It's Official! I am an idiot.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Ok, so I am leaning over, cutting a piece of wire from near the inside of the roll... :yes:

can you see where this is going?..... :secret:

I am so excited to be almost done cutting this with my poor, sore hands.... :clap:

wait for it..... :tomato:

I cut the last one with a sense of triumph... :hobbyhors...which is quickly replaced by shock as the end of the wire flies up and impales me in the forehead, directly over my left eye! :stars: :axe:

Yeah...now ask me if I was wearing safety glasses.. :shrug: ..of course not! I am lucky to still have my eye! :nono:

I hollered and clutched my forehead, my seven year old comes running over, full of concern, and I put my other hand out and say....... :hand:

"Get away from me!" :badmood: Poor kid, I did not mean to say that but I was so shocked and I don't like to be touched when I am hurt. I later hugged him and apologized. :kissy:

I pulled my hand away to a palm full of blood...now I am thinking, "how big of a gash did I put in my forehead?" I put my hand back and went to the bathroom to assess the damage... :doc:

Not too bad, once all the blood is cleaned off...just a neat little puncture wound...but it bled like a stuck pig! :1pig: I cleaned it with alcohol and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Now I am thinking....when did I last have a tetanus shot?.... :shrug:

you made my poor sick hubby shake his head at you. Oh my. I am SO glad you didn't poke your eye out. :) Next time...BE MORE CAREFUL! :)

Making Cages can be a very exciting and DANGEROUS experience!
DO not do that again! In the future, tie the roll closed beyond where you are cutting
and you will prevent that "Quick Release" from happening. I am glad you were not badly hurt.
SAFETY FIRST! :doc:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Oh No! So glad to know you werent seriously hurt, but geeesh, next time wear your safety googles lil' missy!

ottersatin":33hba6yr said:
Making Cages can be a very exciting and DANGEROUS experience!
DO not do that again! In the future, tie the roll closed beyond where you are cutting
and you will prevent that "Quick Release" from happening. I am glad you were not badly hurt.
SAFETY FIRST! :doc:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
You are quite right, I should have been more careful... :oops: ...but it was the LOOSE end that hit me, I HAD tied the rest closed. :(

__________ Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 pm __________

Pickles":33hba6yr said:
Oh No! So glad to know you werent seriously hurt, but geeesh, next time wear your safety googles lil' missy!

I actually HAD been wearing them...they were still up on top of my head where I pushed them up to get a drink...not really protecting a whole lot up there. :oops:

__________ Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 pm __________

ladysown":33hba6yr said:
you made my poor sick hubby shake his head at you. Oh my. I am SO glad you didn't poke your eye out. :) Next time...BE MORE CAREFUL! :)

:oops: :oops: Yes Ma'am... :oops: :oops: Believe you me, I am well and thoroughly chastised. I sure don't want to try THAT again.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm __________<br /><br />
Brody":33hba6yr said:
Oh Lord - so glad you are ok and it didn't actually hit your eye :)

You and me both!

I don't usually tie the wire shut. I unroll it in the grass and stand on it and cut between my feet. Sometimes if it is a really long piece, I will make my kids be paperweights, too. They have lots of practice, they help me fold tarps and bird netting and straighten fabric for pattern cutting--When I say "stand on that corner!" they are really good at doing just that. :)

garnetmoth":c8obhzwp said:
ouch. glad it wasnt a bad injury. LOVE the pictorial story tho.

Well, I figured that I just HAD to get something out of the story (besides the obvious moral :) ) and it might as well be a chuckle or two! (along with a few well deserved head shakes... :roll: )<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm __________<br /><br />
eco2pia":c8obhzwp said:
I don't usually tie the wire shut. I unroll it in the grass and stand on it and cut between my feet. Sometimes if it is a really long piece, I will make my kids be paperweights, too. They have lots of practice, they help me fold tarps and bird netting and straighten fabric for pattern cutting--When I say "stand on that corner!" they are really good at doing just that. :)

I guess that is what I get for trying to be TOO self sufficient!:lol: I made the kids stay clear of the wire and my hubs had to work late tonight. I DID figure out that if I turn the roll over it is safer to cut that way.

Welcome to the club....
I was lucky with that one, I was cutting anti curve and it just got my shoe (actually foam cogs, yes in the snow at below freezing, and NO I wasn't wearing socks)
Hurt, but at least the foam rubber got the worst of the sharp stuff.

But I do have a nice scar on my arm where it got in the way of those.

Jack":3olxc684 said:
Welcome to the club....
I was luck in the on, I was cutting anti curve and it just got my shoe (actually foam cogs, yes in the snow at below freezing, and NO I wasn't wearing socks)
Hurt, but at least the foam rubber got the worst of the sharp stuff.

But I do have a nice scar on my arm where it got in the way of those.

Oooh, ouch! :x Yes, that sounds nasty...now all I need are some rabbit scratches and a bite or two and I will be well and truly initiated! :lol:

Ok two hot tips
don't spook a baby and TRIM THEIR NAILS AS SOON AS YOU CAN (yes, they are little razors)

when posing a rabbit, make sure the web of your thumb isn't right in front of its mouth as you stack it.

Jack":5fxd1uhl said:
Ok two hot tips
don't spook a baby and TRIM THEIR NAILS AS SOON AS YOU CAN (yes, they are little razors)

when posing a rabbit, make sure the web of your thumb isn't right in front of its mouth as you stack it.

oh, that made me cringe just thinking about it. :x Duly noted.... :cowboy:

Seems like I leave a little blood on every job I do. My grampaw used to call that,"Signing your work".I doubt you have to worry about tetanus with a clean roll of wire. It's the wire in the used cages you have to worry about.

Well, I thought about that too...but since I have not had a tetanus shot in about 7 years, I might as well go ahead and get one. I work for the city and can just go the the Health Dept and get it free. Plus, with it being a puncture wound I figure better safe than sorry. I think I have more than "signed" these cages...they look like one of those logo purses with the repeating name ALL OVER IT! LOL

tetnus shot is good for 10 years according to my doctor but if I was you I'd get it done too I think ;)

Brody":jkwux4k8 said:
tetnus shot is good for 10 years according to my doctor but if I was you I'd get it done too I think ;)

Well, they are supposed to be good for 10 years but recently they are discovering that the immunity actually wanes as it get closer to the 10 yr mark, and you are really only guaranteed 100% immunity for about 5-7 yrs. At least, that is what all the docs I used to work with said...I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

I'm so glad you did not get it in the eye Shannon.
My dad ALMOST got a wire in his eye once, I think he was stringing some wire for a fence, and when he cut it, wham, right above his eye.

Be more careful next time, and wear your glasses over your eyes not the top of your head. :lol:

A mother's second set of eyes are in the BACK of her head, dearie--- Thankfully, the wire didn't know that. yes-- lase be more carefull-- Service rabbits are no longer acceptable per the federal gov'mint, and Guide dogs usually are not released to homes with lots of other animals...

Why am I having flashbacks of my grandma in the doorway, hand on hip, and shaking a finger from her other hand at me while yelling "it's only funny till someone loses an eye!" :lol:

I got a good laugh out of your very vivid post, but I sure am glad you're ok. It could have gone in a much worse direction. I'm sure you also learned a very valuable lesson from this, and will never repeat the mistake. :D

Latest posts

Back