Is RabbitTalk okay for a 10 yr old?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterMania

Reaction score
My ten year old son's doe is supposed to kindle this weekend. He wants to be a rabbit breeder and I'm wondering if RT is safe enough for him to post questions and read some of the old posts. I've been learning a lot here and know he would benefit from the knowledge and encouragement of you kind folks. I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should let him on here. So what think ye?

Thank you :D

We strive to keep RT family friendly so that all ages of rabbit raisers can benefit from the information here. :)

When he sets up his profile you might want to disable the PM feature so people can only interact with him on the public forum. Moderators and Administrators will still be able to contact him that way, but I don't foresee a reason we would need to.

The only sensitive material I've seen discussed on here would pertain to dispatching meat rabbits, methods of culling kits, and ways of handling predators or nuisance animals.

I personally wouldn't mind my own (almost)10 year daughter old seeing those types of discussions, but I can understand how some might.
In general, the RT forums are very civil.

And perhaps have a handle like "junior handler" so people will know they are responding to a 10 year old and not an adult and to prevent any cross generation miscommunication :mrgreen:

My son, Bunny-Wan Kenobi, signed up at age 8. :)

Of course, RT was much smaller then, as that was 4 years ago. RT was only a few months old. :lol:

I would still have no problem with him signing up at that age now. We strive to keep this a family-friendly, low-drama forum. We have some rare questionable content.

Then, of course, there are graphic discussions and photos in "Meat Rabbits" and "Management & Troubleshooting". I have no problem with my kids seeing that, and I would think it appropriate for a budding rabbit breeder. That is entirely up to you, though. You know what he can handle right now. :)

Let him sign up the education he would get on rabbits out weight any other minor issue, just let him know if he has any problems come talk to you about it. But you only have the say so on whether he can or can't, it all boils down to how you feel about it. I also like the idea of turning PM off and not showing an E-mail address for him. Or let him access under your ID to see how he likes it. Then make a decision.

As a teacher talking here, I would do a couple things. Monitor his account and access information with him so you can explain anything that he may be confused or upset about.
Also, so others know who they are talking to and keep their responses appropriate, I would have him indicate his age in the signature area. This is a great opportunity for him to learn chat rules and etiquette for the future.

Schipperkesue":m2c9j399 said:
This is a great opportunity for him to learn chat rules and etiquette for the future.

I think you will also be pleased by how his writing and communication skills develop.

I "Unschool" my kids, so they don't have any type of prescribed curriculum, rather they learn by doing things and researching what interests them. All three are members of a Lego forum called MOCPages (MyOwnCreation) where they post photos of their "builds" and write either a description or a story line to go along with it.

I have been really impressed by the development of their skills in those areas. They are always careful to make sure words are spelled correctly and that they are using correct punctuation.

Like RT, there are members of all ages, with a surprising number of adults, so they benefit from interacting with all age groups which I think is very important for proper social and intellectual development.

I think he'll be fine here. :) The benefits from posting on forums like this are huge. I gained so much knowledge and it helped me to express myself clearly to avoid confusion.

Big thank you to all of you! I'm about to set him up. Miss M, he was inspired by your son's handle. He will be Bunnikin Skywalker. :eek:

We home school our six children and he is our second oldest so I think he will greatly benefit from having to communicate his thoughts and ideas in writing. Please don't hesitate to put him back on the narrow way if he should stray, if you know what I mean. :D

RoosterMania":6ni1352u said:
Miss M, he was inspired by your son's handle. He will be Bunnikin Skywalker. :eek:
:p Bunny-Wan Kenobi will be very pleased, I am sure! :)

We home school our six children and he is our second oldest so I think he will greatly benefit from having to communicate his thoughts and ideas in writing.
I homeschool our two as well. :) They both have Asperger's. I have found RT to be of great value to both, for written communication skills. At first, I monitored every post they both made, and checked for spelling, punctuation, and all the little nuances the written word can have. I no longer need to monitor Galadriel's posts, and either she or I will check Bunny-Wan Kenobi's posts.

It has been particularly good for him, because he's dyslexic. Reading posts on RT has helped him with his reading, which used to be extremely difficult for him. Posting on RT has given me another opportunity to work with him on spelling and punctuation. Some of his older posts still have mistakes in them, because I didn't want to frustrate him to the point of not wanting to try any more. He still doesn't get all of them perfect before posting. It's been a hard road for him. :)

Please don't hesitate to put him back on the narrow way if he should stray, if you know what I mean. :D
:) I have a feeling that will be a rare event, indeed... if it ever happens at all.

Back