June guinea pups - litter 2 came early

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I cleaned the cage yesterday and said Kuro has got to have them in the next 24hrs. They were practically crammed between her hips already. I just checked after getting home and there are wet pups. She might have one more in there.

AAAWWW..look at the little babies.. :lovers: I do not want guinea pigs,I do not want guinea pigs, I do not want guinea pigs oh man.... :roll:

Kuro is the shiny red and black. No white. Hey wait a minute... the boar I have in colony right now has no white either. You can't make white from no white. They must be the offspring of the boar I put down for health problems. Didn't think any managed to get bred but he must have done it right before I swapped him with the lemon agouti boar. This could be interesting.

katiebear":3kh3r967 said:
AAAWWW..look at the little babies.. :lovers: I do not want guinea pigs,I do not want guinea pigs, I do not want guinea pigs oh man.... :roll:

I already lost that battle.

I can justify it slightly because there is no one in my small city raising or selling guinea pigs right now, and our only pet store closed a few years ago.

I think, I'd get less people looking at rabbits as pets for their toddlers if I had a few GPs to offer.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. :lol:

I've actually been selling pigs so well I haven't had any to grow to butchering size. :lol:

OK, so I have been wanting to ask, just haven't had the nerve. Why raise GPs? I have only ever known them as pets... what other purpose for them? Sounds like meat maybe? (Totally an innocent newbie question, please be nice :egghatch: )

Guinea pigs can be more efficient meat animals than rabbits. The average ones in the US aren't as useful since they were bred down to their 2-3lb size. The cuy that are raised in peru for meat still can be 2-3lbs at 8weeks and 5+lbs total. People are working to make larger guinea pigs and to import and spread cuy for breeding as well. Right now their still useful because they can grow just as fast on random forages out of the yard and garden filled in with some hay. You don't have to provide the protein levels you do rabbits and protein is the most expensive part of feed. You also don't have to use much if any processed foods like pellets. They might even grow bigger and faster without grains.

It looks like Kuro has stopped at 3. They could use groomed a little more but otherwise are healthy and active. 1 golden agouti, 1 cream and white (I think), and a golden agouti based roan who's black butt is confusing me. I have a roan! I thought I had no luck of roan when Mazeru just kept having health problems and didn't appear to have bred anything.

heritage":ycny85o8 said:
Thank you akane! Interesting to know... I really had no idea that GPs were meat animals as well! As if I need another "project" :shock:

My husband has convinced himself they will taste like squirrel. :p

And, with this in mind, he INSISTS we raise some.

Now, I have no intention of eating piggies I can sell as pets, but... It's nice to know that there is a backup use for anyone who doesn't display good genetics, or if the GP market just isn't what I'd hope it to be.

Zass":sm3wrnn3 said:
heritage":sm3wrnn3 said:
Thank you akane! Interesting to know... I really had no idea that GPs were meat animals as well! As if I need another "project" :shock:

My husband has convinced himself they will taste like squirrel. :p

And, with this in mind, he INSISTS we raise some.

Now, I have no intention of eating piggies I can sell as pets, but... It's nice to know that there is a backup use for anyone who doesn't display good genetics, or if the GP market just isn't what I'd hope it to be.

Hmmm... I still haven't acquired the taste for squirrel (even after trying different ways of cooking them this past year) - I'm convinced I'm just doing something wrong :?

heritage":1wbj6pms said:
Hmmm... I still haven't acquired the taste for squirrel (even after trying different ways of cooking them this past year) - I'm convinced I'm just doing something wrong :?

You must be, as squirrel are delicious. :D

The best use IMO is in the form of bone stock or meat and gravy, as they have a rich taste that is suitable for many southern-style recipes.

The only thing keeping me from raising them right now is the space factor. I have every intention of getting a cuy trio when I can, I want another in home protein source for the dogs and I'm willing to bet my reptile clients would go for it too

Zass":wavz7mqs said:
heritage":wavz7mqs said:

You must be, as squirrel are delicious. :D

The best use IMO is in the form of bone stock or meat and gravy, as they have a rich taste that is suitable for many southern-style recipes.

I think it's because I can taste the smell they have when butchering them, if that makes sense. Rabbit and chicken have a similar smell, but I don't taste it once it's cooked. I'm pretty sure that's my hang up...

heritage":9vhs4zw8 said:
I think it's because I can taste the smell they have when butchering them, if that makes sense. Rabbit and chicken have a similar smell, but I don't taste it once it's cooked. I'm pretty sure that's my hang up...

That makes perfect sense to me.
There is a scent in the fur that doesn't totally disappear when it's cooked.
It took me a while to get used to most animals, where people I fed them to, who hadn't been the ones doing the butchering, didn't seem to have a problem.

Rabbits have such a clean smell, I think it's easier to get past than poultry, squirrel, or some other game animals.

Cuy is the opposite of rabbit as a very fatty and rich meat. It is most commonly compared to duck. Pretty much everyone has a different experience eating it even if it appeared to be prepared the same. Some say fried it's way too greasy and some report it's the most flavorful, moist meat they've eaten. Some say it's stringy roasted and some say it was a nice rich meat they felt full from surprisingly fast. I don't know if this is preparation/cooking skill or the stock being used. Kind of like we have fryers and roasters in rabbits due to the differences as they age. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:52 am __________ <br /><br /> Just moved one from the colony to the nursery. I say 3-5 days until guinea pig explosion so we'll go with 4. Any guesses?

That was a pointless bet. :lol: Someone wanted to know if I could hear teeth grinding yet so I went to check and instead I have these.

1 black, 1 black roan (yay!), and 1 white crested red.

Latest posts

Back