday!) AND a ????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
Okay so my big question is WHY is there NO COLOR???

I have bred her multiple times to various bucks. Never any broken kits. NEVER. Even when bred to broken bucks.

So I bred her to a very broken buck. lol He's orange and white with a couple black spots. He has half blue eyes.

12410533_10206667814948749_5816845961409003655_n.jpg

Here is the Momma:

535066_10206667814388735_8388665128852938440_n.jpg

And the kits:

8294_10206667813708718_3374015831912629896_n.jpg

Is this a stripe on the forehead or just pink skin with a part in the newborn baby fur?

1915846_10206667813988725_6103769048464693543_n.jpg

I do believe you have a stripe. :) When he furs out, you'll know for sure.

As for why she never gives you broken kits when bred to broken bucks... I don't know. Somehow, the sperm with broken genes isn't making it through. :shrug:

But... I think you have a stripe. :p

I hope I have a stripe! I have never ever ever gotten a broken kit form her. But according to the experts here... she should have 50% broken!

PLEASE be a STRIPE! <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:40 pm __________ <br /><br /> I want some darn brokens! lol

post289980.html?hilit=champagne#p289980

Dood":1u33kayx said:
Broken pattern is a dominant trait so if you breed a champagne (self black silver) to any broken you should get 50% to 100% broken patterned kits that could also have silvering

Is it possible that your brokens have dutch or vienna marks instead of the broken pattern gene?
1/2 blue eyes and an asymetrical pattern definitely sounds like vienna to me. The orange and dark spots are caused by the harlequin pattern gene(ej) paired with something more recessive, itself or non extension. (ej or e)

ohhhhh vienna marked would be great. This is this bucks first breeding. His eyes are half brown (upper half) and half blue (lower half). I got him as a young kit so I think that black spot is really a black spot and not a scar. His tiny kit pics have the black spot so he's a tri color.

The doe does not look like a broken so she won't have broken kits unless bred to a broken and the buck is not ;)

Tri- colours are broken harlequins, he is a Vienna marked harlequin :)

Please post pictures of the broken pattern bucks you have tried her with

Dood":11k086bn said:
The doe does not look like a broken so she won't have broken kits unless bred to a broken and the buck is not ;)

Tri- colours are broken harlequins, he is a Vienna marked harlequin :)

Please post pictures of the broken pattern bucks you have tried her with

OH MY GOSH. He is not broken? All the bucks that are "broken" have been tri colored... I though that was considered broken. Now my brain is broken.

It's funny how harlequin with broken is called tri, but not harlequin with any other white marking gene. :)

A harlequin dutch and a vienna marked harlequin would be the proper terms for those genes. It might seem like it's just semantics, since all are rabbits with three colors, but the genes can behave quite differently.

Vienna is what makes a blue eyed white rabbit when doubled up. It may not show on a coat at all if a rabbit has only one copy of the gene, or one copy may show up with lots of white and even cause blue eyes on a colored coat. Lot's of variation possible.

I'm going to guess your champagne doe is well bred from a long line of champagne d'argents, and carries plenty of suppression modifiers that are minimizing the amount of white(vienna marks.) Broken pattern would behave differently, and may not even be affected by the same modifiers.

alforddm":3khkrs0a said:
Do the Vienna and Dutch patterns affect the Harlequin pattern the way broken does?

It seems that the dutch pattern gene is reasonably accepted to be the culprit for the white spotting so often seen on harlequins.

It may also help with creating that desirable checkered pattern somehow, which offers one possible explanation as to why it was never entirely bred out.

The pics of harlequin dutch also have that banded/checkered pattern we associate with the harlequin breed.

If one of the kits with the stripe on the forehead is a doe... Can anyone tell me what would happen if I bred her back to her sire?

__________ Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:54 pm __________

Oh and I have a deposit on a lovely black and white spotted doe. Can anyone shed light on what that would bring?

I don't even sell my offspring. I just eat them. But I like color! lol <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:27 pm __________ <br /><br /> So there are 7 kits.

4 "solids" which could be silvered.
2 with strips on their foreheads
1 solid with a pink belly (otter?)

dayna":2v7sazj1 said:
I don't even sell my offspring. I just eat them.

That sounds terrible. :x

How did your daughter get so lucky to escape that fate and make it to 19? :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

MamaSheepdog":2g04brrx said:
dayna":2g04brrx said:
I don't even sell my offspring. I just eat them.

That sounds terrible. :x

How did your daughter get so lucky to escape that fate and make it to 19? :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

hahahahaha she was the lucky one!

Latest posts

Back