Is this even possible?!?!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviodont

Reaction score
I have a NZ doe who is now 4 months old. Exactly 30 days ago, I added a NZ buck who is now 3.5 months old. They have never been in each other’s cages which are adjacent.

This morning, I go out to check on my rabbits and she has pulled fur. She is a bit of a looney and it has been a brutal summer so far, so I was thinking maybe she is trying to cool off. Then I come out mid-afternoon and she has a hay mustache.

30 days ago, he was 2.5 months, she 3 months

The cages have 1x2 openings and the cages are 1/2” apart. Is that even possible?!?!?

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
They can breed incredibly early, so yeah
It can just be dangerous and shouldn't be done purposely

If the Doe backed up into his wall enough it's definitely possible

They can breed incredibly early, so yeah
It can just be dangerous and shouldn't be done purposely

If the Doe backed up into his wall enough it's definitely possible
I knew they could breed early, just not through the cages. I cannot imagine the geometry of the contortion that would have been necessary.

I put the nest box in yesterday afternoon after I saw this, but she does not seem to interested in it. When I just woke up this morning, she had done nothing with it. No more hair was to be noticed

EDIT to add:
I had standard Rexes for 4 years with the buck kept in the middle cage. Never had this happen before. So strange

I knew they could breed early, just not through the cages. I cannot imagine the geometry of the contortion that would have been necessary.

I put the nest box in yesterday afternoon after I saw this, but she does not seem to interested in it. When I just woke up this morning, she had done nothing with it. No more hair was to be noticed

EDIT to add:
I had standard Rexes for 4 years with the buck kept in the middle cage. Never had this happen before. So strange
Yeah, it seems rare but can happen. A lady I follow on Facebook recently had a doe that she bred, then palpated and showed pregnant, then ended up being over a week late which is super not normal for her lines. The kits came out non furred, looking normal term and in colors that couldn't have been possible with the buck that she bred her to. She had temporarily set that doe in a travel cage next to a buck about a week after she was bred (and apparently didn't take) while she did something to the cages and apparently they had some fun while they were next to each other.

Let’s hope! I would feel horrible if I let this happen to her when she was only 3 months old.
Th earliest I've had it happen was 3.5 months when I left a doe in with a buck too long. But that was a small breed (Netherland Dwarf) and larger breeds take longer to mature. Even with Dutch - known to mature very fast - the earliest I've known a doe get pregnant was 5 months.

I would assume it's just a false pregnancy, quite normal.

I do not think "breeding through wire" is a thing, although there are stories quite often kids or other persons had access to the rabbits, or there were other, more likely explanations.

The youngest doeling I had getting accidentially pregnant was about 14 weeks, ca. 8-10lbs mixes, smaller breeds mature faster. I only noticed when there were suddenly 10 rabbits instead of 5 hopping around in that hutch.

It's possible - but just as likely (if not more likely) is that she's feeling ready to breed and is making a nest because she's broody.
I had this happen with a couple young does this spring...my first experience with randy fur pulling! They even developed mammaries you could feel. Offered nest boxes....alas. no babies.

It was a relief because the only possible baby daddy would have been a wild cottontail!

Back