Is she just too old for a colony?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Went in to check the rex colony and reached down to stroke Matron only to find she is a rack of bones! :shock:

It was an unexpected discovery as she is right in there at feeding time and doesnt seem to be pushed out of the way by the younger does so I thought she was fine.

When we bought her she was supposed to be five years old and she has been with us for almost a year so she is no spring chicken. Do old rabbits get thin even though they are eating alright?

Every body else is nice and rounded so I dont wnat to feed more into the colony so I have taken her out and put her in a cage but its sad to see her in a cage now instead of being groomed by the other rabbits.

A nice bit of salvage - a thrown away heavy plastic workshop shelf unit - sorted a shelf for her to rest on though so at least I dont have to worry about her hocks, they always get so bad on wire.

aww... maybe she just needs some vacation away-time? i know that 6-8yrs is general lifespan for breeding rabbits. if she has been in a colony and breeding alot then perhaps that might put her at the lower end of that.

ChickiesnBunnies":7pc47nes said:
I'd say she is ill or has some internal issues.

Aw hell! You have spoken my worst fear!

She is skin and bones but her belly is nice and round so I was wondering about a tumor or something like it. And her hind end is always wet but the colony has nice deep litter and the other rabbits are clean and dry.

Will check her today now she is in a cage and see how her poo looks and if her bum is dry or still wet.

ohiogoatgirl we got her as a finished 4H project so she had been bred once or twice and decided to take a chance on her breeding for us, even at her age. And when we got her I HATED HER! She was the first rabbit to ever bite me so she got no points in her favor other than her color and size but once she went into the colony talk about a change of heart, she is now a wonderful bunny, friendly and eager to be petted and loves to sit on feet. Such a love, just hated her life in a cage.

Hopefully with the solid shelf, a full feeder, hay and a nest cage to jump down into, there will be enough for her to do so she doesnt go mental from boordom again.

I might put Captain Rex in with her now that one of the younger does has a kit, give her some company and them a break.

Just checked on her and her poo looks nice and round and dry (she eats lots of hay) and her back end is dry but will keep an eye on it throughout the day.

I LOVE colonies but cages are sooooo much easier for checking on each rabbit each day, at least for me.

Worms eh? Hadnt thought of that!

Poor old girl, she has the face of a camel when she flops her ears over getting petted :lol:

siddsaysgimmie":axyw78zd said:
Could it be worms? I have heard that a bunny with worms will get skinny, but have a rounded tummy.

Yep, that's how worms show themselves in most animals :)

Zab":3judy48h said:
siddsaysgimmie":3judy48h said:
Could it be worms? I have heard that a bunny with worms will get skinny, but have a rounded tummy.

Yep, that's how worms show themselves in most animals :)

What does one use to worm rabbits? And what should I look for in the droppings to indicate worms? In puppies and kittens and what nots one can see the little blighters in the poo.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 pm __________<br /><br />She died this morning. Her breathing was a little bit heavier than usual last evening but she was not in distress so I decided to leave her be and put her down today or tomorrow.

The old girl took maters into her own paws and shuffled off this mortal coil peacefully in the small hours of the morning.

RIP Matron :(

MamaSheepdog":lfw4c8pc said:
GBov":lfw4c8pc said:
RIP Matron :(

Aww. :( Sorry GBov. At least she didn't suffer long.

Yeh, even to see she was breathing harder I had to look at her and then at the doe in the next cage and then back again so she wasnt hurting.

Its most sad because we dont have any offspring from her so she is now gone forever.

Sad that.

Latest posts

Back