Is my rabbit sick?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean&Poppy

Reaction score
I have a 8 year old Netherland dwarf and I noticed he’s starting to feel lighter then usual and mind you he is a pretty big boy lol. He’s not the small typical Netherland dwarf bun until my friend told me he is a false Netherland dwarf where he’s not the tiny sized dwarf but he is rather on the bigger side and mind you when I first got him I thought that’s how big they’re supposed to be (I got him when he was 6 months old). But he is still eating and drinking water and is himself overall but whenever I pick him up I do notice he feels lighter and I can slightly feel his spine vs when I pet my 5 month told rex where I don’t feel her spine at all. I noticed his fur is a bit course now when it use to be silk soft. He’s never had any health issues or anything in the 8 years I’ve had him ): is he okay? Is it just old age catching up?

it's hard to say.
but I know when my rabbits age they start getting thinner despite eating well.
Do you vet your rabbits? if so, might be worth taking a fecal sample in just to make sure he doesn't have intestinal parasites.

Sounds like the beginning of kidney issues :( the weight loss, coarse fur are a few of the signs, any changes in water intake, pee frequency/volume & quality? Blood tests would help point it out, else sherwood professional line pellets would help with the fur & weight gain & a good supplement like oxbow urinary support would go a long way too

Back