Just a neat thing I found out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I assume most of my Does have had 6 teats in total, but a while ago I bought a REW Doe that ended up having 7
Right now I have her two daughters that have their own Kits, I got one out and noticed she had 8! I checked her sister and she had 7 too, I also checked my Britannia Petite Doe but she only has 6
I'm guessing this is a genetic thing? It's really cool either way

I assume most of my Does have had 6 teats in total, but a while ago I bought a REW Doe that ended up having 7
Right now I have her two daughters that have their own Kits, I got one out and noticed she had 8! I checked her sister and she had 7 too, I also checked my Britannia Petite Doe but she only has 6
I'm guessing this is a genetic thing? It's really cool either way
That's really interesting. Most of my Satins I've looked at have eight, but some have ten. I haven't counted on the Polish or Holland Lops, but you can bet I will now. 😁

We consider anything between 8-10 teats normal in our Rex, and because they can have large litters, having fewer than 8 teats is a possible culling criteria here for a doe. (But I also think I read somewhere that small rabbit breeds may have fewer typically.) And yes, it is a genetic trait. It's actually a selection criteria in swine production for sow selection.

We consider anything between 8-10 teats normal in our Rex, and because they can have large litters, having fewer than 8 teats is a possible culling criteria here for a doe. (But I also think I read somewhere that small rabbit breeds may have fewer typically.) And yes, it is a genetic trait. It's actually a selection criteria in swine production for sow selection.
Boar selection too actually since while some people may be as "useless as teats on a boar hog" they do in fact have teats and they pass their teat genetics down to their daughters.

Latest posts

Back