Just a quick question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
At what age do you have to stop showing a rabbit? Because Seniors are just Over 6 months but do you have to stop showing them at a year or can you keep on?

Yes, the bucks usually stay in prime condition longer as having babies makes a doe saggy and they often blow, or pluck :) , their coats with pregnancy and nursing.

But even bucks can get flabby and loose out to the the younger boys.

Wheels":3o0mhqpc said:
So- when do you decide to breed a show doe? And do they ever do ok at shows after having a litter?

The larger breeds are usually bred after the show career is over 8 mos to a year, and then they are retired. Very seldom do they go back into condition, well enough to show. Some like Rex lose their prime coats after a year, most are never shown after that.

Woolers, the higher points are about wool, not body, they can show until you want to stop, unless you have non molting English, one coat and they are done.

Small and dwarfs can show well after they have a litter, and sometimes are bred to make them look better for the table. This is why I got the Jersey Woolies primarily and the French Angoras. I have a 6 year old buck that will go on the table in May, and some does I want to get a litter out of before they return to the table around the same time.

Age limit on showing depends on the breed. Rex breeds have the shortest show career because their fur condition declines quickly. Breed with upper weight limits, especially small breeds,have short show careers because older rabbits tend to gain weight. Rabbits with thin body types like full arch breeds and Himalayans have shorter show careers because older ones get out of shape.
I showed my best Flemish well over she had litters. Up until she was 3 years old (when her bone condition started to decline), she would go to shows and still win BOB. She eventially had about 19 legs and 3 BIS.

Thanks - I'm trying to decide what my next move is with these mini lops. March is the soonest we could attend a show but they're 7-9 months old. I don't know if it is smarter to wait and show them first and then breed them or breed them now (soon) and show them and/ or the kits.. I think I should wait but I just don't know!

Wheels":m52g31bg said:
Thanks - I'm trying to decide what my next move is with these mini lops. March is the soonest we could attend a show but they're 7-9 months old. I don't know if it is smarter to wait and show them first and then breed them or breed them now (soon) and show them and/ or the kits.. I think I should wait but I just don't know!

With our Hollands we'd probably breed now, we actually bred 3 last week, and if they hold up as well as most of our's have in the past at that age they'd be put on the show table in March. You didn't say how many you had but I'd breed most of them, count on some misses and would be confident we'd have something to show in March.

Jackelope":2fkv70aa said:
Age limit on showing depends on the breed. Rex breeds have the shortest show career because their fur condition declines quickly. Breed with upper weight limits, especially small breeds,have short show careers because older rabbits tend to gain weight. Rabbits with thin body types like full arch breeds and Himalayans have shorter show careers because older ones get out of shape.
I showed my best Flemish well over she had litters. Up until she was 3 years old (when her bone condition started to decline), she would go to shows and still win BOB. She eventially had about 19 legs and 3 BIS.

Yeah the breed I'm gonna do is Silver Fox, MAYBE, just MAYBE I'll do New Zealand or Holland Lop.

My brother wants to do either Polish or English Spot.

How long do those breeds stay in show/can be shown?

Latest posts

Back