Keeping them from shedding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillinley

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of senior lilacs last weekend, and once I got them I was amazed at how awesome they were. Just solid body, solid fur, perfect weight, everything (got them from Bob Koch in Wisconsin who's won the best of breed in Lilac's at the ARBA convention 24 times). So I was going to let my daughter show them in youth at nationals in Kentucky next month since we were going for Silver Fox nationals already. My worry is, the coat is in such amazing shape, I don't want them to start a shed right before the show. We already feed our rabbits the same feed as Mr. Koch so that shouldn't be an issue, but he used heat lamps on his rabbits whereas we have them in an uninsulated garage, so although there is no wind, it can get below freezing. I decided today to put them in the house for the next month to keep them at a steady temperature. Is this going to help keep their coat in prime being in a steady temperature or is it just going to be a luck of the draw either way? It's been 22 years since I've had Lilacs, so I'm a bit rusty with remembering how to maintain coat.

Oh man, heat lamps. I don't know how long they can hold out. But its murphys law that when you want to show, they will blow coat. I think a good judge can look past crap coat condition with everything else equal.

If you mention the word "show", there goes their coat. And while a judge may overlook it, a better coat can be the tipping point in who places higher.

It is just that time of year where rabbits will naturally blow coat. I would actually think keeping them out in the cold would help them hold coat.

Did he use heat lamps for keep the area warm?

Bob has GREAT lilacs!!

Latest posts

Back