J-Clip unrolling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TriumphTriple":3u0df2rp said:
I use my J Clip pliers to remove them and it is really easy. There is 2 hooks on the bottom and one on top. I just turn the pliers sideways and it put one of the hooks close as possible to the rolled j clip. The other hook goes into the bottom, and squeeze. It forces it open and doesn't hurt the cage at all.

I do this as well. The style of pliers you posted are what we consider the "cheap" version- not sure about your particular ones, but mine are constructed of metal that is only about 1/8" thick, so the handles are very uncomfortable to use when building multiple cages. I also have higher quality ones with round handle, but the crimping part is totally different.

I think everyone should have both styles if they plan on building their own cages. The "cheapo" ones are great for places that are a tight fit.

Pics of both styles I have can be seen here:

post222966.html#p222966

EnglishSpot":1kfq5suh said:
Can unrolled, previously used J-clips be safely used again? Or should more just be purchased?

I reused about 20 on my first cage. They all have held up well and I expect they are fine. But after thinking about it, the time it took to unroll, reshape and reuse each clip it was a total waste of time. They aren't expensive at all - I get about 2lbs for around $3. So since that time I just use new ones and don't waste the time trying to save $.001.

:D

Yeah they are the cheapo ones. Worked for me though. Built 8 cages. Not at all ergonomic though, my hands hurt after building 3 cages.

I didn't ever reuse the removed clips. They are cheap enough not to have to struggle to reuse.

EnglishSpot":1rvz6fuy said:
How the heck to I unroll j-clips on a cage to replace the floor?!?!

This method is the easiest I've found, and it's fairly quick. What I'm holding
in my hand is an "awl". Insert the point under the edge of the J-clip, then
tap it slightly with a hammer. The clip will open enough that you can "twist"
the awl and expand the clip enough that it will easily come off.
Slope-FrontedCages001_zpsea8424e8.jpg

Here's a closer look at the procedure. Hope this helps.
Slope-FrontedCages002_zps57e1e093.jpg

Latest posts

Back