Is this a good sign? Introducing 2 females.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petlover500

Reaction score
So I just got a new ND doe, and want to house her with my other ND doe. They are only a few months apart. Tink is the new one, (Thumbe-)Lina is the other.
I have them in this big arena thing, probably 12 ft x 8 ft

So far what they have done:
- Tink stays still in one spot, totally chill.
- Lina comes up to her, sniffs her, bounds up high in thr air, and runs off.
- Tink's ears stay alert, as well as Lina's. They don't chase or attack each other.
Its been about 20-30 minuets since I have put them together, and other than Lina coming up to Tink 4 times and doing the same thing over again, thats all they have done.
They are staying away from each other, on opposite sides of the pen, just hanging out.
Is this good? Do you think they will make a good pair to house together?
I don't want to rush things, But its pouring rain and we are outside. I put a tarp over the pen (its about 6ft tall. Its a old dog kennel) but the rain is still starting to get my bunnies wet. I dont want them to be wet and cold. :bunnyhop:

:lilbunny: -Pl <br /><br /> __________ Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> I ended up putting them in a cage together.
They seem to be doing fine... The cage is large and there is a box with a lid that they jump on. Lina is on the box right now, and Tink is chilling in the nest box.

I watched them for a while, now I will just check on them every once in a while... Hopefully they dont kill each other!!

Impossible to tell.
Does that have been raised together and get along can suddenly become arch enemies.
They may be behaving moderately until they get comfortable... They may be fine, but more likely they will come to blows eventually.
I'm trying to keep some unrelated does together this winter, but they were paired up just after weaning.
We'll see how it goes!
Good luck!

It's too late now, but in the future when you bring home a new rabbit, you really should consider a 30 day quarantine to insure it doesn't get Ill and/or get your other buns ill.

And I have to say, putting two buns together in one cage after an hour or so...not something I would do. The chance for serious injury is just too great, in my opinion.

I hope it all works out for you.

Everything is good so far :)

Thanks for your opinion!
I bought the rabbit from someone I trust, so I didn't think there was anything to worry about :)

It's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of science. Let me try to explain - there are multiple strains of pasturella, a serious rabbit disease, out there. Virtually all rabbits have a strain of it, they just live with it. Here's the problem- say your Lina has strain A- she handles it fine with no illness. Now say Tink has strain B and handles it fine. You put those two buns together and there is no guarantee that either can handle the other's strain without getting sick. And there s no way to know, which is why quarantine is recommended. It has nothing to do with the breeder, it is about protecting your stock.

What if you have a doe with strain A that you breed to a buck with strain B?
Does it take a certain amount of time to catch the different strain, or?

The quarantine period is usually when you find out if one or more are going to get sick. After 30 days alone in quarantine, I move new buns to their regular cage and put them into my breeding program as they are ready.

I know from previous posts you were considering better stock, you need to be sure and ask the people you buy from IF they house theirs like you intend to. Rabbits that are bred and raised solitary often do not adapt to colony style living well. You can end up with severely injured or dead rabbits quickly, before you can do any thing to stop it. I keep every one separated except for juniors (had a small group of lions together but I've since sold all but 1; they did OK for about a year together but I also understood I could come out to hurt rabbits or even dead ones at any time). Rabbits that are born into a colony setting are more likely to do better in groups it seems, all the babies born in the lion group grew up to be OK (even the young bucks got along with the older buck without issues). Putting a group together usually takes much more time, you house them next to each other and then on neutral territory introduce them. Less likely fighting to break out and can more easily break up any fights that do happen. The doe in the cage first already has her scent on it, its "her" space, and she could become very quickly protective. You'll have to keep a close eye on them, even if you think they are doing OK.

Like already suggested, be sure and quarantine next time. All it takes is ONE rabbit to wipe out your entire stock, ideally 30 but if its not possible at least 24 hours under very close watch. Trusted source or not, makes no difference. It is good husbandry to quarantine to insure the health and safety of the rabbits already there. It worries me, being moved straight from one house to anther without any transition time noted. GI upset leading to severe illness or even death can happen when a rabbit is stressed too much. Did you get any transition food or notes on how she was cared for before to help make her transition easier? Rabbits can be quite fickle and fragile creatures, not showing any sign of issue until they are death's door unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply!

They have been doing ok still.... no fighting or anything.
I am keeping close watch on them anyways.
No signs of aggression either... both bunnies are as calm as can be, and I see no signs of stress either. They both are just totally chilling :)

Definitely quarantine. I bought a beautiful Californian from a guy, then went back a couple months later for another one. Came home with 2 rabbits from the same breeder... unknown to me (and supposedly him) one was sick and he spread it to the other californian plus one of my NZW does (I had to cull a whole litter of 5 week old kits... not the easiest thing to do) :evil: . I didn't know any different at the time. Well, I knew I should quarantine, but assumed since they were from the same place I didn't really have to be as strict. Sad thing is, it was my "son's" rabbit that I had to cull... he was beyond upset, but I didn't have much choice.

Aw, that is horrible :(
I will for sure quarantine next time!

Getting more info, I think that Thumbelina and Tink were already housed together at one point...? I got them from the same breeder, so I guess it would be possible that they have met before.

No blood has been shed yet! :p
I am giving them a little space away from each other now, so they can have some "alone time" and eat seperatley :)
Tink truly is the sweetest though! She lets Lina be the boss, no questions asked :p

Marinea":1f0wp0ao said:
It's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of science. Let me try to explain - there are multiple strains of pasturella, a serious rabbit disease, out there. Virtually all rabbits have a strain of it, they just live with it. Here's the problem- say your Lina has strain A- she handles it fine with no illness. Now say Tink has strain B and handles it fine. You put those two buns together and there is no guarantee that either can handle the other's strain without getting sick. And there s no way to know, which is why quarantine is recommended. It has nothing to do with the breeder, it is about protecting your stock.

Pardon me, but I don't get how quarantine would help in that rather special case - none of the rabbits would get sick, but still carry their strain after 3 weeks, right?

I once sold a doe to someone who told me that the last 2 does (from the same breeder) he bought had died some time after breeding them with his buck, didn't know anything about that stuff back then, but now I think that was such a case.

Imho quarantine is for all that stuff that has incubation time, you need to wait that out.

Ahm, chilled in corners? They're not in a stress freeze? Keep a close eye on the girls until they accept each other, eating together is imho a good sign. I wouldn't force them, give food in different places. It may take some time. Also, from my experience, dividers or boxes to get out of sight help.

Also be sure to carry on and only slowly change the bunnys diet if necessary.

Nope, they arent frozen with fear, its a relaxed chill. I know a scared/streesed rabbit when I see one, lol!

They were both eating in their litter box together this morning :D
I took that as a good sign :)

Preitler":1mbdtr8n said:
Marinea":1mbdtr8n said:

Pardon me, but I don't get how quarantine would help in that rather special case - none of the rabbits would get sick, but still carry their strain after 3 weeks, right?

I once sold a doe to someone who told me that the last 2 does (from the same breeder) he bought had died some time after breeding them with his buck, didn't know anything about that stuff back then, but now I think that was such a case.

Imho quarantine is for all that stuff that has incubation time, you need to wait that out.

Ahm, chilled in corners? They're not in a stress freeze? Keep a close eye on the girls until they accept each other, eating together is imho a good sign. I wouldn't force them, give food in different places. It may take some time. Also, from my experience, dividers or boxes to get out of sight help.

Also be sure to carry on and only slowly change the bunnys diet if necessary.

When you quarantine from a fresh move, the stress can trigger signs to show in sick rabbits. The quarantine period allows you to catch those and deal with the infected rabbit, granted it is not fool proof but it does help in those instances. It also allows you time to thoroughly check the new ones, handle them see if they tolerate normal activities or if some one has an aggressive streak that you don't want to bring in once they get comfy.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3o56jw7v said:
When you quarantine from a fresh move, the stress can trigger signs to show in sick rabbits. The quarantine period allows you to catch those and deal with the infected rabbit, granted it is not fool proof but it does help in those instances. It also allows you time to thoroughly check the new ones, handle them see if they tolerate normal activities or if some one has an aggressive streak that you don't want to bring in once they get comfy.
Tink is seriously the sweetest rabbit I have ever met :p WAY nicer than Lina :lol:

They are eating together and sharing a litter box just fine... But I am still keeping a close eye on em ;)

I know you are planning on breeding these two come spring. Keep in mind that they will both be new mothers, and you don't know what kind of mothers they will be. Since does tend to get hormonal when pregnant I would HIGHLY recommend separating them before breeding. (Definitely get another cage! It's always good to have extra space incase of a sick rabbit anyway.) ;)

Easy Ears":yy6gv51h said:
I know you are planning on breeding these two come spring. Keep in mind that they will both be new mothers, and you don't know what kind of mothers they will be. Since does tend to get hormonal when pregnant I would HIGHLY recommend separating them before breeding. (Definitely get another cage! It's always good to have extra space incase of a sick rabbit anyway.) ;)
I will be separating them as soon as possible. Either when daisy sells, or I get another cage :) ;)

Latest posts

Back