Just had 9 kits born

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorflower

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my doe just had 10 kits but sadly 1 got stepped on by mom. This is my first time breading (meat) or any rabbits so I am excited to find this forum.

Hi everyone, my doe just had 10 kits but sadly 1 got stepped on by mom. This is my first time breading (meat) or any rabbits so I am excited to find this forum.
Congratulations, not bad for a first-timer. Pictures?:)
Welcome to RabbitTalk.

Hi Colorflower,

Glad to have you with us. Your doe did great. It's not uncommon to lose one or two from a large litter, and very often you will not know why. Try not to take it to heart. They look nice and healthy, so the ones remaining will likely do well.

~ Maggie

Thanks so much. They seem to be crawling out from underneath the fur, every time I go check I find 1 or 2 laying on the hay in the open end of the nest box and they are always cold is that normal, I am afraid to go to sleep

We actually had 11, 1 born dead, then tonight we lost 2 I don't know why
Thanks for posting a nice picture of your babies.
Thanks so much. They seem to be crawling out from underneath the fur, every time I go check I find 1 or 2 laying on the hay in the open end of the nest box and they are always cold is that normal, I am afraid to go to sleep
They look so cute and innocent, have you not slept yet?😄

That doesn't sound normal. Usually they will snuggle together to keep warm.

I suggest removing the nest box from the cage so you can examine it completely. Take the kits out and put them in a small box or other container, and then dig down into the bedding. There could be a dead kit underneath that you missed.

As the body grows cold, it can disrupt the ability of the kits to stay cozy and they get restless and start moving around. And, being so young and helpless, they cannot get back until you come and rescue them.

If you do find a dead kit and remove it and then rebuild the nest, that may end the problem. If you find nothing, I'm not sure what the cause might be. If the rabbitry is chilly, you should add extra nesting materials. Natural fibres are best. There is a product on the market that seems to be kapok sold just for this purpose. Rabbit fur is of course best. I've used soft feathers like those in a feather pillow. Dryer fluff, teased cotton batting can be used too to add to the nest.

Do not use polyester fibres like those found in modern pillows. They can get wrapped around the kits' legs or neck.

Finally, check to make sure the kits are being fed. Momma will only feed them a couple of times a day, typically dawn and dusk. The rest of the time she will likely ignore them. This is a normal survival strategy to keep from drawing attention to the nest. Well-fed kits will have a rounded belly. See this thread:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures.3052/
It can take a day or even two for the doe's milk to come in, but it would be another reason for the kits moving around. If that seems to be the case, after examining them and comparing to the pictures in the thread, post again and we'll try to help.

Good luck!

~ Maggie

Thanks so much, I sure wish I would have known this before, I guess my Does litter was to large and some are not getting fed, I didn't know that I could feed them, did alot of research but didn't even know there's such thing as Rabbit milk replacement. I am down hearted today I have lost 3 so out of 10 born alive I have 5 left. I know it's a learning process but doesn't feel good right now.

If they need additional milk, you can make baby bunny milk pretty easily from things you probably already have on hand: August 1st, 2018 Hillside Farm Hawaii News and Bunny Gossip: Gender Change and bottle feeding

If you don't want to use the link, the recipe is:
1 cup of 2% milk
1 egg yolk or a whole egg
1 Tbsp powdered milk
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. bone meal

Warm it before feeding them and we use an eye dropper. It's really important not to get the milk up their nose or they will drown.

It's also useful to breed several does at the same time so if one has too many, you can foster some of the extra ones to another doe. Bunnies can't count and don't seem to care which babies they feed.

Thanks so much, I sure wish I would have known this before, I guess my Does litter was to large and some are not getting fed, I didn't know that I could feed them, did alot of research but didn't even know there's such thing as Rabbit milk replacement. I am down hearted today I have lost 3 so out of 10 born alive I have 5 left. I know it's a learning process but doesn't feel good right now.
Your doe will likely be more successful next litter. Many first time does lose part or all of their first litter. I remember the first kit I lost -- I felt terrible. It had been dragged out of the box on momma's teat when she finished nursing and got chilled on the wire cage floor. But as you said, it is a learning process, and in time you will be able to accept occasional losses more easily. This isn't the doe's fault and it isn't your fault either.

the recipe I use to feed baby bunnies is

I cup goat milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp honey. Very simple and easy to make. I make one cup at a time.

Thanks everyone for your help I have 4 kits left strong and healthy, I will post pictures.
But I have another question the kits are getting out of the nest box should I take it out? Thank ya'll so much I am really happy to be apart of this group

Back