jerky

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
I really don't enjoy eating the flaps of skin/tissue from around the abdomen (that get tough). It turns out with just a few snips of the scisors they make the perfect thin, flat jerky :)
I'm still in search of the perfect marinade, but the texture of the jerky after 12 hours in the dehydrator was perfect. The bonus? My kids liked it... a lot. The down side? You only get 2 pieces of jerky per rabbit.
I'm really enjoying this dehydrator :)

I was wondering what use that would be aside from cat treats. Does make good treats though.

Jerky for the side flaps was my plan too. I figure for every 10 rabbits you butcher, you get 20 pieces. drop them all in a bag together and after a few batches, we should have plenty of jerky.

It was good! Iggysbabysitter brought me a piece to try. Great snack for low-carb diets! I must make some, but my dehydrator isn't the best (an old Ronco) so I'm not sure I'd trust it for meat. Might use the oven instead.

I don't mind sharing my new dehydrator, MaggieJ... I don't need to use it often.
Interested in fruit leather? The apples from your property were great! Next is apple and pumpkin (tastes like pumpkin pie)... and apple & plum.

The apples from your property were great!

Lots more still here if you want them. :)

We'll never use them all and they don't keep well. And now I'm back on low-carb, no more apples for me. :(

I'm thinking that a homemade smoker should work just fine for jerky... and add a nice smokey flavour as well. Good project once the garden is finished.

Hmm. moving boxes, metal hangers, pie plate full of wet wood chips... and a hot plate (I can't find many plans that don't use a hot plate...

Latest posts

Back