kids these days...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntress86

Reaction score
So when getting back into rabbits, one of our agreements was that there will be meat rabbits. thats fine with me, i grew up with rabbit and noodles lol. but my almost 10 yr old step daughter said she will not eat anything we "kill like that". oh geezy petes.. but she will consume an abundance of deer steak every winter! when i told her it tastes like chicken (roll eyes here)she said she cant support such cruelty. welcome early hormones...so do i just cook the meal and not tell her, cook it and tell her its what we fix get over it, or what?

what is up with the gameboy packing, netflix needing kids these days?? i am also having a problem getting her into the show mindset, she wants to show,she begged for an ARBA membership, but would rather play dress up with her 5 yr old neighbor friends, than come back over and learn to pose our buck Barley.i am not a mom lol, but when i was young, my rabbits were my everything. thank goodness we didnt have cable or 3DS....i might would have nothing to show as far as accomplishments for my childhood.

I've been trying to spark some interest in something other than rap videos and hair weave in my students. So much for that. Kids these days don't seem to have the focus to do anything for any length of time that does not offer instant gratification.

As far as the other, if this is a point you are willing to start a long war over, then this is a good way to do it, otherwise cook it, and either she eats it or she doesn't, and I'd leave her be. She can eat whatever else is prepared. There were things I didn't eat when my mom cooked, nothing that was a point of controversy, I just didn't like it. She didn't make me anything else, and I just dealt with it. Food is one of those things I don't see the point of fighting over when it comes to "different" meats. I've eaten squid, clam, crayfish, but I haven't eaten rabbit or deer.

My sister wouldnt eat rabbit either.funny because she also ate deer steaks.if my son wont eat whats in front of him hes getting peanut butter and jelly.

Pull the plug. It is amazing how much you get done without all the electric crap frying your brain
& PB&J is our rout too!

I think that it is just a stage most kids go through. My 8 year old will eat meat, she is not crazy about it but she will eat a little. I do make it a point though not to lie about what she is eating i dont tell her come eat the chicken when it is really rabbit I just dont think it is right. I let her make up her own mind on whether she likes it or not. I did get her to try deer and she liked it, but the 1 time we ate rabbit she refused to try it, which is fine with me. She was upset when we first butchered our roosters but I just explained how we need the meat to help us grow and be strong and that the roosters were cared for and healthy right up to the day they were butchered. She was fine with that and even ate them when we cooked them.

And yes my daughter would rather play with her friends than practice with the rabbits, so would my 12 y/o son for that matter. Of course they would rather play than clean there room too! :lol:

I may sound harsh, but I was brought up in a strict family... If my sons refuse to eat one thing on their plate they go without. That's it. Bed and a book await them in their room. I also cut the cable years ago because there were so many disagreements on what to watch, who had control of the remote, and how much they were watching. Gone... but guess what? They hardly notice it, and they have other intrests (like our many pets and working outdoors).

Iggysbabysitter":z4qsljwq said:
I may sound harsh, but I was brought up in a strict family... If my sons refuse to eat one thing on their plate they go without. That's it. Bed and a book await them in their room. I also cut the cable years ago because there were so many disagreements on what to watch, who had control of the remote, and how much they were watching. Gone... but guess what? They hardly notice it, and they have other intrests (like our many pets and working outdoors).
:yeahthat:
Imma goin to keep quiet on this thread, too easily disagreed on and things taken the wrong way. I hope whatever you do she finally comes around to the sweet tastes of rabbit.

Find a video showing a a deer kill/dressing.

I wouldn't lie to her either...really not a good thing cuz eventually she'll find out and resent you for it, and learn to distrust you. When my DS was younger and didn't like something, I made him take one bite. If he really didn't like it, he didn't have to eat it...but I didn't make anything else, either. If she doesn't want the rabbit, let her have the veggies, spuds, bread, salad, whatever, and call it good. Her tastes will change as she gets older.

Since you're the stepmom, what does your husband say? That will carry a lot more weight. Does she live with you? What does her mother say?

I can't fault her too much for wanting to play dress-up--that's a lot more creative than spending hours in front of the one-eyed mind-sucker (a.k.a. TV). Was showing rabbits her idea or yours? Has she been to any shows or talked with other kids who show?

My kids love raising rabbits, but they couldn't care less about showing. We went to several 4H shows so they could see what it was like, but it didn't interest them. My oldest was already in college by the time we got rabbits, so he hasn't really been around them. He would probably eat rabbit, though. He worked on a horse ranch in high school and junior college, so he would probably help take care of them if needed. #2 (in college, living at home) will eat rabbit and will help take care of the rabbits in a pinch if I give him explicit instructions. He would probably also help butcher if I asked him to. #3 is my rabbit whisperer. HUGE help, has butchered rabbits, has no problem eating them. #4 gladly helps take care of them, will eat rabbit, but won't butcher. #5 also takes care of them, but gets upset at the thought of eating rabbit, no matter how much I explain that it's no different from the cow, pig, or chicken that he does love to eat.

Like several others, I won't lie to him, but I might not volunteer to tell him what it is. I'm of the same mindset that you eat what's put in front of you or go hungry, although I do try to take into account any strong dislikes (I have one who hates mushrooms, and another who hates rice).

Several years ago, my kids voted to give up satellite TV in favor of a gym membership. We haven't missed it, although they now have Xboxes and spend more time than I would like on games. At least the games they do play are more of the creative-adventure sort. They like to be outdoors, though, too--hiking, camping, running, etc., so I can't complain too much. The two youngest also heavily involved in music (violin and choir) and Scouts.

quick story.. :eek:ldgeezer: ..back in the day, our family lived with my aunt's family :farmer3: for several months as we were between houses. Us 4 "younger" kids (10 thru 5) were sitting quietly at the dining room table :grouphug2: watching through the door to the kitchen stove :stirpot2: where our mothers were cooking something mysterious. :fryegg: We voted and my younger brother was elected to "interrupt" and spy on the upcoming meal.. :notsafe: ..he heard my aunt say, "Do you think we should tell them what it is?" and my mom said, "If we do, they won't eat it." :mrgreen:

Now I had eaten beef tongue, :muscles: what could be worse than eating a steer's tongue?!?! :(

My brother got in trouble for leaving the table, :detective: but he did get a good look in the skillet. "It's long stips," he said. "and they're all curled around like octopus arms." :oops:

We were silent. Sure enough, my aunt brought the skillet to the table :fryegg: and my brother was right....they were trying to feed us OCTOPUSES!!! We bowed our heads and thanked the Lord, :priest: but we wished for once the prayer had been longer. :priest: However, as we passed our empty plates to my aunt, my little brother burst into tears. "Please don't make us eat octopus," he wailed. :cry_baby:

My aunt was horrified, :slap: "Oh, honey. No. We would never make you eat octopus! This is beef heart. It's good, I promise you." :mrgreen: We were so relieved that it came from a cow :choir: and not an octopus, that we cleaned our plates :dinner: and asked for more. :angel: (It was a cheap cut of meat that they couldn't have served to their husbands, no matter how lean times had become.) :farmer2: :farmer2: :farmer2: :farmer2:

Iggysbabysitter":21pjyqkm said:
I may sound harsh, but I was brought up in a strict family... If my sons refuse to eat one thing on their plate they go without.
My kids are both mildly autistic (Aspies), and so they have some sensory issues. Bunny-Wan Kenobi had gotten to where he was more and more picky. When he was younger, I understood that he could not bring himself to eat some things. Once he got a little older, he was required to eat what was put before him, whether he liked it or not. If he didn't eat it in a reasonable amount of time, he got it the next day.

He has learned to eat his food without much issue these days (he's 11 now). Many of the things he used to have so much trouble with, he has suddenly decided he likes within the last year. "I've always liked it!" he insists. We know differently. ;)

With your situation, Huntress, probably make sure you and your hubby are on the same page... and then just cook and serve without saying what it is unless you are asked. Maybe she'll end up eating a bunch of rabbit before she realizes it, and get over it. That's how we handled it with my niece and nephews.

trinityoaks":33367m5d said:
Since you're the stepmom, what does your husband say? That will carry a lot more weight. Does she live with you? What does her mother say?

I can't fault her too much for wanting to play dress-up--that's a lot more creative than spending hours in front of the one-eyed mind-sucker (a.k.a. TV). Was showing rabbits her idea or yours? Has she been to any shows or talked with other kids who show?

My kids love raising rabbits, but they couldn't care less about showing. We went to several 4H shows so they could see what it was like, but it didn't interest them. My oldest was already in college by the time we got rabbits, so he hasn't really been around them. He would probably eat rabbit, though. He worked on a horse ranch in high school and junior college, so he would probably help take care of them if needed. #2 (in college, living at home) will eat rabbit and will help take care of the rabbits in a pinch if I give him explicit instructions. He would probably also help butcher if I asked him to. #3 is my rabbit whisperer. HUGE help, has butchered rabbits, has no problem eating them. #4 gladly helps take care of them, will eat rabbit, but won't butcher. #5 also takes care of them, but gets upset at the thought of eating rabbit, no matter how much I explain that it's no different from the cow, pig, or chicken that he does love to eat.

Like several others, I won't lie to him, but I might not volunteer to tell him what it is. I'm of the same mindset that you eat what's put in front of you or go hungry, although I do try to take into account any strong dislikes (I have one who hates mushrooms, and another who hates rice).

Several years ago, my kids voted to give up satellite TV in favor of a gym membership. We haven't missed it, although they now have Xboxes and spend more time than I would like on games. At least the games they do play are more of the creative-adventure sort. They like to be outdoors, though, too--hiking, camping, running, etc., so I can't complain too much. The two youngest also heavily involved in music (violin and choir) and Scouts.

Honestly I dont think I would lie to her, I need her to trust me as much as possible lol. Her parents are divorced so her father guilt parents. He spoils her to the core, when she gets punished, he apologizes, ect. You dont want to see her christmas,lol she still has toys she hasnt opened from 2 years ago. With that being said, at dinner time he will prepare her a completely seperate dinner than ours. its burns my butt because i just took the time to fix them a healthy, balanced meal. And this is waaay more often than not. So of course you see there are many other underlying issues.

I am just going to make a meal and hope she doesnt speak up before its on the table. Im really hoping she will just try it and like it.She loves meat, its just that butchering thought,lol. If anyone has any kid friendly recipes, I am open for them. I want her first time to be a good experience! Im thinking rabbit and noodles, it does taste so close to chicken in that dish :)

We have her wednesdays and weekends. I dont speak with her mother, we are civil, but she is a bad person and i choose not to be more than acquaintances.

Showing rabbits was my idea, I dont have much in common with her, and thought this would be an awsome family hobby to bring us closer,and give me someone to show with. She is interested, but i think until she goes to a show shes not going to understand. she is an only child since her little sister passed this summer so i told her there will be kids there she can become friends with. shes mostly interested in that at this time. which im totally ok with.

Is she able to watch something on how chickens are raised? You could show her how horrible their lives are and compare them to your happy rabbits?

My kids all love the taste of rabbit but dont half give some resistance to the daily care sometimes.

Rabbit taco, spaghetti, casserole, kiev.........

Rabbit is goooooood!

Maybe the reason she hangs out with younger kids is because she misses her sister. This is a very complicated situation and you're not getting a lot of help dealing with it. In your place, I would concentrate on building trust and liking between you and your step-daughter, rather than in changing her attitudes and behaviour. I think, in time, that will give you more influence with her than anything else. Just my take on the subject... and I'm no expert.

huntress86":1pfu7xh8 said:
So when getting back into rabbits, one of our agreements was that there will be meat rabbits. thats fine with me, i grew up with rabbit and noodles lol. but my almost 10 yr old step daughter said she will not eat anything we "kill like that". oh geezy petes.. but she will consume an abundance of deer steak every winter! when i told her it tastes like chicken (roll eyes here)she said she cant support such cruelty. welcome early hormones...so do i just cook the meal and not tell her, cook it and tell her its what we fix get over it, or what?

what is up with the gameboy packing, netflix needing kids these days?? i am also having a problem getting her into the show mindset, she wants to show,she begged for an ARBA membership, but would rather play dress up with her 5 yr old neighbor friends, than come back over and learn to pose our buck Barley.i am not a mom lol, but when i was young, my rabbits were my everything. thank goodness we didnt have cable or 3DS....i might would have nothing to show as far as accomplishments for my childhood.

I do not think it is new. My neighbor raised rabbits and probably 30 years ago his daughter was not going to eat rabbits. They cooked it and told her it was chicken and she ate it. Later she was told by a friend it was rabbit and she said she would never eat it again. I have a friend and when she was a kid her dad raised rabbits, and the parents cooked it and the kids thought it was chicken,and the dad said, see I told you that you would like rabbit and her sister threw it all up, so he decided to get rid of the rabbits.

MaggieJ":1mqqbkpn said:
Maybe the reason she hangs out with younger kids is because she misses her sister. This is a very complicated situation and you're not getting a lot of help dealing with it. In your place, I would concentrate on building trust and liking between you and your step-daughter, rather than in changing her attitudes and behaviour. I think, in time, that will give you more influence with her than anything else. Just my take on the subject... and I'm no expert.

Well put. That's what I was trying to say, especially the preteen age, no sense starting a war that will spill into other areas. If she wasn't a stepchild, that would be another story. Not saying to be a friend, I don't believe in being friends like that, but some issues aren't worth pushing at certain times.

We do the three bite thing here when trying new foods as my daughter is so resistant to trying new foods.

By the third bite she actally TASTES it instead of what she THINKS its going to taste like.

But I find I get most new foods into my kids by just enjoying them myself. Poultry gibblets and necks USE to be all mine until they watched me enjoying them so much. Same with rabbit livers, hearts and kidneys.

More fool me :roll: I hardly get a look in now with any of it :lol:

How sad that she lost her little sister. :( I can see where her father would be more lenient with her since he lost a daughter as well and may regret not letting her "have her way" in some small ways that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

However, it shows disrespect and a lack of appreciation of your efforts to not eat the meals you have prepared for her. She might be more willing to eat the meals if you enlist her help in making them, especially if she makes one dish all on her own, such as the salad. Kids like to make worthwhile contributions to the family if you will let them. At least mine do. :)

I think people get accustomed to the idea of feeding their kids different meals starting when they are infants and they buy prepared baby food. Even when my kids were babies they always ate the same things we did, just mashed up, so we haven't ever had any real issues about foods. You will never hear me tell my kids to finish their meal, or eat just a few more bites of something and then they may be excused. I think forcing children to eat past the point of feeling full has contributed to the weight problems that so many battle for the rest of their lives.

We do have one rule regarding food though. Whatever is served must be tried- you can spit it into your napkin if you don't like it, but try it you must. That rule applies even if you have had that food before, because tastes do develop over time. If they decide they don't like something, there are plenty of other dishes on the table that they wont go hungry by not eating that one item.

If showing is your idea then I wouldn't push it at all. It's the best way to turn someone off from something optional. I once took up flute in band until my mom said if I didn't practice more I wouldn't be allowed to use the computer. So I quit band to use the computer. You can't make someone do something optional. You have to make it exciting and entertaining and be prepared for them not to like it.

If her Dad is going to cook her a meal anyway's then there is not much you can do. I would just cook your meal in hopes of her eating but do not announce it. My kids always had the option of a PB&J sandwich if they did not like the meal. It sounds to me like a discussion with dad is in order. As the step mom there is only so much you can do. But it is your home and if you cook a nice meal and she does not eat I hope he does not jump up to make her something. A teen can fend for themselves. If he feels the need to cook something else for her let him know ahead of time that you would appreciate if he would wait till your (him included) meal is over before he jumps through her hoops. I have a 17 year old who has chosen to be vegetarian. Not much I can do about it. Choose your battles wisely and only chose those you know you can win.

Latest posts

Back