Kit on the wire.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Was just finishing up chores this morning, and making my last walk down the isle to check cages, when I heard a faint squishy squeak. Honey had one kit on the wire. I had just replenished the hay in her nest box, so I know it was the only one. She's on day 29, and has no fur pulled, with no signs of labor. I just checked her again, and there's blood around the cage, but still no fur pulled, and no other kits delivered. The one kit did not survive, and she's pleasantly eating hay.

I'm kind of wondering if this is what happened to my other doe that was spotting, except she maybe ate her kit, but what is going on all of a sudden? We've never had this happen before, and now twice in a row? This is her second litter, and her first she was an excellent mom. Pulled fur prior to kindling, and delivered in her nest box.

Any thoughts?

I would not be surprised if she kindled more kits over the next 24 hours or so. She's a little early, which is not great, but she may have been taken by surprise and that's why it was on the wire instead of in the box. I'd check on her now and again, in case she has more on the wire that do survive. As to why twice for this kind of thing, I don't have any ideas. It could just be coincidence. Any changes in their diet or surroundings? Anything that might have scared them? Being vigilant for any emerging pattern is all I can suggest.

No weird changes on food or anything, but I guess with the rabbitry now enclosed, and all the work that's been done out there, it was a bit chaotic on the weekends this last month. I've been keeping the doors open to keep it full of fresh air till we get our exhaust system in later this week, but other than that, no food changes. Maybe we'll chalk this up to all the chaos and commotion they've gone through with all the building going on, and just keep a close eye out.

I have notice recently that some of my young first time mommies are making great nests NEXT to the nest box and not IN the nest box. I was able to move 2 last month and they ended up having the kits in the box. This morning I found 2 kits in a big pile of hay on the wire [I tried to cover the floor with hay just in case] but one was already cold. I have the other one in my shirt as I type. Fortunately I have another doe who kindled this am too. Although she already has 9 kits but has raised that may several times. I have more due today and tomorrow so we'll see where this kit will go. I did take momma into my lap and held the kit to several of her teats to be sure this kit got fed this morning. She was very cooperative. She still seems big so maybe she has more. I tried to put lots more straw around. We'll see

She ended up having 8 live kits, and 2 dead. I had found the one that didn't make it a couple days ago, and there was another cold one on the wire this morning.

The live ones are doing good though, all fed, and active. :clap2:

fuzzy9":np92vz7u said:
She ended up having 8 live kits, and 2 dead. I had found the one that didn't make it a couple days ago, and there was another cold one on the wire this morning.

The live ones are doing good though, all fed, and active. :clap2:

Yay!!! Congrats on the popples....so you have eight or six?

Thanks! :D Yes......8 live popples. :lol:

Maggie, I have to tell you, I have been thinking that very same thing lately. I honestly do not mind the smaller litters either. Seems that we have less problems, and they grow so quickly, they always seem healthier too. It's just to sad to deal with finding dead kits, and to see a skinny kit struggling to survive. I mean, I know these are meat rabbits, but I still have a very big heart for animals.

Sometimes does will not put a bunny in the nest box if its not right.

curlysue":771gc9ic said:
Sometimes does will not put a bunny in the nest box if its not right.

Rabbits don't move their kits, they either have them in the box or they don't.... :(

Latest posts

Back