Just finished my first cage.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny.

I have been annoying everyone here for past few months about building my own cages. But the day came. After numerous attempts to find proper wire, I had luck today. So, I was so excited to start building new cages for my lil buns. And I did.

I took me 3 hours to build one cage, two more to go. Only problem is, my dad, who did the math (I'm 18, btw), forgot about doors, so I have to get some additional wire and make doors.

The cage differes from my original idea of 120 x 60 x 45. We made them 118 x 59 x 42, but I believe it's still plenty of space.

Photos will be up tomorrow,but it was stronger then me. I had to report this.

-Marko

Congratulations on your first cage! I did my first a few weeks ago and I know the sense of accomplishment you feel when it's done! Don't worry about the doors, they're the last to be done anyway. Cage virgin no more!

Good job! Looking foward to seeing the photos!

:congratulations: :fireworks1: :troll: :bananadance: :bananadance2: :mbounce: You guys are giving me the courage to try...for now I wait on D.H....but I am feeling the urge to build that grow out pen I need like two weeks ago...... :evil:

:bouncy: Whoo-hoo!!! :bouncy:

I'm so glad you finally found some wire!!!

:congratulations:

RustyPocket":1r2jj29w said:
I have been annoying everyone here for past few months about building my own cages.

Hah! As if! You will have to try harder than that to "annoy" us...

RustyPocket":1r2jj29w said:
Photos will be up tomorrow

...although you are getting close by teasing us with no pics as of yet. Better make sure to post them tomorrow! :gettowork:

EnglishSpot":1ezinyn0 said:
Hey, it's tomorrow!!! Where are those pictures????

6 hours of work more and all of the cages are done. Well, not really. I have to get door mesh.

Here's comparison of Rubin's current hutch and new cage. I'm sure he's gonna appreciate it.

The first trial preformed by Fawn. It did sag a bit, bu she is by far the biggest rabbit that my end up living inside plus the rach will give some support.

Now, next milestone is finding materials for the rack and building it. Hopefully it doesn't take as much as this took.

Only one more question; how would you do doors? I originaly planned one door in the middle, but I find some DIY cages that have doors more to the side, and some even have left and right doors. I don't plan on deviding cages, so I guess I don't need 2, however, would appreciate your help.

Looks great! :clap2:

I would center the door and make it large enough that you can reach the far corners of the cage. Sometimes rabbits don't want to be caught, and you need to be able to reach them.

When you build the rack, I would design it so the cage can be hung, otherwise you will get urine and feces buildup where it rests on the support.

If you are worried about sagging you can use metal electrical conduit and thread it though the top of the cage just under the top wire- but I think if you just suspend it from multiple points (maybe every twelfth square of wire?) that it will be secure enough not to sag.

Back