Is this a curly coat and what is the color?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
Five days old and I see this! Is this the beginnings of a curly coat?

And the color. Any guesses? It looks blue or grey. Mom is Sallander and dad is fawn but he also produces torte and frosty

b9b9bc7c186718bd2a6b91e2263abdf2.jpg

That looks like curly skin and not curly fur :)

I've seen this effect on my kits when the mother hasnt done a good job of cleaning off the residual amniotic fluid after birth - usually it happens on the kits with from larger litters

The colour looks the sable gene to me but a dark sallander is a possibilty as it is such a rare colour and there are very few references online to compare to

Time will tell - hopefully :roll:

Curly skin...funny! I will watch at it grows. There are others in the litter as well. I am excited about the colors of this litter. I have identified a couple torte and one fawn but the others are shades of white and grey blue so far. So exciting!

Dood":jl2vgql0 said:
That looks like curly skin and not curly fur :)

I've seen this effect on my kits when the mother hasnt done a good job of cleaning off the residual amniotic fluid after birth - usually it happens on the kits with from larger litters
Ahhhh... I've had this now and then on a kit, and wondered what caused it. :)

I think dood's right, since I've seen similar looking kits in the meat herd.
That appearance is most common to kits that didn't feed well the first few days.

The ones with curl genes looked similar, but different.

Attachments

• GEDC5988.JPG
    GEDC5988.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 296
Zass":1q6fvdov said:
I think dood's right, since I've seen similar looking kits in the meat herd.
That appearance is most common to kits that didn't feed well the first few days.

The ones with curl genes looked similar, but different.

Zass, does the one on the right have the curl genes?

Yeah. It was one of the curliest as a kit:

She didn't stay that way, but I never knew what her fully mature coat would look like, since she had heath problems.

Attachments

• GEDC7606.JPG
    GEDC7606.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 290
Back