Keeping them cool.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
okay, I just read througfh the "I have a dilemma" thread---
Some important factors about heat dissipation---'

1) Small body masses dissipate heat more efficiently-- so yes, an adult can succumb a lot sooner than a kit. NAtural examples of this-- Whitetail deer size differences between the 'southern' and 'northern' states. same is true of red fox and even cougars/panthers-- the more southern animals are longer legged, snmaller body masses.

2) Tarps can be good-- but a ventilated shade cloth is better, and trees are best!!! Solid surfaces create what is called a 'heat envelope'- basically, a solid surface above the rabbits will act like the roof on your house-- and actually trap hot air. So, shade cloth, like that used in plant nurseries is a better choice. TREES are Nature's air conditioners-- the way they transpire actually encourages a flow of air from the ground up through their crowns. Try for yourself-- on the same day-- sit under a tarp that has a ceiling of say, 8 feet, then go sit under a nice tree-- you WILL feel a difference....

3) if using fans-- make sure you have an exhaust fan set up HIGH, and then an intake site down on the ground-- that way, you will encourage the natural way air flows under a tree.
Intakes on the north or east side, and exhaust on the south and west sides to facilitate the movement of hot air OUT of the buildings/area and the cooler air into the area...

zee":3adkabj5 said:
This totally makes sense, and I'm gonna give it a shot using these principals to keep my buns cool. Thanks for sharing it.
Zee, since you are in florida-- you can make the intake air even cooler if you bury a pipe a couple feet down- lengthwise-- and draw the air into the rabbit area after it passes through 'cooler' soil. Sort of like making a heat pump--- but cooling air directly . The buried pipe needs an inlet, say under a shady spot/tree- the intake end of the pipe needs to be covered in a way to keep water out of it-- If you look at root cellar designs yu can see how the intake must be done to keep it dry-- when I llived in Cocoa, I really wanted to try cooling my mobile home by burying pipes and pulling air in from outside-- but the park owner had an issue with digging up the lot to make a cooling grid!! :D

Frosted Rabbits, thank you. Putting a pipe underground sure sounds good. I'm gonna look into putting together a plan that incorporates this to make it work.

Back