Just "did: four guinea pigs!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planet Jr":3jw3ybxo said:
OK I am interested but having a hard time getting past the rodent part. :p

I find the presentation kind of disturbing, since they are usually served whole, head on, at least in Peru. :roll:

I think I will quarter mine (if and/or when I try it) and probably shred the meat off the bone and serve as tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. That's what we did at first with the rabbits too. :)

Had a bit of a fail of oil, used sunflower instead of grape seed, so they didn't get properly crisp. :(

The meat is a sweet, dark meat and my mum LOVED it!

I found the skin a bit much really, more like simmered pigs feet than chicken skin but I think that was the oils fault rather than the g pigs. If it had gone crispy it would have made a great difference.

Will cook it again for sure, it REALLY is filling.

But my little pet ones were just too little, little bones, little amounts of meat. Shall cut out the ribs and back bone when I do them again to make them easier to eat but the plan is to get rid of all this batch and get the bigger meat ones.

Once I learn to cook them, and they will take their own special way, we will eat lots of them.

So yeh, I am happy with the way it turned out! :D

GBov":2pnd7tbf said:

That sounds good! :dinner:

GBov":2pnd7tbf said:
the plan is to get rid of all this batch and get the bigger meat ones.

Where are you planning on finding them? There was an ad a while back on CL for a large Gpig, and I wondered at the time if he was the Peruvian kind. Sadly, I just looked for the ad and couldn't find it.

There was a thread on here recently where someone mentioned that the meat ones are not as friendly and don't make good pets, so I would think they would be kind of hard to find since not many people here eat cuy.

MamaSheepdog":3p2qb9vq said:
GBov":3p2qb9vq said:

That sounds good! :dinner:

GBov":3p2qb9vq said:
the plan is to get rid of all this batch and get the bigger meat ones.

Where are you planning on finding them? There was an ad a while back on CL for a large Gpig, and I wondered at the time if he was the Peruvian kind. Sadly, I just looked for the ad and couldn't find it.

There was a thread on here recently where someone mentioned that the meat ones are not as friendly and don't make good pets, so I would think they would be kind of hard to find since not many people here eat cuy.

There is a breeder in Georgia who has the larger sized ones. Not the HUGE ones that use to be common in their native land but a third to half bigger than the pet ones.

If I can start bigger, I can breed for bigger again.

The person I talked to who free ranged g pigs in his back yard was really on to something. He had privacy fence with hot wire top and bottom to keep out the bad guys and lots of cover for protection from bird attack. Said he never had to mow and just caught one or two for dinner when he fancied some.

I think a quarter to half acre mixed grass and shrubs, fenced well, might be a great way to raise them.

Back