Keep or cull?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
Harlequin doe - bred her three times, fourth time she caught, produced two kits. One dead. Took the live kit from her and rebred her. This morning, she produced twelve kits. Two dead on the wire, one head :shock: and eight more dead in the nestbox and one barely moving. Put the live one in with another litter of day-olds, but don't expect it to live as the doe had nine and two more fostered on her last night.

So, do I keep this doe for one more try or put her in the freezer? It's not like the kits froze to death! :evil:

If she isnt needed for anything in her gene pool, I would cull.
I personally like the 3 strikes rule as I have enough of good buns that I would rather put my time and effort into.
Plus I worry about bad traits being passed on.
I have found that behavior can be passed on.

Breed the best, cull the rest is what I try to follow.

now...if she's milking.... you might want to see if she can raise a litter for you. Make her earn her keep for 4-5 weeks. :) Divide up that huge litter that other doe has....

Don't think I want to risk it. If she can lose an entire litter in warm weather, I don't think she's the sharpest knife in the drawer! :? The other two does are proven mothers.

I agree with everyone else. I have a three strike rule here, too.

Back