Kit Nest boxes and hide boxes in winter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck Survivalist

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Next week my weather drops to 15* way below freezing and I want to make sure my 2 week and 1 week old kits will survive.

I made 3 new nest boxes on Saturday as photo below:20240108_043045.jpg

But my when it hits freezing Temps my kits will be almost 4 weeks wanting to venture out, im thinking of making these type of kit hide boxes so they can burro in the hay and ao instead of falling out of nest box and freezing they have this where they can go out and back in. Box on left of photo where mom can't go in.
Screenshot_20240108_071021.jpg

Also another question, will the kits be fine amd crawl to mother when they want milk when they are in that hide box?

Hello folks,

Next week my weather drops to 15* way below freezing and I want to make sure my 2 week and 1 week old kits will survive.

I made 3 new nest boxes on Saturday as photo below:View attachment 38599

But my when it hits freezing Temps my kits will be almost 4 weeks wanting to venture out, im thinking of making these type of kit hide boxes so they can burro in the hay and ao instead of falling out of nest box and freezing they have this where they can go out and back in. Box on left of photo where mom can't go in.
View attachment 38600

Also another question, will the kits be fine amd crawl to mother when they want milk when they are in that hide box?
your boxes look very nice and sturdy. just watch the babies and you will know what you need to do as they grow. is the white stuff fur? I'm freezing for a few more days at -6 so I assume it is snow gaaaaaa

I kinda like to have hidey boxes for all our rabbits. The does have them nest boxes. And I built small boxes for the bucks. Our winters are long and it gets real cold. For extended periods. I believe that having a box for the rabbits accomplishes several things. First it's warmer. And with them stuffed with hay they tend to eat/chew a lot. And helps reduce stress. Also let's them get off the wire on the bottom of the pens. So hopefully reducing any hock issues. We also get stray dogs. Having a box helps keep the rabbits safer.
We will start our breeding program at the end of the month. And hopefully the kits and new moms will all be safe n comfortable

Latest posts

Back