I've got to stop free feeding! But, how much...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
do they really need? :oops:

I've got Hollands that are juniors, seniors, pregnant and nursing. Same for my Dwarfs. I know the moms with babies eating pellets need to be free fed but I'm assuming the others do not. I also have a senior Flemish buck and a 5 month old Flemish doe. Oh, and one senior mini rex doe. I was thinking of putting measuring cups in the feed bin for the kids to use when they feed, so they always get the right amounts. Thanks in advance for your input! :)

First you need to know how much the kids have been giving them. Is there ever anything left or do the rabbits eat it all? Are the rabbits getting just pellets or perhaps hay and greens as well?

It's always a trial and error thing to try to cut back on feed. I always figure that if they are getting hay as well as pellets that it is safe to cut back on the pellets by about 1/4 and let them fill up on hay if they want to. Try it for a few days and see how they react.

Well, we've pretty much been keeping food in their j feeders at all times. And they are on pellets with a pinch of rolled oats every evening. I don't have regular access to hay.

For anything not raising a litter I like to see empty feeders between meals.
For my Rex, they get around 8 oz daily for dry does or bucks. When I had the Florida Whites they got about 6 oz. Everybunny gets cut back by the amount of feed left over at the next feeding. Grow outs older than 14-16 weeks get the same ration as bucks & dry does, under 14 weeks they're free fed

Our Lionheads get 3 oz, which when I weighed it out on my scale is 1 cup. (We feed 1 oz per pound of rabbit and unlimited hay)

Latest posts

Back