Jersey Wooly Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
http://imgur.com/ltWH7PJ

Here's the dealio. I've been offered this buck for $40. Breeder thought he was a black otter, but I'm thinking seal or sable marten. Thoughts on color? Also on quality? He looks pretty good to me, but I'm just starting out in the breed and would love some help deciding on the best buck to buy.

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

Really? Is it the wool that makes him seem so much lighter than my MR black buck was? Because Basil was blue-black he was so dark. I mean, even this JW's face makes me think shaded. -shrugs-

A clear defined jaw marking and that inner ear says otter to me. It's one of my favourite patterns, I've got four or five in my herd

Oooh. Do you know what a marten is? It's an otter, just that's not C. cchd (chinchilla) or cchl (seal or sable) makes a marten, but otherwise they're genetically identical. Person on a Jersey Wooly Facebook group said he's definitely sable marten.

Which is good, because that's what I was hoping for. Showable and shaded, which is the "grouping" of varieties I want to try for (see also: sable point and tort).

Sable marten (black otter with one shaded and one himi or REW gene) or because he is so dark a seal marten (black otter with two shaded genes)

Any colour history on the parents or siblings of this guy? If there were any himilayan or REW in the immediate family the chances are better for a sable marten instead of seal :)

It's hard to say on type at the angle the picture is taken, but he does look like a sable silver martin to me. Sometimes shaded colors are tricky just because sometimes you have to let them molt out to see the true color.

From his head, I do appreciate the thickness of his ear and how open they are. What are their measurements?

I'd like to see more curvature to the skill, but it's hard to tell a few things from the angle.

I recommend a full side, front, and back shot of this rabbit properly posed :)

Marten for sure.

How old is he?

The head should be more blocky, body posed in a slightly more upright position. He looks undercut from that angle, but the shoulder looks short and body looks compact.

Back