Is she blue? Updated pic's

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniquilts

Reaction score

This is Cassie. I think she might be a blue VM but the reddish tint is making me uncertain. She has that tint through out her body, on her ears and a bit on her muzzle.I have a friend with a blue mini rex and he does not have this reddish tint, could she be something other than blue?

Blow into the coat. If the fur looks like there are rings, blue, red, blue, white skin, it's an opal.

lilac should be dove gray with a pinkish tint. That seems a bit more than pinkish. and since lilac is a self there would be no rings.

Thank you everyone I will be uploading picture of her fur when blown into<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 am __________<br /><br />

I am not seeing rings but maybe I am missing something?
Amy

Lilac should have the same color all the way down the hair shaft. What color is the belly?

she's not a blue, she's really not an opal either.

My guess is she's just one of those "off Colours" that you can't really say is anything. :)

ladysown":1ix4jagd said:
she's not a blue, she's really not an opal either.

My guess is she's just one of those "off Colours" that you can't really say is anything. :)

Yep.

Has she been living outside? Not an opal for sure. The blue eyes and vienna marks are throwing things off as well. She *could* just be sunburnt and about to molt her coat out.

She is definitely not an opal, so i agree with Devon's mom. A sunburned Blue VM
My friend has a Blue VM buck and he is sunburned, covered with a brownish glow just like your rabbit

Here he is

20a4g0w.jpg

An Opal vienna marked looks like this, she is the gr.daughter of the above buck btw

On another note.. i LOVE your rabbit, you don't happen to live in holland do you?
I breed with Vienna rabbits and yours is just gorgeous!

__________ Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 pm __________

I have a similar question on a mini lop color I've been getting. They are steel blue/grey and fade to sliver white at the skin, no rings. I was told from pics I took of them that they were opal but, no rings, so they arn't. The closest I could find was Silver Tipped Lilac steel. They were out of a GT Black steel buck and frosted does and had self black and chestnut littermates if that helps.

I kind of like that unique patten on your freinds buck, Disney.

ETA. After reading closer.... the mothers to my odd colored kits are litter mates. one is black frosted pearl, the other is blue(?) pointed with patchy rust tipping over her honches and back, similar to these rabbits, but on a white background!? From what I can tell this is unheard of in mini lops or else where and I havn't been able to find anyone who knows what color she is. I just call her mystery frosted lol.

rittert i understand your confusion with the steel gene, i just got my first steel kit and he gave me a headache trying to solve his genotype!
It has a discussion going on in the rabbitaddict boards but i don't think i'm allowed to post a link here.. so i'll just show you a picture of him so maybe you can see a resemblance?

He is a Gold Tipped Blue Steel, mother is a Bew and sire is a Rew.
He is also the full sibling to the Opal doe in the above post and the gr.son to the Blue VM buck.

The buck on the left, can you see the light yellowish ticking on his fur? His brother on the right doesn't have it
There was also an Opal kit in this litter with a white skin just like you mentioned.. i have no idea what that was, somebody told me it would molt out when he aged but i already sold him.

Blue self and Bue steel

Blue self > Blue steel > Opal

I have an option to buy one buck back after the 4-H season but not sure I will. I sold all of them that color so I'm not sure either. They were all gone by 8 weeks or so so it may be something easier to tell with age.

__________ Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm __________<br /><br />This is a picture of my doe with those markings. They don't show up in pictures so I had to edit the lighting ect. to get them to show. I don't think she's just smutty, it's a really weird color.

Thelmaedit.jpg

Latest posts

Back