Kit with injury. Please help.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymomma1991

Reaction score
We were checking all the kits over today and we realized that one has an injury on it. We don't know what it is from if its a scratch or a disease. We just want to make sure that it isn't something that is going to hurt the other ones.

Attachments

• 093a.jpg
    093a.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 094a.jpg
    094a.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 342
I'm sorry, but I have never seen anything quite like that. :? It looks almost like a bite from an insect since it has that little hole in the center.

You might try some campho phenique on it and see if that helps any.

I had a kit born with something that looked like this. I assumed the doe had some how injured it in birth but unfortunately I noticed the hind legs of this kit didn't work 'right', then not at all and he had no bladder control and was always messy so I re- diagnosed it as exposed spinal cord and culled him within 7 days.

I am leaning toward an abscess, mostly because of that apparent hole in the center.

With other animals and people, hot compresses for awhile to see if there's any change. But in a rabbit nest, they are heating each other themselves.
If it's fluid, you could use a small gauge needle and suction out a bit, if there's no blood, you may be able to pull more. I wouldn't cut into it, just because the kit still lives in a nest where they pee on each other and walk on top of everyone, that will get infected fast. Even if you put on a bandaid, mom will rip it off.
If you do use a needle, use a new one for each skin prick.

It kind of looks like a bug bite to me. But thinking of where it's located, I would watch it very closely, if it gets any larger or you see loss of movement in the back end, I would start trying to alleviate the pressure and hoping the infection/swelling isn't going into the spine.

MaggieJ":ynefvzjf said:
Spider bite was my first thought. But I've never seen anything like it on a rabbit either.

That is what it looked like to me, too, but I haven't ever seen one on a rabbit.

Back