Keeping Pedigrees (Yuck!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
The funnest part of rabbit raising, the records and filling out pedigrees.
Don't you just love when you are almost done writing out a pedigree and realize you entered some information wrong and have to write it out... again.
I'm not the neatest writer, and keeping records and filling out pedigrees is NOT my favorite thing to do. But since it's cold out, I have no excuse not to get caught up on records and pedigrees filled out. I just finished writing out my Official ARBA Rabbit Pedigree's for my June litter and putting all my rabbits (and their ancestors) into the online system.
What's your favorite or least favorite parts about filling out pedigrees or keeping records?

Once i got the Evans it has been simple to Keep information updated. When i had to hand-write everything.... well... it would get put off..... for long periods of time.
What i enjoy while entering info... is being pleasantly surprised when (once in a blue moon) an animal will show up as Already entered... and a part of the pedigree fills out itself :)

Evan's software makes it easy, but entering pedigrees for new rabbits still takes a bit of time.

My favorite part? Updating peds with Legs! :p

I could never wtite out every pedigree. It's tedious entering new breeders in kintraks. I tend not to get around to it until I have kits out of them to sell. Now I have a desk with a drawer so guess where all the not yet entered peds are backing up? After I fill them in on kintraks the hard copy goes in my folder of various animal pedigrees and registrations.

The best part about filling out Pedigrees is:
With the Evans Rabbit program is, once you have the main herd entered
in the program, the program does most of the work.
i would not be without my Evans Rabbit register program!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I use kintraks, only bad part is entering in new bunnies, takes some time!

$20 for kintraks doesn't exactly break the bank. I've seen pedigree papers packs that cost more. That's 1 bag of pellets or 1 cheap rabbit for a lifetime of use. I've got hundreds if not thousands of entries in kintraks. Pedigree software is also not just pedigrees. They can record matings and give you the date for nestbox, birth, and rebreeding depending on info you setup and then you have an alert for events. You can ask for an inbreeding coefficient and search by various options for currently owned, sold, deceased, gender, relatives, colors....... I believe evans even keeps track of genetics.

I didn't realize it did that much.
I've been doing my stuff the old fashioned way and writing it down, but it might be nice to put it online. That way I don't misplace it or lose it (Like I often do).
I'll have to consider it and do some thinking.

I have never entered a complete pedigree by hand nor handwritten a pedigree. We bought the Deluxe version of the Evans software soon after starting our herd and even though it is a bit expensive, it was worth every penny!! All the breeders I have purchased stock from also use Evans so they have emailed me the pedigree file for each rabbit, so with a couple of clicks the pedigree is imported into my database. I love the breeding tracking features and use it to help us keep our breeding records. When a litter weans, Evans has a function called "expand litter". After you fill in the number of bucks and does in a litter, click "expand litter" and each of those animals is entered in your database as individuals with complete pedigrees!

The record keeping and analysis has been something I have enjoyed. I like looking at the data and seeing how we are doing, what we can improve, what breedings didn't work out so well, how many babies we have raised, etc. etc. Since we started with Evans from the beginning, I have a total picture of our herd. I also love that the Deluxe version will include the genetic data, so I can look at each animal and see not only phenotype (color) but also keep track easily of the genes they carry.

I know some prefer other programs but Evans cannot be beat for customer service, either. The few times I have had any issues, I have gotten a very quick call-back from the software designer himself, who has remedied the problem very quickly. They also take any feedback and suggestions very seriously and often incorporate users' ideas into updates. I cannot recommend Evans highly enough!!

Love my Evans, yes it is a bit pricy. I've had Kintraks but just wasn't powerful enough for me. My first program was called Castle, very old and not even sure you can get a download of it now lol. However, the tracking and finances data at a quick glance is well worth it. Easy to import and export pedigrees in various formats including html. Also provides great way to track litter weights and information on wool length or any other odd thing you want to. Also includes health information and long list predictor for litter colors/possible pairings. It was worth the extra money and the upgrade option is VERY reasonable if keep upgraded (last upgrade was $20.00 to the newest version). Can't beat the almost instant customer service either, some times it does take 24 hours but I've never went further than that and any question I've had has always been answered respectfully no matter how silly it seems after looking back at it and going to myself "really, you do that for a living and you asked them THAT." type of deal lol. Great to save your $$ and get if going to stick in rabbits for a long time definitely!

I see a lot of people raving about these pedigree software for rabbits but how useful is it for mutts? For colors that are not recognized by the ARBA? and does it have a weight tracker?
Because even those who are breeding just for meat are still interested in maintaining efficiency in their herd.

Delicatessy":frqbu69d said:
I see a lot of people raving about these pedigree software for rabbits but how useful is it for mutts? For colors that are not recognized by the ARBA? and does it have a weight tracker?
Because even those who are breeding just for meat are still interested in maintaining efficiency in their herd.

Evans has a cross breed section, colors not recognized by ARBA are in there as well. And has a weight tracker for each rabbit, just have to add it in. Like said before, can make other notes too like lion or bone/flesh dress out in comments.

Very tempted to get one now. But will have to wait till I am truly prepared to breed rabbits to justify such a purchase.

MR_ND: I didn't realize it did that much.
I've been doing my stuff the old fashioned way and writing it down, but it might be nice to put it online. That way I don't misplace it or lose it (Like I often do).
I'll have to consider it and do some thinking.

Even the basic version of Evens does a lot. I have both their Rabbit Register and their Goat Register...definitely work the investment! Evens has GREAT customer service as well, love doing business with them.

fhjmom: I love the breeding tracking features and use it to help us keep our breeding records. When a litter weans, Evans has a function called "expand litter". After you fill in the number of bucks and does in a litter, click "expand litter" and each of those animals is entered in your database as individuals with complete pedigrees!

I had no idea Evens did that :) I have Deluxe as well, and so enjoy it!

Delicatessy: I see a lot of people raving about these pedigree software for rabbits but how useful is it for mutts? For colors that are not recognized by the ARBA? and does it have a weight tracker?

Works for mutts too. You can add any breed, color and weight you want for each rabbit. Super handy :)

Latest posts

Back