Just hay and barley.. or supplement?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
I know, old topic, new thread. A forums nightmare ;)

I really need to cut feed costs for the grow outs. Especially since they're kinda slow growing anyhow.
40kg barley is about the same price as 15kg pellet. They already have free choice hay. A tablespoon of BOSS could be arranged s well, at least for winter.

I like the convenience of pellets for the breeding stock.. easy to get and easy to give and I know it has all minerals and stuff. Then the question is.. how do I make that change smoothly between mommas feed and grow-out feed, if I'm going to use separate?
I suppose I have to feed barley to the adults as well, at least some amount.

How much do you figure I need to give the adults to be able to set the kits out in a ''only barley'' feed lot? I know rabbits are not too great with sudden feed changes so I figure they need to be used to it to start with.

I'm not offering them greens due to this wild rabbit myxomatos plague that's running. It's bad enough they're outside (and yes I sort of follow quarantine routines - feed the outside last etc, but I don't think they'll get sick since there isn't a whole lot of wild bunnies here. The disease are usually spread in the cities where they overcrowd. But still) But then I'm not breeding the grow outs and they're in all honesty not living that long... you think they can be sick from vitamin defiency if they're fed only hay, barley and BOSS? I want them to feel well even if I'm finding the pellet are expencive.

I had a time when I fed alfalfa, barley, BOSS and hay to my breeders. I changed feed and other things at the same time so I'm not sure if that (the change to pellet and greens) is the reason they started to breed, but I like the security of giving them a ''finished'' feed. I found the mixing to be annoyng, especially with the alfalfa straw.

I have also heard of a feed thing for sheep (they get sheep pellet ATM) which is supposed to mix with grain. Like some super feed.. and it doesn't cost a lot more than the food I buy now. I think they said mix 15% of this with 85% grain, to up protein and minerals/vitamin. However I'm concerned that the rabbits may pick to eat just the ''super feed'' and end up getting sick... Any toughts?

Since you can't gather wild greens just now, I suggest you take some of that barley and grow fodder. One pound of 12% protein grain turns into 6 pounds of 18% fresh feed. It's a bit of work, but not really that much.
fodder-sprouting-systems-anyone-t10317.html

If you are not going to be feeding pellets, your rabbits will need a trace mineral salt block. The reddish-brown ones for general livestock are what I use.

I don't personally mix feed because it causes a lot of waste when the bunnies dig through to find their favorite bits. I alternate grains (barley and oats) I also add seeds (boss, flax and pumpkin) as a top dressing.

To acclimate the young ones to the food change I would set up a dish of barley in the main pen and still offer some of whatever you are feeding the adults when the young ones get switched to their own pen. It's going to be low in protein though and feeding alfalfa would help with that.

Sprouting is pretty easy and I feel it is really necessary for optimum health to offer fresh feed. If finding wild feed is not possible could you grow some herbs in pots for them?

I dont have green fingers and my attempts has all failed. Plus, its crushed barley...

Thanks for input, I'll think about it :)

Maybe next time buy a whole grain. If your hay is alfalfa (lucerne) they should be able to manage with just barley to supplement along with the mineral block. They are just being grown out for meat, right? I'd give it a try but keep a close eye on them.

Slow growth in naturally fed rabbits is usually due to protein deficiency, I feed rolled barley as it's the only type of barley I can get round here. But I don't think you will have good growth rates with *just* barley and grass hay.

I have bad growth with pellet too but Im not getting ruined by feeding them a few months extra if the feed is practically free :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 pm __________<br /><br />But Im still thinking about it.

dangerbunny":3j9uwmd3 said:
Slow growth in naturally fed rabbits is usually due to protein deficiency, I feed rolled barley as it's the only type of barley I can get round here. But I don't think you will have good growth rates with *just* barley and grass hay.

I agree with you, Dangerbunny, but I thought that Zab had access to alfalfa hay.

Zab, certain tree leaves and twigs have a high protein content. Do you have any willows, poplars, mulberry, apple, pear etc.? (We can check the Latin names to ensure safety if you have any.) By cutting the branches that are well off the ground, there should be no danger of transferring illness from wild rabbits.

I have some willow, but it's rich with acetylic acids (or whatever that thing in aspirins are called) and to be honest I'm not all comfortable with feeding it in any large quantities. :)

I have alfalfa, but it costs as much as the pellet.

But I may just stick to pellets. Perhaps feed a bit less of it.. It's just that they take so long to grow anyway it somewhere feels more clever to let them take their time and grow slowly on extremely cheap feed, than to have them ready a month sooner on expencive feed.
But then there's the whole cage-space issue as well..

why not try it?

only issue I see is low protein and if you are eating them anyway then a slower growth might not be a biggie.

I'm thinking about it :) Maybe doing a test, feeding some with barley and some with pellets..

I know the gotlandrabbit owners are only ''allowed'' to feed hay. Or possibly a bit of grain for pregnant does.. the breeds tademark is to thrive on common forage just like they were kept in the barns hundred years ago. The Swedish Pelt I have is somewhat related to the gotlander, but a bit more commersial with quicker growth rates and a specific fur. Still a small homesteaders rabbit though, growing slowly compared to NZW or the like.

I'm experimenting with mixing breeds as well. At first the checkered giantxSwedish Pelt rabbit crosses were MUCH larger than their half-siblings (pure S-pelts). The mutts are 2 weeks older, but at first weigh-in it was 300gr for the SP and 800for the mutts. Then 600gr vs 1200gr and now it's 800gr vs 1400gr.. so I do wonder how much I'll actually gain by the cross in the end. The purebreds are catching up.. and I suspect they have a better meat-bone ratio as well. But the crosses should end up larger so I figure they should reach 3kg (my desired weight) faster than the SP anyhow. The SP I have now seems to have sort of stopped at 2kg.. but their adult weight should be +3.5kg... Well, sorry for rambling. I am curious to see how they'll do. And I suppose a change of diet should wait untill I know the result of this one.. for comparision :)

Back