Kit color question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwr

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We recently had our first two satin angora litters born, which has been very exciting for us. The kits in the first litter (chocolate doe x chocolate buck) were pretty easy to identify as all chocolate kits. Our second litter, however, seems to have a little more color diversity. The doe is black and buck is chocolate. Would anyone have any thoughts on the color of the two lighter kits in the group (picture attached)? Thank you!

Attachments

• new kits.jpg
    new kits.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 0
Would anyone have any thoughts on the color of the two lighter kits in the group (picture attached)?
At birth, albino white, ermine, Californian and fawn (orange, depending on breed) kits look similar. They start out all pink. After a few days, the hair will start to emerge. Albino white, ermine & Californian (aka Himalayan or pointed white) will start out all white. Once the eyes open at around ten days, the points on the ermines & Cals should also start to come in. REW & Cal will have red/pink eyes, ermines often have the chinchilla grayish eye.

The kits with non-extension ee will start showing the yellow shades in a few days: cream/fawn/orange/red. Agouti non-extension will be fawn/orange and show that lovely golden hair all over. The dilute (called fawn or cream depending on breed) version will be paler, more of a beige shade. Those with high rufus will look redder. Non-agouti (self) non-extension aa ee is called tortoiseshell, 'tort' for short. Here, you will see the same yellow tones on the main body, but the points (nose, ears, feet and tail) will have one of the four dark colors, which are black or chocolate, and their dilutes blue or lilac.

It looks to me like the top mystery kit has shading around the head and ears, and on the lower body, which makes me think tort.

Hi everyone! We recently had our first two satin angora litters born, which has been very exciting for us. The kits in the first litter (chocolate doe x chocolate buck) were pretty easy to identify as all chocolate kits. Our second litter, however, seems to have a little more color diversity. The doe is black and buck is chocolate. Would anyone have any thoughts on the color of the two lighter kits in the group (picture attached)? Thank you!
The one on the right looks like a tort, which is a non-extension self black (or chocolate), and that would make sense from the parents if they both carried non-extension <e>.

The one on the lower left, though, I wonder about. It looks like a red or orange, but those are agouti colors, which you should not see out of two self parents. I don't see any shading on it, and with its rich color the shading should be nice and dark, but maybe it's just hidden in this photo. Could you post another photo or two of that kit, showing its sides and feet/tail?

At birth, albino white, ermine, Californian and fawn (orange, depending on breed) kits look similar. They start out all pink. After a few days, the hair will start to emerge. Albino white, ermine & Californian (aka Himalayan or pointed white) will start out all white. Once the eyes open at around ten days, the points on the ermines & Cals should also start to come in. REW & Cal will have red/pink eyes, ermines often have the chinchilla grayish eye.

The kits with non-extension ee will start showing the yellow shades in a few days: cream/fawn/orange/red. Agouti non-extension will be fawn/orange and show that lovely golden hair all over. The dilute (called fawn or cream depending on breed) version will be paler, more of a beige shade. Those with high rufus will look redder. Non-agouti (self) non-extension aa ee is called tortoiseshell, 'tort' for short. Here, you will see the same yellow tones on the main body, but the points (nose, ears, feet and tail) will have one of the four dark colors, which are black or chocolate, and their dilutes blue or lilac.

It looks to me like the top mystery kit has shading around the head and ears, and on the lower body, which makes me think tort.
Thank you for all of the information!

The one on the right looks like a tort, which is a non-extension self black (or chocolate), and that would make sense from the parents if they both carried non-extension <e>.

The one on the lower left, though, I wonder about. It looks like a red or orange, but those are agouti colors, which you should not see out of two self parents. I don't see any shading on it, and with its rich color the shading should be nice and dark, but maybe it's just hidden in this photo. Could you post another photo or two of that kit, showing its sides and feet/tail?
Here are a few more pictures in better lighting than the original. Thank you for the information!

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2912.jpg
    IMG_2912.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back