Just an off the wall question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lildove

Reaction score
Could you breed a dwarf doe to a harlequin buck or is the buck to big???

I'm just wondering cause someone wants to breed there doe to my buck.

I would say way to big, the doe (if really a true dwarf) would be about half the size of the buck, little more or less. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Anyone actually try this type of scenario? What actually happens, no guesses or estimates...?

ChickiesnBunnies":1tes1rcg said:
Anyone actually try this type of scenario? What actually happens, no guesses or estimates...?

Good question. Large dogs often breed small ones and the bitches deliver without issue. We know a group of Dach-a-dors, the dam is a mini Dachsund (not super small though) and the sire was a lab. Full size horses are often bred to ponies also. I'm going to guess anyway, and say that you are just as likely to see problems with delivery of single kits or small litters as you are with a normal sized litter of mixed parentage rabbits. Personally, I would err on the safe side and breed a small buck to a large doe though.

lildove":1tes1rcg said:
Wouldnt the buck being bred to the doe kill the babies cause he is to big?

Probably not. There might be vaginal tearing if the doe is a maiden, but a newborn kit is much bigger than the most well endowed buck by a long shot, no matter how much he brags at the sports bar!

here is my experience with both rabbits and dogs :)

I bred my smaller mini rex doe, barely 3 pounds to my larger mini rex buck 4.5 pounds. She gave birth to 7 kits, all died except for 1. She had a partial prolapsed uterus. I dont know if it was because she was a first time mom and one of the kits got stuck or if it was because of the bigger buck. She did recover and raised the single kit just fine (maybe a little too fine) I do currently have her bred to a smaller buck. We will see if it was just a problem with size difference or if she is just not going to a good doe to breed period.

I have also bred my small sheltie to a male that was 4 inches bigger than her. She had a very hard delivery and even though she had 5 pups with him (she had 4 pups prior) they were bigger than her other litter she also bled alot! So I will not be breeding her to that stud ever again, I dont want to risk it.

I dont know if you can see but this is a pic of what is soppose to be a dwarf...

Attachments

• IMG953449.jpg
    IMG953449.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG954407.jpg
    IMG954407.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 796
LOL she is not so "dwarf" A harlequin would probably be ok. How much does the Harli buck weigh? Also I find that sometimes the height of a dog has nothing to do with ease of birth, but the opening through the pelvis does. I had an under 12 in. JR easily give birth to 4 pups from a 14 in stud, while her 14 in. auntie had more problems passing them. Generally the pups or kits do not range all that much in birth weight unless in a singleton situation. The key is not to overfeed the mother while still pregnant, just keep her on normal pre-pregnancy feed and up the feed amount as her milk production increases.

I didnt think she was a dwarf.... I really dont know how much he weighs..

What breed is she then?<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 pm __________<br /><br />This is my male.....

Attachments

• 417160_10150652508957502_502837501_11090834_616918347_n.jpg
    417160_10150652508957502_502837501_11090834_616918347_n.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 781
  • 381818_10150596023797502_502837501_10904728_94910977_n.jpg
    381818_10150596023797502_502837501_10904728_94910977_n.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 781
Ah...doesn't look like the 2lb dwarfs I was thinking of lol. To that buck, she should be fine. She looks like a jersey wooly or angora cross of some kind...he looks like he might have some dutch behind him so I wouldn't worry about getting huge kits from him unless he's known to pass them before. I've seen some tiny guys be horrible and thru nothing but big ugly kids even bred to different does...so it can be a toss up and what exactly you'll get. You may end up with dutch marks or solid harlequins...depends on what that doe is hiding since she's a rew and rew can hide any thing.

Ive breed him to my New Zealand and they had some small babies... So I was just wondering so that The doe dont get hurt...

They are actullay thinking about giving me the doe. So probley Friday I will end up with a better pic of her..

__________ Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:35 pm __________

SMR":2tby16xs said:
Ah...doesn't look like the 2lb dwarfs I was thinking of lol. To that buck, she should be fine. She looks like a jersey wooly or angora cross of some kind...he looks like he might have some dutch behind him so I wouldn't worry about getting huge kits from him unless he's known to pass them before. I've seen some tiny guys be horrible and thru nothing but big ugly kids even bred to different does...so it can be a toss up and what exactly you'll get. You may end up with dutch marks or solid harlequins...depends on what that doe is hiding since she's a rew and rew can hide any thing.

So she might not even have any dwarf in her....

Back